Which layout?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nxrUK

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
Hello members of SFF Forum,

I designed a concept of a case that is fully self contained (No power brick!) and able to support decent hardware for its size. The main purpose of this case is the ability to take it anywhere. Here's a list of the components that can be put inside:
  • 65W CPU (i7-8700, R7 1700 etc)
  • LP Cooler (E.g L9i)
  • Low profile half height card (1050ti)
  • Mini-ITX
  • HDPlex 160 DC-ATX with 160W AC-DC Internal Adapter (Maybe FlexATX?)
  • Low profile RAM (Corsair Vengeance etc)
  • M.2 Storage Only
Each case would sit around 3.5L. The mockups are rough for now. Also, to clarify, this case is not designed to be able to cram the highest end components in, as that will not be needed for E-Sports LAN events.

Case 1 (GPU and HDPlex on top of MB)

Case 2 (S4 Mini with no riser + HDPlex on other side of MB)

Case 3 (GPU and HDPlex back to back with MB)

-

I was also thinking of replacing the HDPlex units with a FlexATX PSU, this would most likely apply to design 3 although (Like this) . Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
No way to feed the CPU cooler unless you add some fan mounts. A shrunk S4 mini for just low profile cards would make more sense from a functional standpoint. Since you are using a riser anyways, you can also use the Dan case layout.

A low profile tower like M1 would also make more sense since you don't have to factor in a riser.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Like @Thehack said, you're choking your CPU cooler.

For basically the same footprint, you could put the power solution on the bottom, under the system components with less airflow problems. Just mount your GPU directly in the PCI slot.

Edit: Or, rather, mount both the PSU and GPU on the bottom of the case--that would probably be closer to what you're doing here.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

nxrUK

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
Like @Thehack said, you're choking your CPU cooler.

For basically the same footprint, you could put the power solution on the bottom, under the system components with less airflow problems. Just mount your GPU directly in the PCI slot.

Edit: Or, rather, mount both the PSU and GPU on the bottom of the case--that would probably be closer to what you're doing here.
More than likely will flip it.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I agree with putting the GPU and PSU on the back of the motherboard side. @nxrUK, will this case be meant for horizontal or vertical orientation (or both)?

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
in regards to v3: why not place the iec connector between the gpu and the hdplex? it would create space between the gpu and a fanless psu

edit: unless it would be detrimental to create a pocket of hot air?

edit 2: and at that point i guess why not go for flex atx?

Last edited:

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
I'm liking V3. I wouldn't use one myself, but I really like the posibilites and I'm excited to see what a half height gtx 1150ti will look like.

nxrUK

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
in regards to v3: why not place the iec connector between the gpu and the hdplex? it would create space between the gpu and a fanless psu

edit: unless it would be detrimental to create a pocket of hot air?

edit 2: and at that point i guess why not go for flex atx?

FlexATX would probably be better for that case, but I like silent operation and we all know how Flex sounds. The connector is there as it will sit on top of the riser card. It is the same in my CustomMOD. Having it in between may not create room for the riser. I'm basing this off LiHeat's riser here but.

Edit: People seem to prefer the V3, so I'm going to stick with that. I'll make a poll to vote to keep the HDPlex or use a FlexATX PSU.

Last edited:

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
flex psu does open up some options, but i agree it would not fit with the silent operation goal. i was going to suggest maybe have support for the 300w hdplex, but as far as i'm aware there's no LP gpu that needs that extra power?

nxrUK

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
flex psu does open up some options, but i agree it would not fit with the silent operation goal. i was going to suggest maybe have support for the 300w hdplex, but as far as i'm aware there's no LP gpu that needs that extra power?
The 300W Adapter is also bigger. For a 65W CPU and a 1050ti the 160W is fine.

Reactions: Obelisk