Abnormal Idle Temp - i5-8400 & NH-L9i (65c avg w/ ASUS Z370i)

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hi SFF-Forum,

im having really weird temperature issues with my build below:

SilverWolf (Skyreach 4 Mini)

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/HYPERTiZ/saved/Lcyr7P

This is with MCE, Turbo & Sidestep disabled.

i5-8400 & Noctua L9i idle Temp in a Skyreach 4 Mini (R2)

---
EDIT - TLDR - Problem was the fact that the Heatsink orientation is in reverse meaning (the gap that was intended for the m.2 slot's height) was giving the cooler an elevated position with the M.2 slot. flipping it around (fan too for convenience) fixed the temp issues... - Thank you everyone for your help especially (NFC) Josh for suggesting whether it was installed backwards!

im not sure if its related to installation issues because of the m.2 slot and installing it while inside the case?
or a slightly bigger than pea sized paste or its terrible spread with the cooler?

Because when I install the Intel Stock Cooler it hovers around 39-45c idle - a much more realistic and safe temps and running with turbo never exceeds 80c which means its doing its job. I find it strange how many other coolers I never had problems but this is the most frustrating cooler I had ever installed - temp wise.

Last edited:

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
You may have applied too little thermal paste or your cooler isn't properly mounted. Try re-applying TIM and re-installing the cooler.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
You may have applied too little thermal paste or your cooler isn't properly mounted. Try re-applying TIM and re-installing the cooler.

i'm sure I had gave it a good amount of thermal paste the size of a fully grown pea.
the paste used is Artic Silver 5.

I had fun trying to install I think 7 times re-seating it while inside the case and hand tightened it upside down to ensure gravity pressure.

I tried my best to ensure it was adequately aligned with the holes too. initially I first boot into bios reported 29c then later jumps to 49c and stays at that.

then theres the new screenshots I added of the temps when it ran far cry 5 - one at the main menu and one literally sitting idle within a minute.

It may possibly be my seating of the cooler. I will take it to a computer store on Monday for them to give it a shot :|

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If TIM re-application and cooler re-seating do not work, check these:-
1. make sure your cooler is installed orienting in the 'better' direction. Usually either with the cooler fins running parallel or perpendicular to the memory sticks is a 'better' one.
2. make sure the cooler fan is running at proper rpm. Check fan speed profile.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
If TIM re-application and cooler re-seating do not work, check these:-
1. make sure your cooler is installed orienting in the 'better' direction. Usually either with the cooler fins running parallel or perpendicular to the memory sticks is a 'better' one.
2. make sure the cooler fan is running at proper rpm. Check fan speed profile.

I found it to be running around 1800 rpm and everytime I installed the cooler I made sure that the fins are pointing parallel with the ram sticks - since Josh's video pointed out about optimal cooling as the air is exhausted through the fin gaps and facing towards the ram would exhaust hot air onto the ram sticks instead if it were the case.

I could reseat it but im not sure if I have enough for another paste install - I completely used up the supplied paste with the Noctua L9i Cooler and I believe there might be one or two uses left from my Artic Silver 5 O_O...

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
just out of curiosity - when I put it to sleep then wake up its like 39-40c - except that was short lived joy.

then decided to boot up far cry 5 - it shooted up to 60cs at the main menu then right up to 90cs well within 20 seconds after it loaded the game world.

Looks like it aint havin it. It could be the pressure when I mounted it maybe not sure...

I'll remove it off - take photos and reinstall the stock cooler for now then.

so everyone here can see how I installed it

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Can you provide us with a screenshot of task menager?

There could be a change that there are a lot of background processes running.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Please check your cooler's fan cable doesn't interfere with any other component thereby affecting the seating with the processor...
I had the problem where the fan cable for interfering with m2 heatsink. Removing and reseating the heatsink sorted it..

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
So I dissassembled my noctua cooler install, took images of how the paste spread of the noctua, installed intel cooler and tested far cry 5 - here are the results though..

To note - disabled turbo in both instances noctua use and intel use

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Please check your cooler's fan cable doesn't interfere with any other component thereby affecting the seating with the processor...
I had the problem where the fan cable for interfering with m2 heatsink. Removing and reseating the heatsink sorted it..

I always turned for convienance to face the fan's cabling towards the rear so it can hook underneath - that being said though should the cooler be extremely tight to say on the m.2 slot - gut feeling tat would give it a mm or so that could give such a high temp or would it be my lack of pressure from the initial push compared to the compete screwed in position?

Please have a look at the recent post that contains the new imgur link

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Can you provide us with a screenshot of task menager?

There could be a change that there are a lot of background processes running.
I have at start up things like discord, teamviewer, skyfont, hamachi, steam on start up but it shouldn't be that anywhere near that bad since I disabled turbo.

That being said installing the stock intel cooler made a healthy 39c to mid 40c.

I think the problem is my horrid seating of the Noctua L9i. I recently just posted an imgur link to a gallery showing the state of the paste spread after the temp issues above.

I never installed any programs since I attempted installing the noctua L9i cooler - the only purpose I effectively use it is RPCS3 or Gaming.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I would say that is too much TIM, I use about half that amount. From looking at the pics when you removed the Noctua the cooler is not being tightened enough, you should have better spread over the CPU.

Your TIM should look similar to this if properly applied.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Is that spread before or after installation?
If that's before use a credit card and spread evenly...
And I could notice all the screws are not everly tightened.. check that too

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Is that spread before or after installation?
If that's before use a credit card and spread evenly...
And I could notice all the screws are not everly tightened.. check that too
I tightened it with a screwdriver too - but not excessively hard like full turning with the noctua screws - im certain I might not be pushing it hard enough to the motherboard as I've been installing it within the case.

I sort of tried the credit card method but im really bad at it. Yes that is after I removed the cooler from the motherboard. Everytime I uninstalled it it ended up like that but with the intel it was fully spread

I pretty certain that I must be applying inadequete force to push the cooler into place despite the m.2, the vram heatsink and RAM sticks on the MB hindering the positioning of the Noctua L9i Cooler.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Looking at the pics, it seems to me the quantity of paste is enough. But the spread is so limited that this is likely be the problem. And the cause is most likely be insufficient contact (pressure) as the cooler is not pressed down enough. You really need to double and triple check your installation.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Looking at the pics, it seems to me the quantity of paste is enough. But the spread is so limited that this is likely be the problem. And the cause is most likely be insufficient contact (pressure) as the cooler is not pressed down enough. You really need to double and triple check your installation.
I'll 100% take out the MB from my case and do it properly. I think its because I did those installs while it was in the case with everything still attached.

Ironically I installed it 7 times but never realised the cooler was despite being really tight - I think you and rfarmer is right.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
You need to find out why the cooler is not fully pressed down to provide sufficient contact pressure. This is the root cause. Simply using a credit card to spread the paste would not help much the the 2 contact surfaces of the CPU IHS and the cooler must have a good sufficient contact.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's indeed the cooler's pressure that's at fault here, otherwise the paste would have been spread to the outside like the above image.

Be sure to always tighten heatsinks cross-wise and in turns:
- tighten the first screw a few turns
- tighten the screw diagonally opposite a few turns
- tighten the third screw a few turns
- tighten the the screw diagonally oppsite a few turns
And repeat.

When you start to notice it's getting harder to tighten, be sure to tighten them roughly with the same force and continue to tighten. In the end check if the board is not warped, otherwise unwind the screws a little to straighten it back.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
It's indeed the cooler's pressure that's at fault here, otherwise the paste would have been spread to the outside like the above image.

Be sure to always tighten heatsinks cross-wise and in turns:
- tighten the first screw a few turns
- tighten the screw diagonally opposite a few turns
- tighten the third screw a few turns
- tighten the the screw diagonally oppsite a few turns
And repeat.

When you start to notice it's getting harder to tighten, be sure to tighten them roughly with the same force and continue to tighten. In the end check if the board is not warped, otherwise unwind the screws a little to straighten it back.

so I shot an email to Josh and I told him that I angled the cooler so that the fan's cabling is pointed towards the motherboard IO - he then considered checking if it was 'backwards'.

So I promptly checked the bottom of the cooler and the manual and by god was Josh was correct!

To my shock, I wondered why I was having slightly install issues... I had this gut feeling at the back of the head considering the heatsink was touching the m.2 housing. The gap side was facing opposite of the m.2 slot.
That was the cause of the temps no matter how tight I would have installed it.

After swapping the fan & the heatsink orientation around 180 - and enabled turbo - I never exceed
at bootup to 60cs and it then idles to 39-45c

I then promptly tested Far Cry 5 again -
average 60-mid 60cs to 70c max.

Wow.

Last edited: