Stalled 3D Printed PCIe Slot Covers! (Shapeways!)

Price or Robustness?

• ~.5mm Thick Steel Print (Cheaper)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
As some of you know, I've put a good deal of effort into making custom PCIe covers before, allowing myself to have an adjusted GPU and even @zovc to flip his 1070 the other way around. It's been a lot of fun, and as I'm a college student I figured it would be nice to have some spare income outside of my weekend job. These two things lead me to this:
Turned out rather nicely in my opinion! I need to do a test fitment, but it should be just right. I have a number of designs uploaded, though I could only afford the one prototype at the time - went with the nickle finish. It proved to be the middle ground on the pricing ~ $22. I'll follow up with how well it matches my nickle plated fittings.

Assuming all goes well, I would like to offer these in a number of finishes at reasonable prices, as well as offer a customization service to do a unique pattern (or username!).

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Turns out it came up a few millimeters short! Oops :p working on fixing that, might've been an export/upload issue. Finish does match my nickle plated fittings fairly well in my room's lighting though.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So! I did some things, had some thoughts, and made some moves...

I decided to move forward with plastic options for now because it greatly reduces the cost and I'm not totally sold on the metal finish currently. I also have resolved the length and orientation issues but if you encounter any, let me know. I'm also open to new design patterns and can adjust things to meet your needs.

I do plan to add metal options in the near future, though I need to adjust a few thicknesses before it's a viable print.

You can find all my current offerings over on Shapeways :)