A Skyreach 4 Mini at a 6 or 7 Liter with SFX PSU compatibility would be HUGE

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
I think the S4M is an awesome case. In fact, the build quality is astounding and I would only trust someone talented like Josh to pull off another amazing case.

That being said, with the recent power hungry CPUs and RTX 3000 series, I wonder how many of you guys would be interested in a S4M bigger version case that allows for SFX PSU compatibility. Current 400W from HDPlex closes off a lot of options.

Currently SFX PSU can accomadate as high as 750W - 850Ws. With that in mind, you would have no issues with 3060 ti, or even a 3070 or 3080 as long as the case allows for the size.

Velka 7 achieved 6 Liters with full length GPU compatibility and SFX psu. Many 7 Liter cases allow for full size GPU with a SFX PSU. I wonder if it's feasible to do a SFX PSU with a 220m GPU length to bring the overall volume down.

It would essentially completely be the "go-to" option at 6 or 7 Liter with NFC's build quality. Wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Disclaimer: I'm not arguing for any changes to S4M. That case is perfect as it is. Only saying a new bigger case from NFC would be amazing if Josh was interested in such a project.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
with the recent power hungry CPUs and RTX 3000 series, I wonder how many of you guys would be interested in a S4M bigger version case that allows for SFX PSU compatibility. Current 400W from HDPlex closes off a lot of options.

Currently SFX PSU can accomadate as high as 750W - 850Ws. With that in mind, you would have no issues with 3060 ti, or even a 3070 or 3080 as long as the case allows for the size.

Velka 7 achieved 6 Liters with full length GPU compatibility and SFX psu. Many 7 Liter cases allow for full size GPU with a SFX PSU.

this already exists, but NFC Systems just hasn't disclosed that info yet.

if you notice NFC Systems only disclosed the " S4T " officially 2 weeks ago, but obviously they've been working on it, for several years before that.

if you want details on a SFX-powered NFC case, you can wait until around june or july.

its not the same as a SkyReach 4 Mini, which has an official NFC logo, its a case which is manufactured by NFC Systems, or a company that works with them.

Last edited:

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
this already exists, but NFC Systems just hasn't disclosed that info yet.

if you notice NFC Systems only disclosed the " S4T " officially 2 weeks ago
but obviously they've been working on it for several years before that.

if you want details on a SFX-powered NFC case, you can wait until around june or july.

That would be awesome. Hopefully it's still sticking by the theme as "small as possible with X or Y components"

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
That would be awesome.

case is approximately 321mm X 316mm X 67mm, and SFX PSU compatible.

SFX-L units will not fit.

its not the same as a SkyReach 4 Mini, which has an official NFC logo, its a case which is manufactured by NFC Systems, or a company that works with them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jaeparku

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I wonder if it's feasible to do a SFX PSU with a 220m GPU length to bring the overall volume down.
For a console-style case, not really. The most space efficient setup is to have the PSU in front of the motherboard which dictates the depth of the case. SFX PSU is 125mm, ITX motherboard is 170mm, so that's a minimum of around 300mm depth. So your max supported GPU is around 295mm+. There's no arrangement using an SFX PSU and shorter GPU in a flat, console-style layout that saves any more volume.

See the Zaber Sentry or Silverstone RVZ02 and ML08 (among others) for examples of cases with this layout.

Reactions: jaeparku

garou81

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017
I think the S4M is an awesome case. In fact, the build quality is astounding and I would only trust someone talented like Josh to pull off another amazing case.
NECERE could definitely pull it off if he wanted. It seems to me that the only way to get a smaller case is to use smaller components. I prioritize size and style over power. Have you considered the sentry or node 202.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
The perfect size.

however, a drawback to this size is that GPUs can be only 125-130mm wide (deep) .

Last edited:

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
NECERE could definitely pull it off if he wanted. It seems to me that the only way to get a smaller case is to use smaller components. I prioritize size and style over power. Have you considered the sentry or node 202.

Node 202 is too big and build quality too poor for my tastes and bad thermals. I haven't had a chance with sentry 2.0, but it's OOS everywhere.

Yeah, I also think he can pull it off. Question is, would they be interested in such projects.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
For a console-style case, not really. The most space efficient setup is to have the PSU in front of the motherboard which dictates the depth of the case. SFX PSU is 125mm, ITX motherboard is 170mm, so that's a minimum of around 300mm depth. So your max supported GPU is around 295mm+. There's no arrangement using an SFX PSU and shorter GPU in a flat, console-style layout that saves any more volume.

See the Zaber Sentry or Silverstone RVZ02 and ML08 (among others) for examples of cases with this layout.

Ah I see. That makes sense. welp, I'm more of a fan of shoebox shape anyway. I think the only case I can think of that has the PSU in front of mobo is maybe the Lazer LZ7...

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Node 202 is too big

I haven't had a chance with sentry 2.0, but it's OOS everywhere.

which is why we need this SFX-powered NFC case.

i'm hoping NFC Systems will have it ready, by june or july.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I think the only case I can think of that has the PSU in front of mobo is maybe the Lazer LZ7...

NFC Systems' 1st prototype has a SFX power unit, in front.

2nd prototype uses a Flex PSU, which is also in front.

there's a chance that the final version is Flex only,
using a semi-silent 600W Flex unit : https://www.velkase.com/products/enp-7660b

Last edited:

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018

its 2nd prototype uses a Flex PSU, which is also in front.

The flex only is a bit of a disappointment - the real reason why I want to avoid flex psu's is that they are seen as unreliable and are much louder than their SFX counterparts.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
awesome!!!! that comes out to be roughly 6.7 Liters.

the case itself is open air, but goes with a top cover, which is around 0.2 litres.

so in total, it adds up to approximately a 6.9 litres case.

Last edited:

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018

its 2nd prototype uses a Flex PSU, which is also in front.

I've heard lots of bad issues with flex units in general, including that one you linked. The last one I used to build a sffpc for my brother sounded like a jet engine. Hopefully this one uses a SFX psu...

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I've heard lots of bad issues with flex units in general, including that one you linked.

no.

@VELKASE Michael has near perfect customer service ratings on SFF Forum,
& the link to his semi-silent unit is here : https://www.velkase.com/products/enp-7660b

you're confusing his model with SFFTEC's, who has horrible customer service.

guarantee you a unit from @VELKASE Michael is semi-silent.

i have no reason not to tell you the truth.

case is not the same as a SkyReach 4 Mini, which has an official NFC logo, its a case which is manufactured by NFC Systems, or a company that works with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
NFC Systems confirms the ENP-7660B will be working in semi-silent mode, so we don't need to fear excess noise.

also, i believe an EVGA RTX 3090 will fit in this case : https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=24G-P5-3973-KR

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I've heard lots of bad issues with flex units in general, including that one you linked.

@jaeparku ,although most Flex units are bad/noisy, we are specifically talking about units which are excellent/not noisy.

see Flex unit review, by REVOCCASES : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...power-supply-from-taobao-7760b-mf-700f.16456/

what motive would I, or REVOCCASES, have to not tell the truth; as we're not making any money off the units, that we're talking about ??

finally- note that the modular Flex unit i'm talking about, is around $70 cheaper than modular AliExpress ENP-7660B units [ http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001971974182.html ] ,meaning that even after costs to do a Noctua fan swap, its price still evens out to around the same.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
2nd prototype uses a Flex PSU, which is also in front.

this 2nd prototype will be ready, in about 2 weeks.