Concept A 12.5L Exercise on Balance and Intention

sylphz

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 29, 2018
For those who prioritize volume above all else, this one probably isn't for you.

Hi fellow builders, a few months ago I was in pursuit of a case that was compact, quiet, and supported a windowed side panel. I couldn't find anything I liked on the market so I ended up going the DIY route.

Designing and building the case really got me thinking about the recent advancements in SFF enclosures, and the direction the niche has taken.

A lot of sacrifices were made in pursuit of minimizing volume, and folks have gotten really creative at making exotic layouts using off-the-shelf parts. The problem is that most PC components are designed with an intended layout in mind - classic ATX. The unconventional arrangements which stray from this presumption end up requiring shims such as right-angle C14 extensions, PCIe risers, or even custom length PSU cables.

Of course, these challenges are what makes this niche interesting for most of us here, but that's not what this one is about.

I'm here to explore the idea of a minimal ITX case built with a traditional ATX layout.

At 160mm (W) * 260mm (D) * 300mm (H), I think it ends up being quite elegant.
The footprint is very compact, and we open up a lot room for the components to breathe.
Support:
  • Motherboard: mITX
  • Cooling: 92mm tower
  • GFX: 220mm Mini style *if everything is getting smaller, why shouldn't the graphics card?
  • PSU: SFX/SFX-L
  • Storage: 2*2.5"

Just by virtue of the layout, we get some nice freebies:
  • Efficient front to back airflow design - I took the liberty of using two 140mm fans. A 240 rad would fit as well.
  • Single area intake allows for effective dust filtration - This is something most SFF enclosures completely sacrifice.
  • Space for powerful CPU cooling - No more L9s or C7s.
  • Windowed side panel - For showing off all the HW that gets prettier and more RGB year by year.

I would love to hear what you guys think.

Cheers,
Ben

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I'm here to explore the idea of a minimal ITX case built with a traditional ATX layout.

Put a pair of 80x25mm Noctuas over the motherboard I/O & you will have a Spartan Jr. chassis...

Unless your PSU is flipped & the intake is from within the chassis, you might need to make the feet a bit taller so the PSU can breathe properly...?

Also, I would check the current crop of ITX-sized GPUs (including the Zotac 'Mini' lineup, which are longer than 'standard' ITX-sized GPUs) for height; a lot of the smaller GPUs are also TALL, which means fitment issues, especially with the PCI power connectors & windowed panel...

sylphz

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 29, 2018
Put a pair of 80x25mm Noctuas over the motherboard I/O & you will have a Spartan Jr. chassis...

Unless your PSU is flipped & the intake is from within the chassis, you might need to make the feet a bit taller so the PSU can breathe properly...?

Also, I would check the current crop of ITX-sized GPUs (including the Zotac 'Mini' lineup, which are longer than 'standard' ITX-sized GPUs) for height; a lot of the smaller GPUs are also TALL, which means fitment issues, especially with the PCI power connectors & windowed panel...

Appreciate your feedback Boil :thumb:

I certainly didn't expect to be the first to try this style, and unfortunately I didn't see the Spartan until now. Catching up on the thread, it seems the Spartan was initially designed to be much smaller of a case. What I found surprising was that my implementation hit on a lot of the feedback that was given to the Spartan:
  • 140mm intakes
  • wider body
  • graphics card next to the power supply
  • absence of the 80mms

You are correct about the PSU choking if the fan faces down. I haven't fully settled on an orientation yet - Fan down will require more cuts as well as amenities for a second dust filter, while fan up might fight against the GPU. If fan down is the superior approach, I will definitely see to increasing the feet height.

Based on my calculations, the 160mm width should be able to just fit the Zotac cards that are 125mm tall (the glass will touch but it won't put much strain on the cables). There are a few other cards on the market which are a few mm taller and those will be a no-go.
I'm hoping with examples such as the Vega56 Nano, manufacturers may slowly shift back into spec height.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Appreciate your feedback Boil :thumb:

I certainly didn't expect to be the first to try this style, and unfortunately I didn't see the Spartan until now. Catching up on the thread, it seems the Spartan was initially designed to be much smaller of a case. What I found surprising was that my implementation hit on a lot of the feedback that was given to the Spartan:
  • 140mm intakes
  • wider body
  • graphics card next to the power supply
  • absence of the 80mms

You are correct about the PSU choking if the fan faces down. I haven't fully settled on an orientation yet - Fan down will require more cuts as well as amenities for a second dust filter, while fan up might fight against the GPU. If fan down is the superior approach, I will definitely see to increasing the feet height.

Based on my calculations, the 160mm width should be able to just fit the Zotac cards that are 125mm tall (the glass will touch but it won't put much strain on the cables). There are a few other cards on the market which are a few mm taller and those will be a no-go.
I'm hoping with examples such as the Vega56 Nano, manufacturers may slowly shift back into spec height.
The zotac 1080 mini is very popular for itx sffpc. But like another person said, their height is slightly taller.

Make sure you account for the 8/16pin connectors as well, otherwise, you won't be able to power those cards if the fitment is super tight.

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
Riotoro CR280 feelings.... minimal itx tower always had my heart... great usage of the concept, man

Reactions: el01

ilord

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 21, 2018
How about moving the sfx psu above motherboard like old cases had so it can exhaust hot air form vrm.. and perforate bottom panel for gpu to breathe? Maybe make it a tad smaller and thinner?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
For those who prioritize volume above all else, this one probably isn't for you.

Hi fellow builders, a few months ago I was in pursuit of a case that was compact, quiet, and supported a windowed side panel. I couldn't find anything I liked on the market so I ended up going the DIY route.

Designing and building the case really got me thinking about the recent advancements in SFF enclosures, and the direction the niche has taken.

A lot of sacrifices were made in pursuit of minimizing volume, and folks have gotten really creative at making exotic layouts using off-the-shelf parts. The problem is that most PC components are designed with an intended layout in mind - classic ATX. The unconventional arrangements which stray from this presumption end up requiring shims such as right-angle C14 extensions, PCIe risers, or even custom length PSU cables.

Of course, these challenges are what makes this niche interesting for most of us here, but that's not what this one is about.

At 160mm (W) * 260mm (D) * 300mm (H), I think it ends up being quite elegant.
The footprint is very compact, and we open up a lot room for the components to breathe.
Support:
  • Motherboard: mITX
  • Cooling: 92mm tower
  • GFX: 220mm Mini style *if everything is getting smaller, why shouldn't the graphics card?
  • PSU: SFX/SFX-L
  • Storage: 2*2.5"

Just by virtue of the layout, we get some nice freebies:
  • Efficient front to back airflow design - I took the liberty of using two 140mm fans. A 240 rad would fit as well.
  • Single area intake allows for effective dust filtration - This is something most SFF enclosures completely sacrifice.
  • Space for powerful CPU cooling - No more L9s or C7s.
  • Windowed side panel - For showing off all the HW that gets prettier and more RGB year by year.

I would love to hear what you guys think.

Cheers,
Ben
I thought of that layout a few weeks ago! ;)

Your execution is very good, though. I think it's far superior to anything I could build. I hope you can bring this to market.

siliciferous

Cable Smoosher
Jul 8, 2018
wtfomfg.org
I really, really like this design. Something about the dimensions of it being determined by the two 140x140mm fans at the front makes it easy for me to accept its sizable volume.

Maybe this is the pet-owner in me talking (bottom of case intakes attract dander like nobody's business) I'd prefer that the power supply remain where it is, and be oriented so that it draws air from inside the case rather than from additional intakes in the bottom. I would like to see the prominent front fans be the conceptual selling point of this case design - air intake exclusively from the front and exhausted out the rear.

While I wouldn't be opposed to adding mountpoints for rear exhaust fans, I would do everything in my power to not use them.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
I really like it, too. The lack of room for CPU cooling in SFF is usually what annoys me.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
The one thing I love about this design is the amount of airflow. Don't get me wrong, I have an Ncase and I love it, but the airflow has always been somewhat confusing to figure out. The airflow for this case is so simple, and although it doesn't allow for large graphics cards or aftermarket coolers like the Accelero or Morpheus II, I feel like getting air to the parts of the case that need it would be better overall than shoving the biggest heatsink I can find on it, which is what I've been doing for the Ncase and Cerberus X that I have. I'd be interested in getting this case if it ever enters production.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Absolutely adore this design!
I would have made it smaller like the Spartan Junior since, while it would require ITX sized cards, there are a nice selection of ITX sized 2070's now which are more than anyone needs.
However the additional space actually makes it look more well rounded and more appealing as it doesn't end up as an awkward top heavy cube that I think it would if you were to shorten it and I think more compatibility is always a good thing in the event of the inevitable shorter 2080/ti's.

But the simplicity, look and layout are all a big thumbup from me.
I would buy this case in an instant and I hope you look into the potential of manufacturing this as I would make this my next PC for sure.

One suggestion would be to add a mounting bracket for the fans with dust filters and a 3rd PCI-e slot since even some short cards are going 2.5 slots and for some reason have taller brackets (Looking at you EVGA)

Last edited:

siliciferous

Cable Smoosher
Jul 8, 2018
wtfomfg.org
Hmmm. Is there just barely enough room to shove a full length (dual slot, 270mm length) graphics card in there if we did without the lower 140mmm fan? I wonder if a 120mm - more likely a 92mm - fan would still be able to fit in the space below.

Edit: Oh, derp, external dimensions are 260mm front to back, so that's definitely out. It seems the only way to make an ITX board with a full size graphics card "work" in terms of optimizing volume is to place the power supply in front of the motherboard...I'm fine with that, but nearly all of the cases that allow for tower style coolers tend to keep that area clear for airflow reasons. Boo.

Last edited:

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
I'm in love with your custom wood build. Mind if I do something similar for my personal use? I was thinking basically identical but solid walnut panels for top and sides. Granted I probably won't get around to it until next year

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I really like the base design. Here's my suggestions....

1. 3 Slot GPU support.

2. 120mm exhaust fan

3. Top vent holes with fan support

4. Additional HD mounts. Lots of space in there.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I really like the base design. Here's my suggestions....

1. 3 Slot GPU support.

2. 120mm exhaust fan

3. Top vent holes with fan support

4. Additional HD mounts. Lots of space in there.

You'd need to add quite a bit of volume to allow for 120mm exhaust and triple slot GPU's since pretty much all triple slot cards are also very long.

Top fans would also disrupt the airflow path.

I don't disagree those features would make for a more flexible case - however they would result in a case that is getting quite close to mainstream mini-ITX chassis.

Reactions: Weredawg