8700K to an 8700T

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I was thinking about swapping CPU's for an upcoming build where I would be using a sub 40mm cooler and just doing a bit of research. I have an 8700K but am thinking about getting an 8700T since it is a 35w chip.

I will be the first to admit I know nothing of over/under clocking outside of clicking the easy button in the bios, but am willing to learn or ask for advice. I know I can downclock my 8700k, but could I get it low enough to compare to the 8700T 's 35W heat output? I also don't know that even if it could go that low, if the 8700t at 35w would be as good or better than the k would be due to the turbo boost. And lastly, by down clocking could I get away with the same power as a 8700T would use? The psu has just enough to cover the 8700t build with a little comfort margin, but adding the 60 watt difference puts it over the wattage rating.

I'm actually leaning towards the 8700T just to keep it simple stupid, but would like to hear some other opinions on this who may be more knowledgeable. Also, the motherboard would be an Asus z370-I if that would make a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated fellas!

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I had actually looked at that as well but a couple of members here have complained about that combo too. And from what I believe, you can’t underclock the 8700 as it’s locked, so if it didn’t work, I’d be stuck.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, 8th gen. intel cpus run hotter than they should be. can i5-8400 be better than 8700T?

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I hadn’t considered the i5 series. It does have better clockspeeds but it’s also still a 65w tdp chip. I am Going to have to look into that.

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
I too am very interested in this topic. I am getting a Dan Case A4-SFX and will also be using a NH-L9i. I want to just drop in my coffee lake CPU and let it run at sick settings without any underclocking. The answer found on this post will also affect my CPU choice.

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
I too am very interested in this topic. I am getting a Dan Case A4-SFX and will also be using a NH-L9i. I want to just drop in my coffee lake CPU and let it run at sick settings without any underclocking. The answer found on this post will also affect my CPU choice.

I ran an 8400 and an 8700 non-k with the NH-L9i in an A4 and both will throttle stock with synthetic loads, but in daily usage/gaming they ran fine for me. I was able to run both with a -0.15 undervolt and saw drastic temperature reductions of at least 10c under load and they were also stable in synthetics with it (albeit quite hot still).

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Not really one for benchmarks, this would be for a mini gaming rig so I am glad to hear that. . Im going to try and see if I can lower the clocks and voltages to keep temps down first but I still have a while before my next case arrives.

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
I ran an 8400 and an 8700 non-k with the NH-L9i in an A4 and both will throttle stock with synthetic loads, but in daily usage/gaming they ran fine for me. I was able to run both with a -0.15 undervolt and saw drastic temperature reductions of at least 10c under load and they were also stable in synthetics with it.

This is the sort of info I need, thank you!

I too am building a small gaming setup.

When you under volt do you need to also drop clock multipliers. I have very little CPU tuning experience.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
This is the sort of info I need, thank you!

I too am building a small gaming setup.

When you under volt do you need to also drop clock multipliers. I have very little CPU tuning experience.

No underclocking needed, no performance lost although you do lose some power saving features so you'll have higher power consumption at idle until sleep.

All I run (on an Asus Z370i) is MCE off, performance mode on, and the undervolt. Your mileage is going to vary from silicon lottery and potentially motherboard choice but from what I've seen so far -0.15 is not uncommon and even -0.10 will be significant.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Thank you for the settings tip @RushNY That will help me too. Would you know anything about the 2nd part of my questions though:

If my estimated wattage would also be lower with the DC and UV method on a higher wattage chip?

Edit: As in dropping it from using 95 Watts to a 65 or lower wattage consumption since my psu wouldn’t be rated high enough?

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Thank you for the settings tip @RushNY That will help me too. Would you know anything about the 2nd part of my questions though:

If my estimated wattage would also be lower with the DC and UV method on a higher wattage chip?

Edit: As I’m dropping it from 95 Watts to a 65 or lower wattage consumption since my psu wouldn’t be rated high enough?

Can I ask what your wattage envelope is and what else you'll be running? For reference I run my 8700 and 1080 on 450W without issue. Unless you're only looking at wattage regarding heatsink capability? Because the Noctua L9i is what I've used and is sub 40mm.

To partially answer your question peak CPU wattage will be lower with an undervolt by a decent amount although I cannot give you exact numbers. I'd imagine underclocking would help you achieve a greater undervolt but I haven't tried this myself.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I am hoping to build a rig with a gigabyte 1080 itx and 8700 k/t with a system draw under 330 Watts. It would use one of the g uniques and a Dell 330w power brick. I know they can be modded to go higher but I’d like to stay under the stock max if possible.

Edit: Was also planning to use to Noctua cooler as well.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
I am hoping to build a rig with a gigabyte 1080 itx and 8700 k/t with a system draw under 330 Watts. It would use one of the g uniques and a Dell 330w power brick. I know they can be modded to go higher but I’d like to stay under the stock max if possible.

Edit: Was also planning to use to Noctua cooler as well.

I see, I think it's worth noting all of these processors can draw higher wattage than the TDP under certain circumstances if that matters to you (I'd watch for an 8700T review). Hopefully some others running similar setups can give their opinions.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
That is true too but I think I’m close Using pcpartpicker, the max wattage with the T series would be 304~ while a stock K series is pushing 365~. I know that isn’t the most precise method of estimating power needs, but is what I was basing my needs off of.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I would strongly suggest that you take 8700K.

You can undervolt it. I know it isn't something most users dont want to do, but i guarantee that it will be good fun. You will learn about your CPU's performance a lot and you can find a sweet spot of it, when it runs cool and uses low amount of power. It is a process that takes a lot of time, but is actually rewarding and worth you time. Just make sure you take small steps, small offsets and drop voltage one milivolt at a time.

Second thing to consider is re-sale value.
When you try to sell a T model, market is a LOT smaller. However, market for K model is much much bigger and you will easly sell it later and at much less cost reduction.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I’m strongly thinking of going this route, I’m just nervous about power draw. Would you know anything about that @AleksandarK ?

Edit: and while resale value is important, to me it is more of a secondary factor. Cheers!

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
@loader963 I noticed you had some concerns about power draw and using a G-Unique PSU. I personally have a G-Unique Arch-Daemon Christmas Edition that pulls 450w on an 8700k and a 1070 mini. I have tested all the way up to an i9 and a 1080ti with this system and it has yet to reset even once on me. I would also suggest getting an 8700k and delidding and then doing an under-volt. You can achieve close or better temps then an 8700T. I have undervolted my system by -0.125v offset and it runs stable with a 20-30c drop with Aida64 hitting 83c. You really only need to worry about power draw if you are using a stock dell brick and an HDPlex setup.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Oh wow, is the 8700t available already? Been wanting to get my hands on one. Don't know why I just have an affinity for power-efficient chips.

Reactions: loader963