A SFF part finder.

BottleNext

Caliper Novice
Original poster
BottleNext
Apr 9, 2016
www.bottlenext.com
Trying to find good parts take up a lot of time from all of us. Wouldn't it be great we we had a place to go where the special SSF parts where to be found that we need and the prices.

Like a section for every type of product with its specifications in extreme detail.
It could be a community entry database.

I found some cool things already that are hard to find. Like vapor champer CPU Cooler and a 5cm pci-e extender cable.
It could add a lot of value to the website as saving time equals value.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's linked at the top of every page! :p Plus we already own enough URLs :/ (we even own a couple that aren't being used...yet ;))

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I could see for very specialty/niche items adding a "Where to Buy" section and links to the relevant wiki page. Prices and currencies are so fluid that pricing information, if included on the wiki page, ought to include the currency and date the price was checked.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I could see for very specialty/niche items adding a "Where to Buy" section and links to the relevant wiki page. Prices and currencies are so fluid that pricing information, if included on the wiki page, ought to include the currency and date the price was checked.

I already did a bit of that for the FlexATX PSUs under the section "Availability", or at least I said whether they are available or not.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Only way to really have price listings work is if it's automatically pulled from store pages.

That's not terribly complicated functionality to provide, though, and we may be able to find and integrate a solution that automatically appends this to a page that's about a specific product.

Though we might be limited to pointing folks to the big players - Newegg and Amazon - since combing the whole web for availability and pricing is a bit more of a herculean effort.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
A known good link and the date it was added (or checked) should be sufficient. Pricing can be discovered by clicking the link. If the link is dead, that can be recorded too.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Or you could link it it automatically to partner websites along with referrals. This way you get some steady income going on click-throughs that don't invade privacy or security the way ads do.

Reactions: Ceros_X

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That's I great idea, I would prefer if those partner websites were price comparison sites, not actual shops. Ideally, you'd have a separate site for every major area in the world.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A known good link and the date it was added (or checked) should be sufficient. Pricing can be discovered by clicking the link. If the link is dead, that can be recorded too.

The way I'd want to build it, in a perfect world, would be to have some really simple and lightweight js that was appended to the end of all pages that we knew were for products (so, just for some sections). It would then work like this:

1. The js would pull the title of the page (so the name of the product).
2. Both Amazon and Newegg have APIs for retrieving pricing and product information live. In this way, instead of depending on the server to batch update every now and then, users would get immediate current price quotes as the page loads.
3. We'd present the price and a direct link for both Amazon and Newegg. If it wasn't available, we'd just say "not available" or something.
4. AFAIK, camelcamelcamel doesn't provide an easy way to embed pricing histograms of products, but man would I like to include that. I might reach out and ask whether or not they're open to such a thing if we prominently linked to them or something.

I haven't built much js in my life, though, so I don't know what the complexity of a bespoke solution would look like. This doesn't seem like a lot, though. Additionally, there may be existing embedded or XenForo-based solutions that do 90% of all this, and we'd probably prefer using those since we'd get more reliable support. We just haven't looked into it much yet.

Or you could link it it automatically to partner websites along with referrals. This way you get some steady income going on click-throughs that don't invade privacy or security the way ads do.

I've actually brought this up internally. In the long term, we're going to have to subsidize the cost of the wiki somehow, as right now only the forum (through donations, which are a little under costs as of today) and the news site (through laughably low ad revenue, at least currently) are seeing back any money to offset our growing expenses. But there's definitely something just seemingly awkward and off-putting about putting advertising on a knowledge resource... or worse yet, doing a sponsorship. The veracity and objectiveness of the wiki would undoubtedly be questioned.

Comparatively, by having a blind automated system implemented that gave folks a feature they actually want anyway - the ability to see the price of a component right now, which is certainly pertinent and valuable information - we'd be able to systematically avoid any bias in terms of components and products themselves, ensuring that user's trust in content is maintained.

There are downsides, though. This functionality couldn't be exhaustive, crawling all over the web for the absolute best deal, and it could be argued that we'd be biased towards the likes of Newegg and Amazon, who offer affiliate programs. Furthermore, we'd have an incentive to drive creation of wiki pages more for products than for other resources that wouldn't be monetized, at least in theory. In fact, one could argue that we'd have an incentive to have wiki pages on products editorialize or use more positive language, though I don't personally believe this would happen for a variety of reasons.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
We'd present the price and a direct link for both Amazon and Newegg. If it wasn't available, we'd just say "not available" or something.

Pretty sure geizhals.at has an API as well, so Europe could be covered as well.
Ideally you'd supply search links to a few search engines, so people could quickly check whether the product is available anywhere else.

Still, that is a pretty great idea, but I share your concerns about sponsorships.
The problem might not even be that you suddenly talk about a product more positively because you have an affilitation with the brand, but that you overcompensate against that effect and are suddenly more critical of the product. Either way, a neutral stance isn't guaranteed anymore, and even if it was you'd have a hard time proving it.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I think affiliate links are the way to go. Most people are going to opt for Newegg and Amazon (and if not, at least price check them) - Nothing wrong with making money off purchases through links IMO.

You wouldn't be favoring a certain type of hardware. Just a certain type of vendor.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Would there be any benefit to using the affiliate program on a page by page item over say everybody just using a PCPartpicker-esque service privately, other than as a revenue stream for the site?