Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Would a C6 cloverleaf connector fit with the HDPLEX AC-DC? I think this is the better option and might look ridiculous to fit a C14 connector into a 3 liter case :p

Indeed. A C6 might work better.

The main thing is C13 plugs (C13 is the cord side, C14 is the power entry side) are ubiquitous. That is kind of a design choice I really need to make and which one would benefit the user more.

If I choose C6, I would also have to make them available. Most people have a C13 lying around.

The other thing is by using a C14 as standard plug I can make adapter plate and people 3d print their needed plugs. A C6 would not allow this.

Also C14 cheaper.

To actually answer your quest yes it would. I'd still get the right angle version to ensure you don't apply pressure on the AC wiring.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It just looks oversized to me in such a small case haha. Also it requires a bit of extra effort to plug and unplug if you are going to take your PC with you on the go.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Some notes:

The satin black is very nice. However it is a bit of finger print magnet. I will see if I can get a matte black finish instead. The white gloss is also excellent, but has a couple manufacturing blemishes. Hopefully I can get sorted out. I know you guys are picky bastards. The standoffs will need to be self installed.

The Meanwell RPS 200-12-C cannot be installed with the ventilation towards the inside the case. This means it is a bit exposed. Thinking of a way to deal with this.

Overall fit and finish is good. A couple adjustments I need to make. Other opinions/response:

How do you guys feel about satin vs matte? Satin has a slight sheen to it but can attract fingerprints when handled.

What about screws on the top? Currently there are no screws who gives it a very clean look. However, this means there will be issues where the cover may have a gap. This is unavoidable but having a screw more or so alleviates the issue.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Looks great. I think the satin is really cool, and I don't handle PC cases much so I don't think fingerprints would be a big deal (compared to say, a phone).

Screws do not, in any way, bother me.

Any reason you can't flip the location of the Mean Well to the other side (so it sits on the 24pin ATX connector side of the motherboard)?

shokwaav

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2018
Satin looks great.

Does the grille have to have holes so large? I think it'd look better with a finer grid.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I can
Looks great. I think the satin is really cool, and I don't handle PC cases much so I don't think fingerprints would be a big deal (compared to say, a phone).

Screws do not, in any way, bother me.

Any reason you can't flip the location of the Mean Well to the other side (so it sits on the 24pin ATX connector side of the motherboard)?

I think the only issue is aesthetics really. Right now the offset vents and the button makes the design feel balanced and industrial.

It also will be similar to the next case type: slim LP GPU + meanwell // ITX GPU. I'd like to keep a cohesive design language.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty2k1

shokwaav

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2018
It'd be a trade off between cost, aesthetics, and ventilation/turbulence. Finer holes costs more cause it's more laser time, it also makes turbulence more prominent.

I see. I look forward to seeing the final product.

Last edited:

bOcy

Chassis Packer
Mar 24, 2018
size of the side fans ? 50mm?

any space left for side fans at the motherboard side (opposite meanwell side)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
size of the side fans ? 50mm?

any space left for side fans at the motherboard side (opposite meanwell side)

2x 60mm fans for exhaust. There will not be any additional space on the opposite side.

-----------------------

Right now I'm working on prototype Rev. 2. Some changes:
  • Moved from C14 to C6 (small 3 prong)
  • Moved Meanwell to opposite side.
  • Increased size to fit HDPLEX 160 plug in. It'll be a tight fit, but it fits.
  • Added 6 pin cutout for Distro 300/400 compatibility
  • Added 12mm for HDPLEX 4pin input compatibilty
  • Increased distance between vent holes, should help prevent warping due to laser cuting
  • Offset 2.5 SSD bracket to clear front button better
  • added cutout for USB C in the rear
  • Added additional 2.5 SSD support so that users can use internal AC-DC + single SSD if they're using NH-L9. It may partially block the cpu cooler but hey, choices.

I should get rev. 2 prototype in 4 weeks and a small run in NOV. I will be doing a matte black finish to see how it looks.

PURE XL version with LP GPU + Meanwell/Flex ATX will come afterwards. It will be just a bigger version of the PURE so no aesthetic changes really. Expect it to be 4.5L in size.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Update: Files sent to manufacturer. Should get a prototype within 4 weeks. I hope I didn't screw up the files, because it's expensive and time consuming >.<

Higher finishing quality, edges, etc, is really expensive, as well as alternative colors. Any additional processes to their manufacturing line gets real expensive real fast. For colors, I'd have to order 100+ batches for custom coloring to offset the costs and meet my price target. So far, I fairly happy with the quality of this initial prototype so I won't be adding additional processes to make it fancier.

Once I get this prototype and confirm it looks good, I can send up request for a small run. I'll also sell the second prototype to offset some of my costs.

Reactions: smitty2k1

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
$70 before shipping. My goal for Pure XL is $100 before shipping.

If this proves popular, I can scale up and maybe bring down the prices more.

Wow. If there had been more interest in my HTPC One, I would have met a 100 dollar target! What manufacturer are you using?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Wow. If there had been more interest in my HTPC One, I would have met a 100 dollar target! What manufacturer are you using?

i can't say obviously, but they're a small company with low overheads and can do small runs. the big companies can offer good pricing but only after you order like 500 units.

A lot of the costs are set up costs so I'm going with a simple design. It's working out just fine.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
i can't say obviously, but they're a small company with low overheads and can do small runs. the big companies can offer good pricing but only after you order like 500 units.

A lot of the costs are set up costs so I'm going with a simple design. It's working out just fine.

Been looking for a low run fabricator. :/

Have these chaps make some dust filters for those that want them!

https://www.demcifilter.com/