9700k Noctua NH U9A high temps

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I just finish building my Ncase M1, I have a 9700k@4.9Ghz on 1.25v. Im worried about my temps though, I havent even tried prime95, but on Cinebench Im getting 71ºC and 40ºC on IDLE, are those temps high? or is it normal for this case

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I just finish building my Ncase M1, I have a 9700k@4.9Ghz on 1.25v. Im worried about my temps though, I havent even tried prime95, but on Cinebench Im getting 71ºC and 40ºC on IDLE, are those temps high? or is it normal for this case

What is your ambient temp? Do you have the vented side panel or windowed. If vented do you have an intake fan on the right side of the fan bracket? If windowed are you using the rear 92mm fan as intake or exhaust?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I did a random check in the net for people with similar OC/voltage of 9700k with top air cooler. It seems your temp is not far different from theirs. Idle temp seems just a little high. But then, there are many factors affecting this:- cooler fan speed at idle, ambient temp...etc

The best way to eliminate the 'case factor' from the equation is:- remove the side panel (and maybe also use a good size desk fan to blow fresh air gently onto the case) and redo the test. So, 'hot air not being exhausted from the case fast enough', 'hot air being recirculated inside the case', 'cool ambient air not entering the case fast enough' issues are all eliminated.

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
What is your ambient temp? Do you have the vented side panel or windowed. If vented do you have an intake fan on the right side of the fan bracket? If windowed are you using the rear 92mm fan as intake or exhaust?

My ambient is 26C, im using vented side panels with no side fan (yet). Rear fan is exhaust and bottom fans too.

I did a random check in the net for people with similar OC/voltage of 9700k with top air cooler. It seems your temp is not far different from theirs. Idle temp seems just a little high. But then, there are many factors affecting this:- cooler fan speed at idle, ambient temp...etc

The best way to eliminate the 'case factor' from the equation is:- remove the side panel (and maybe also use a good size desk fan to blow fresh air gently onto the case) and redo the test. So, 'hot air not being exhausted from the case fast enough', 'hot air being recirculated inside the case', 'cool ambient air not entering the case fast enough' issues are all eliminated.

Yeah i think temps are quite in the range for this setup, I ended up blending in prime95 and max temp was aroung 77C at 1.28v, seems good enough for a 92mm fan.

My fan curves are default, I will have to keep tuning this, but im not quite sure from where to start.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
My ambient is 26C, im using vented side panels with no side fan (yet). Rear fan is exhaust and bottom fans too.

I would suggest a good intake fan, not only will it supply fresh air for the Noctua it will also help cool your motherboard components.

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I would suggest a good intake fan, not only will it supply fresh air for the Noctua it will also help cool your motherboard components.

Yeah I know, but Im out of fan headers on the MB, so Im waiting to get a splitter so I can plug the side intake fan

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Those temps would be expected at that voltage for 8 threads. However, you’re probably not going to be prime AVX stable at that voltage. Try running a long Blender render and Prime small fft AVX. Watch the temps and core clocks when you do. If it goes over 100 stop the test immediately.

What is your long term wattage set to?

Last edited:
Reactions: jtmsrl