A Powerful Gaming Rig at <5L

bkro37

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
Hello all!
So I always look at mini-itx cases nowadays and think, "huh, those are nice and small, but if I buy a mini-itx graphics card, that's a considerable amount of space going to waste."
On the other hand, there's really no good way to optimize that space, because let's say the mobo, GPU, and PSU are all "boxes"... well, there is no optimal space setup for three boxes; whereas, if the GPU is full-length (two "boxes"), then two main optimal designs manifest: the layout of the A4-SFX, and that of the Node 202.
But there has to be a way, I thought. So which of the other two "boxes" could change? The power supply, surely! What power supply is high enough power, but not a "box" at all? Why, Flex ATX!
Introducing the smallest by volume gaming rig that can house, and power, a GTX 1070 no problem:

I won't take a ton of time explaining the design, as I'm sure most of you are very astute when it comes to these things.
Now, the only thing I don't have included in the drawing is a mounting for the PCIe riser cable. I'm not 100% sure on the measurements there, so I'll add when needed. Also not shown is a wraparound top/sides panel, fully vented and hopefully fully filtered, at least on the sides.
Anyways, the one 2.5" drive is shown in red, and everything else is pretty darn obvious as to where it goes.
Thoughts? Advice? Shade to be thrown?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Phuncz

bkro37

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
There are at least two projects that are very similar to this and quite far along in development:
Hutzy XS
MI6
I had seen the MI6, and noted that it was sitting at 6.7L (not considerably smaller than A4/202). But that Hutzy looks identical to my design, wow! I was wondering if anyone had laid this out already. Thanks!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I don't see any major issues with a case having the same layout as an existing product - just look at the mainstream case market!

Reactions: eggDK

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I don't see any major issues with a case having the same layout as an existing product - just look at the mainstream case market!
Sure, and it's not my intent to dissuade someone from doing a custom case project if that's what they really want to do. I only bring up those existing projects because it is a lot of work and/or money to design and build a case oneself, and if there's something available (or soon to be) that's nearly the same thing, then it might make more sense to look at those instead.

Of course, if you're really particular about specific features or aesthetics, doing your own custom case is the only way to go.

Reactions: confusis

bkro37

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
Sure, and it's not my intent to dissuade someone from doing a custom case project if that's what they really want to do. I only bring up those existing projects because it is a lot of work and/or money to design and build a case oneself, and if there's something available (or soon to be) that's nearly the same thing, then it might make more sense to look at those instead.

Of course, if you're really particular about specific features or aesthetics, doing your own custom case is the only way to go.
Oh, I appreciate it! I was only going to really attempt that project if somehow that layout hadn't been done, which it seems it has! Perhaps I'll nab one whenever it hits the shelves. For now, the RVZ02 will do me well.
Totally unrelated question, on that note... I was thinking about getting the mini 1070, then cutting out the plate for the mini optical drive, and putting a 120mm fan for active exhaust, drawing from both the GPU and mobo. Would this work as intended, do you think?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Totally unrelated question, on that note... I was thinking about getting the mini 1070, then cutting out the plate for the mini optical drive, and putting a 120mm fan for active exhaust, drawing from both the GPU and mobo. Would this work as intended, do you think?
The RVZ02 already has pretty open ventilation, so I'm not sure it would make any great difference. I actually don't think cutting out the divider will amount to much; the major benefit will probably be in pulling some of the GPU exhaust out of the case, rather than heat from the CPU side.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

Ah, thanks for clarifying :)