Enclosure A case that will match this one in size?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have noticed amazon says discontinued also/
The floppy drive bezel gives it away that it's quite old :D It's also quite large at 27L, but large HTPC cases are still around, for example Silverstone. But the perforated front panel is quite unique for the HTPC design, I don't know of any alternatives

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
27L is weight not size... Why does that matter? Besides the Element Q, that is the smallest case that doesn't need a riser.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The L is for liters. So converting to Freedom units the case is ~1648 cubic inches.

I actually lol'd at this :p I'm totally using "freedom units" in all of my remaining math and engineering courses this semester haha.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
It is just hard to find a case that is actually small, with a ODD slot & no risers needed with more than 1 slot...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If you don't need ATX and can live with mATX, Silverstone has four cases for you at around 22L (liters):

SG01

Link: http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=196&area=en

SG02

Link: http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=182&area=en

SG11

Link: http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=535&area=en

SG12

Link: http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=540&area=en

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
I have the SG01, I was just thinking Element Q size (nor exact) with 2 slots & a bit more height for dual width gpu power connectors...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Then you might want to take a look at the SG13:

That's pretty much exactly what you're asking for, and it's probably the smallest case that fits your constraints.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
There are a few really nice cases coming from Lian Li that were displayed at Computex this year. I am writing the PR and doing the YouTube video for them now.
You can look for the Q10, Q17 (won't be in North Am, sorry) and something for shorter GPU like the Q21. Sorry I can't show you more, but Logan from the Tek shows them fairly well in his video.
Anand shows some as well, but not so much: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9368/lian-li-computex-2015-booth-tour
Actually.. never mind, he only shows the big ones....

When I have the teasers ready for our blog, I will let you all know!
Thanks
Kip

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Be sure to keep us posted and you can always make a new topic for new products ofcourse.

I have been amazed by Lian-Li's ability to reinvent themselves, with the new tempered glass tops and aluminium beam construction, also the wall-mountable cases deserve mention as do the desk cases. Although I find the feet on those horribly tacky (TV dinner table style). I'd definitely would love to see some more community interactivity going on, like a case design competition and a special design/finish line that include some rare materials or unique finishes, along with some form of customization.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Did you say exotic materials?! Does anyone have some transparent aluminum they can send me :)
No reason, I just want to take the "all aluminum" to the extreme.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe some Magnesium or Titanium elements or some carbon-fiber, maybe polished stainless steel. I'd love to see some more creative use of materials for some really unique cases.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Did you say exotic materials?! Does anyone have some transparent aluminum they can send me :)
I'm not sure anyone is manufacturing Sapphire sheets that large.

::EDIT:: If you want exotic materials, it seems like production of ultralight Magnesium-Lithium alloys is ramping up. Lenovo have a laptop (LaVie-Z) making extensive use of them for weight reduction.
On the other end of the scale, Tungsten is an interesting material. As well as being very, VERY dense, it's also incredibly hard and stiff. Even small thin-walled objects feel solid and hefty even if mostly hollow. Not too fun to machine though.

Last edited:

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Thanks Edz. But Lian Li is all about Aluminum. Myself, I am a Titanium guy, even my wedding ring is Ti, but Tungsten is worth looking into. Didn't someone foam it?
Magnesium-Lithium, so it explodes and burns :p

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I think there are some Tungsten foams, but mainly for extreme refractory use (and given Tungsten's properties, I can't imagine foaming it is easy, or anywhere close to reasonably priced!).
AFAIK, Mg-Li isn't particularly more flammable than other Magnesium alloys. If something in your case is getting hot enough to ignite light metals, you already have a Very Big Problem. Pure Magnesium needs to hit over 470°C to ignite, alloys typically ignite at over 800°C, and some aero-grade alloys can reach over 1100°C. When as a bulk block or sheet, it's not nearly as flammable as when a powder or ribbon.
One issue with Mg-Li is I don't think anyone has a solid anodisation process worked out yet, so the surface is relatively soft and dentable compared to anodised Aluminium.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
One of the Lian Li cases exhibited at Computex 2015 was (I believe) a steel case with the design partially inherited from Lancool K62. I still have K62r2 sitting in my room.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
One of the Lian Li cases exhibited at Computex 2015 was (I believe) a steel case with the design partially inherited from Lancool K62. I still have K62r2 sitting in my room.

Yes, that was a nice case. Bigger than SFF would like, eh ;)
Exception proves the rule, right? But that case should be a modders go to for a while, and a dremel masters dream.

transparent aluminum is real! Star Trek would not lie to me! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride
I really want a small square of it, just for fun. There is no need for a bullet proof case :)