a12 9800

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Hey guys. I found the a12 9800 available on taobao, and now that amd updated their bios to allow ram timing info, the apu has amazing performance in gaming. (for what it is)

Im considering doing a fully passive, extremely tiny build with this cpu. Any of you interested? ( this was just a notification for those of you who dont know about taobao, also I found some on alibaba)

its an am4 socket.

edit: here are some sites where u can get it.

https://www.csl-computer.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=13001

https://world.taobao.com/item/546842118763.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Twinstar

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Waittt, is this a Ryzen CPU with an iGPU? I thought those weren't out yet?
this is an extremely refined piledriver cpu, with an igpu. Its the very best they could get out of last gen apus, on am4. Its the very best apu out until raven ridge Its code named bristol ridge.

Reactions: NateDawg72

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Better than Broadwell or the iGPU in the skull canyon NUC?
Im not sure on that, those are pretty damn powerful and hard to find. I meant the best amd apu.

These are only like 100 bucks on taobao, last i checked.

i put links in OP

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Would this be better than say a 1050 ti and a i5 4690k?
nah. Itd be good enough to run most games at 1366x768 , 30-40 fps, low settings. but any higher is pushing it. could try to overclock the crap of the IGPU and squeeze some extra performance out of it. ALSO, pay attention to your ram, use the fastest ram you can, because the igpu relies on it , and scales directly to your ram speed.

itd be REALLY good for one of those super tiny cases that wont fit a gpu. but might have trouble overclocking it in a tiny case without a good cooler.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
nah. Itd be good enough to run most games at 1366x768 , 30-40 fps, low settings. but any higher is pushing it. could try to overclock the crap of the IGPU and squeeze some extra performance out of it. ALSO, pay attention to your ram, use the fastest ram you can, because the igpu relies on it , and scales directly to your ram speed.

I looked at the A12 and found this is a bit of a problem, I think AM4 has poor support for high speed RAM right now so your only choice is DDR4 2400. In the end the performance is only marginally better than Kaveri on DDR3 2133mhz so it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Would be interesting project so long as it can be upgraded to Vega/Zen based APU's but I don't think it's a good buy right now. Probably part of why AMD didn't release it to the consumer market.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016

itd be REALLY good for one of those super tiny cases that wont fit a gpu. but might have trouble overclocking it in a tiny case without a good cooler.
Ah, I was considering going for it, but it doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade from my 4690k GPU. I'm planning a 1050ti single slot + i5 build in sub 5L.

Reactions: Bambam625

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
I looked at the A12 and found this is a bit of a problem, I think AM4 has poor support for high speed RAM right now so your only choice is DDR4 2400. In the end the performance is only marginally better than Kaveri on DDR3 2133mhz so it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Would be interesting project so long as it can be upgraded to Vega/Zen based APU's but I don't think it's a good buy right now. Probably part of why AMD didn't release it to the consumer market.
it would be a good buy, because when raven ridge comes out, you can drop one of those in the pc youre using. just limp this along until raven ridge drops. just my two cents.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'm waiting to see what Raven Ridge can offer. Right now its rumored at 700-ish Stream cores i think? So RX460 with DDR4 @ 3000mhz isn't sounding so great right now, especially not when there are several LP 1050 ti's on the market.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
I'm waiting to see what Raven Ridge can offer. Right now its rumored at 700-ish Stream cores i think? So RX460 with DDR4 @ 3000mhz isn't sounding so great right now, especially not when there are several LP 1050 ti's on the market.
It all depends on how raven ridge ends up being. I honestly doubt itll be too bad. They have time to improve it as well. If it can match the performance of a 460, thats solid performance for an apu, imo. And itll appeal to the SUPER small form factor guys, and it should be pretty affordable, wont have to buy a dedicated gpu.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
except the RX460 has GDDR5 @ 7000mhz so the APU wouldn't come close to touching that either. I got a few problems with the APU concept in general - it works great for laptops but on a desktop it don't make a lot of sense to me

R5 1400 is $170, so for me I look at the added cost of the APU's graphics and performance, and compare to the GT 1030 / 1050 / 1050 ti and RX 550 / 560. I can get all of those in LP, which means the added volume is pretty negligible.

The biggest problem for the APU in my view is, even if the initial cost/performance is the same as the GTX1050 LP for example, I can't pay another $100 in a couple years and get an increase in performance, i need to buy an all new APU.

Not trying to take a dump on APU's and derail this arguement. I own a Kaveri APU and ITX board, but I think it's helpful for people to be aware of the drawbacks of the system and also aware of the actual performance of these systems and what they can be compared to.

Reactions: JosephEK

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Except that the bristol ridge uses vega cores and not polaris.

So?

What's the IPC improvement of Vega over Polaris? Polaris wasn't that big of an improvement in performance over Tonga. If Vega has the same improvements over Polaris, then the APU is still way short of a discrete card, and it's still running DDR4 at half the clock speeds of GDDR5 in most budget cards.

Also FYI, seems the A12 9800 and A8 9600 are both available through JD.com, a more traditional retailer.

https://item.jd.com/4905540.html
https://item.jd.com/11971855895.html?jd_pop=1af2a589-62fe-440f-88e1-7ac48f48b835&abt=0

Last edited:

Karamazovmm

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2016
If you have any benchmarks stating the performance I'm all ears. Otherwise there is very little reason for speculation

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
its a great deal for someone who is a cheapass, and want a super cheap pc, that can also game. itll play just about anything at roughly 30 fps at 768p. not bad. Especially if you have low standards ,and are broke, and just want to play some games. Also, if you use it to build a rig, and later want to add a gpu, or want to swap for a better ryzen chip, you have that option.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
If you have any benchmarks stating the performance I'm all ears. Otherwise there is very little reason for speculation

I haven't seen anything except the last 5 years of APU performance and GPU performance, which shows that the performance is going to be significantly under a 1050 unless AMD figures out the memory bottleneck, which nobody has provided accurate information to say it has.

I'm not speculating on performance I'm just stating that others claims of 1050 level of performance based on current info are unrealistic. Simply having 'vega' cores doesn't mean it's going to perform at a certain level.