Concept 730 Systems: "Ether" (12.95L) and "Serum" (15.75L) SFF ITX Cases.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Introduction:

We've seen a lot of innovation in the Small Form Factor (SFF) community during the last ten years, but as a recent (last three years) SFF enthusiast I've become tired of the limitations that I'm forced to accept when it comes to component and enclosure choice. I want to have the latest GPU, I want the latest CPU, and I want more widely available and compatible options for storage, power, and cooling in my SFF enclosure. I'm a "modder" at heart, and I've thoroughly (and will always) enjoy hacking a case to meet my desires during a "themed" build, but I don't want to hack a beautifully designed case with a specific purpose (like the NFC S4 Mini) JUST to meet my needs for component size or cooling. Some of you may know me from the builds I've done in the past on this forum (and others), and I've enjoyed the challenges that I've faced while trying to cram as much hardware as possible into sub-12L cases. However, there are a lot of compromises that have to be made, especially when it comes to GPU choice and cooling options. During my experiences with cases like the S4M, the Dan A4-SFX, the NCase M1 I've always had a moment where I wished that each case had a few more millimeters in specific areas to accommodate a larger CPU cooler, or a longer GPU. I appreciate what each of those cases have to offer, and I genuinely respect their creators and understand some of the decisions that they made while designing them. That being said, I'm still not satisfied with what's currently available, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. So begins my first leap into the "rabbit hole" of case design.

Project "Ether": 12.95L SFF Case, optimized for air cooling with a clean minimalist design.

The base design for this case focuses on a "sandwich" style layout, but the idea is improved upon by separating the GPU and CPU chambers with an internal air chamber to allow for and take advantage of GPU cooler designs like the Nvidia 3080/3090 Founders Edition. The internal air chamber passes through the entire length of the case and is 20mm wide. Heat expelled from the CPU chamber never reaches the GPU chamber, and vice versa. The only compromise is the choice of CPU cooler since the maximum supported height is 70mm, but up to a 120mm AIO might be possible (still working on configuration). There are several cutouts located in the top and bottom spines of the case frame to allow for cables to pass from one chamber to the other without being visible. A 200mm RGB-LED strip is located in the top spine of the case frame to cast a glow through the internal air chamber. This case has a clamshell design that allows the top and bottom shells, back plate, and the face plate to be removed allowing for unrestricted and easy access to all areas of the case while building or during hardware swaps.

Case dimensions: 352mm x 194.5mm x 204.5mm (with case feet and protrusions), 342mm x 194.5mm x 194.5mm (without case feet)

Motherboard: Mini-ITX

Max CPU Cooler Height: 70mm

Max 3-Slot GPU up to 338mm x 147mm (LxH)

GPU Retention Block Mechanism

150mm Type-B PCI-E Riser Cable

2 x 16mm Power Button Cutouts (one rear mounted and one bottom mounted)

200mm RGB-LED (addressable) Strip - Optional

SFX/SFX-L PSU compatibility

4 x SSD Storage Mounting Brackets

C14 Female Power Plug with Extension Cable

4 Machined Aluminum Case Feet (30mm x 10mm)

1.6mm Aluminum Skeleton with 2mm Aluminum Shell/Faceplate.

Project “Serum”: 15.75L SFF Case, optimized for water cooling with a clean minimalist design.

The base design for this case builds upon the “Ether” case by reducing the width of the CPU chamber, since it is designed for an AIO water cooling system where a CPU/Pump block will be used. The height has been extended at the top of the case to accommodate a 280mm x 55mm AIO (30mm radiator paired with two 140mm x 25mm fans), like the NZXT Kraken X63/Z63. A maximum height of 59mm is supported for the CPU/Pump block combo. There is a 20mm cutout within the spine of the case above the center air chamber to allow for water cooling tubing to pass from one chamber to the other without being visible, in addition to the same cutouts used in the “Ether” case for cable routing. The only differences between the “Ether” and the “Serum” cases are the outer shells, the front and back panels, and the side panels. The frame for both cases is the same. They share the same mounting options, ventilation, features, and access while building or during hardware swaps.

Case Dimensions: 342mm x 180.9mm x 264.5mm (with case feet), 342mm x 180.9mm x 254.5mm (without case feet).

Motherboard: Mini-ITX

Max CPU Cooler Height: 59mm

Max 3-Slot GPU up to 338mm x 147mm (LxH)

GPU Retention Block Mechanism

Radiator Size: 280mm x 30mm (paired with two 140mm x 25mm fans)

150mm Type-B PCI-E Riser Cable

2 x 16mm Power Button Cutouts (one rear mounted and one bottom mounted)

200mm RGB-LED (addressable) Strip - Optional

SFX/SFX-L PSU Compatibility

4 x SSD Storage Mounting Brackets

C14 Female Power Plug with Extension Cable

4 Machined Aluminum Case Feet (30mm x 10mm)

1.6mm Aluminum Skeleton with 2mm Aluminum Shell/Faceplate.

Feedback and Planning:

I’m open to ideas and suggestions for this case design. I'm still on the fence regarding which style of ventilation holes that I should use. The ones that you see are 3mm holes with 3mm spacing, but I'm thinking about making larger holes or slots. Let me know what your opinions are. I’m pretty close to making a prototype to ensure placement and fitting of components. I look forward to your criticism and suggestions. I am also looking for any information that will help me get this off the ground and into production. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
A few rendered pictures to show components installed inside the Ether case. Serum will have the same layout, but with a larger space above the chambers for a 280mm radiator and fans, and the SFX PSU can be mounted horizontally for more space to accommodate water cooling tubing routing. The clamshell design allows for complete access to all components of the case during the initial build, and during hardware swaps. The frame can also be used without the side vent panels, and the top and bottom shells as a "test bench".

SFX Power Supply
2 x 7mm SSD
M-ITX Motherboard
Noctua NH-L12S CPU Cooler (no fan, but fan mounts under heatsink)
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE

A render of the Serum case with a 280mm x 30mm radiator paired with two 140mm x 25mm fans. This case is designed to use a 280mm AIO water cooling system for the CPU while retaining the same center air chamber used in "Ether" to provide cooling for the GPU chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: pwnedundies

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Exploded view of the case parts.

Case comparison images. Starting from left to right, "Ether", Dan Cases A4-SFX, FormD T1, NCase M1, and CoolerMaster NR200 (case feet not shown).

Case comparison images. Starting from left to right, "Serum", Dan Cases A4-SFX, FormD T1, NCase M1, and CoolerMaster NR200 (case feet are not shown).

Last edited:

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018
I’m open to ideas and suggestions for this case design.
Personally, I think using a square layout for the ventilation holes would not only look a bit better, but also allow for more of them. But that's just me liking straight lines and not curved edges. Though, saying that, I do like the curved channel running through the centre! I will watch how this develops with great interest.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Personally, I think using a square layout for the ventilation holes would not only look a bit better, but also allow for more of them. But that's just me liking straight lines and not curved edges. Though, saying that, I do like the curved channel running through the centre! I will watch how this develops with great interest.

Thank you for the feedback. Something like this?

Reactions: Alexander

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
Pls, do it with double 280 rad support + place for D5 res combo or plan waterplate.
One 280 rad can't cool current top CPU + 3080/3090.

FE can't normal work in sandwich case. No airflow for second fan.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Very interesting GPU mounting solution - would the PSU/Motherboard cause the air in the centre chamber to warm at all for the GPU intake? I think it's a really interesting idea to flip the GPU so it exhausts out the side, but typically the reason Sandwich designs are so effective at cooling GPU's is because the GPU is directly intaking fresh air through the side panel. I guess I'd be very interested in seeing how this layout copes in comparison.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Very interesting GPU mounting solution - would the PSU/Motherboard cause the air in the centre chamber to warm at all for the GPU intake? I think it's a really interesting idea to flip the GPU so it exhausts out the side, but typically the reason Sandwich designs are so effective at cooling GPU's is because the GPU is directly intaking fresh air through the side panel. I guess I'd be very interested in seeing how this layout copes in comparison.

Great questions, and thanks for asking. My hope (since I don't have real data at this time) is that the PSU will have no affect on warming the inner wall of the flow through air chamber (other than it's proximity) since it is pulling air in from the opposite panel and venting directly out the top. The CPU cooler will pull air in from the opposite panel as well, but since the vented air can't be directed I provided a lot of ventilation for it to escape. I imagine the inner wall will warm, but I don't think it will get warm enough to affect the GPU intake enough to cause any negative affect. That's definitely something I plan to measure with a prototype. Is 20mm enough, or does it need to be more?

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Pls, do it with double 280 rad support + place for D5 res combo or plan waterplate.
One 280 rad can't cool current top CPU + 3080/3090.

FE can't normal work in sandwich case. No airflow for second fan.

I disagree with you on one 280 radiator being enough to cool a top CPU/GPU combo since there are plenty of active examples using similar cases with even thinner 240 radiators. My last rig used a 360 radiator to cool 2 1080Ti's (shunt mod + overclock) and a heavily overclocked CPU without issue. Granted, your overclock potential might be limited...but adding the ability to throw in two 280 radiators will push this case into 20L territory which is something I don't want to do. I will look into increasing the height to accommodate a 60mm thick radiator, but not two radiators. Also, I'm confused by your second statement. This isn't a traditional "sandwich" design. The middle air chamber was designed with the 3080/3090 FE in mind.

Reactions: Alexander

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
Believe me, it can't. Ryzen 3900/3950 or 5900/5950 or top Intel with 5ghz and gpu.
I know what one 240/280 can hold cpu + double 1080. But your temps will be hot with fan noise.
Thickness also useless in this size. Cooling area > radiator size.
In current design case will be same as many here. Not awesome in air cooling and not good for water cooling. So so.
2 liters more, 2 liters less not a big price for ultimate cooling.

You create new case for two aircooled GPU cards on market?

Last edited:

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Believe me, it can't. Ryzen 3900/3950 or 5900/5950 or top Intel with 5ghz and gpu.
I know what one 240/280 can hold cpu + double 1080. But your temps will be hot with fan noise.
Thickness also useless in this size. Cooling area > radiator size.
In current design case will be same as many here. Not awesome in air cooling and not good for water cooling. So so.
2 liters more, 2 liters less not a big price for ultimate cooling.

You create new case for two aircooled GPU cards on market?

My goal is to create a SFF case, not another mid/micro tower. If you're looking for double 240/280 radiator compatibility then this case isn't for you, and that's OK.

Reactions: ellroy80 and Tazpr

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
But it is like another SFF case for air, which support one rad 240 or 280 does not matter.
Sidearm, Sliger, CoolerMaster NR200, NCase, e.t.c.

One change here it is air chamber for two FE cards on the marketr from Nvidia.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@dKenGuru

Why do you feel the need to roll up in others threads & shitte all over them...?

Why do you feel the need to demand modifications to others chassis designs to fit your needs...?

Why do you feel the need to act as if you know best in regards to water cooling requirements...?

Maybe rather than naysaying the hard work of others across multiple threads you devote your time to learning some CAD software & designing YOUR perfect chassis...!?!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@dKenGuru

Why do you feel the need to roll up in others threads & shitte all over them...?

Why do you feel the need to demand modifications to others chassis designs to fit your needs...?

Why do you feel the need to act as if you know best in regards to water cooling requirements...?

Maybe rather than naysaying the hard work of others across multiple threads you devote your time to learning some CAD software & designing YOUR perfect chassis...!?!
Thanks Boil I have been meaning to say the same thing but you said it better.

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
Cool designs. I like the air chamber idea. My one concern is that the many tiny holes just arent enough for intake and exhaust. I think they will create too much restriction in either direction.

Reactions: ellroy80

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
Because most of SFF cases is copy paste. All want create own case, but do not add something really new. I told previously - create case for both air and water it's utopia.
I promoting new ways.
Just because. I use water for cooling. I create custom waterloop in SFF cases and has a lot of experience in this
I don't have time for it and resources. I can buy such case.

What most compact - air cooled gpu or gpu with waterblock? There is more SFF religion?