Stalled 3.5L HTPC Case- Made for Ryzen!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is my current project, the HTPC One. It's designed for Ryzen APUs and the HDPlex 160.
It uses a C8 connector (c14 is too tall). PEMSERTS are used for the motherboard and holding the side panel on. It will use (If I get enough support to go into production) @Josh | NFC's machined power switch.

I've currently stopped doing renders for each update, as they take to much time, and now I'm using autodesk viewer; you can see the latest model HERE.

Thank you for your support-

Windfall

I have spent some time with this design, and hope the feedback from this will help me make this a production case. Anyways, I’m rather proud of my creation, so, I would like to present:

The HTPC One- srry HTC, cheap shot

I designed this for the Ryzen G-series CPUs, because their integrated GPUs DESTROY any other integrated option- sorry Intel. Of course, you could use an Intel CPU, but gaming performance is going to be nonexistent. At 3.6L, er sorry, 3.61725L, it is pretty tiny!

Power to the People- erm, oh to the Ryzen & RAM! Designed External Brickless- Yes, I'm promoting a internally bricked case!

There is room in this case for an HDPlex 160W AC-DC unit, and trust me, it provides MORE than enough power. PCPartPicker says that the system below would consume 36W - 129W. That’s out of 160. PLENTY left!

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Cable Management- brackets?{[]}

With a special bracket that bolts down, you can manage your CPU and power cables. It routes around the motherboard, and gives your build a clean look, especially if you decide to use the windowed top panel, which I’ll have files for soon.

Solid Construction- firmer is better? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Made with 2mm aluminum, laser cut, the two-piece shell should be durable as all get out, and the powder coat offers durability and style.

Conclusion- Why do all good things come to an end?

Actually, they might not! With the feedback from this concept, which will always be a concept (for this thread), I will- TAKE ALL THE DATA I GATHERS AND SMOOSH IT TOGETHER WITH THIS CASE AND MOLD IT INTO AN ACTUAL PRODUCTION CASE!

UPDATE/REVISIONS:

Updated to rev 1.1: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/3-5l-htpc-case-made-for-ryzen.7180/#post-92871

Thanks, Windfall
Another edit: Should I make 80mm fan mounts?
Edit: Images need work on this site methinks.
Album link:

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
UPDATE: I know, I just posted it.... With these base models as a guide, I am working on doing new drawing, Including Motherboard standoffs, I/O cutouts, PSU mounting, Power Jack in, And more. I will be trying serveral vent patterns aswell. Keep your eyes open for an update in >1.5 weeks!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Cool, I'm totally behind this idea especially since I have a similar APU case concept (mine's not made of metal, though). The two piece shell design should help make it easier to manufacture. Hope there's more interest for these APU/motherboard only cases, or mini PC cases in general.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I sure hope so! I have some updated renders I'm going to post in A bit. I have revised the PSU mounting, extended it by 5mm, and made a new cable mounting bracket, as well as made IO cutouts and installed standoffs! I also removed some bends (from around the edges) that should help cut cost! I'd appreciate feedback.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I really like this, I'm looking to possibly build an apu based system for my step daughter for her birthday and something like this would allow easy painting to make it hers (trying to make it my little pony themed shoot me now) lol

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Alright, revision 1.1. I have revised the PSU mounting, extended it by 5mm, and made a new cable mounting bracket, as well as made IO cutouts and installed standoffs! I also removed some bends (from around the edges) that should help cut cost! I'd appreciate feedback. I still need to model a new top, but the new base is here, and the HDplex screws on the bottom, eliminating another bracket.

Reactions: ColorZepppelin

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I really like this, I'm looking to possibly build an apu based system for my step daughter for her birthday and something like this would allow easy painting to make it hers (trying to make it my little pony themed shoot me now) lol

When I start making them, hopefully soon, I could send you an unfinished one. I will be powder coating them standard.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
That would work wonderfully unless you end up offering a color id be okay with lol

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I know a guy who does custom powdercoating. He could do it pink & white LOL. But yeah, it's not even in production yet. We shall see. When's her B-day? that way I have a deadline? To get me motivated!

Reactions: br3nd0 and Soul_Est

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Lol not till December bud you've got time, I really was gonna do it rainbow dash colors so like a light baby blueish color really and sleeve some internal cables like her mane and tail so rainbow life lol itll be cute none the less

Reactions: owliwar

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Good painting and cable look great as long as the color scheme is right.... I think it would look awesome, in a girly kinda way.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
One last thing before I SLEEP. Should I switch to steel (2mm) or stay with aluminum?

EDIT: With the 5MM front expansion, the case is now 3.61725L......... Revision 1.2 will focus on cutting size down, preferably 3.2L.... BUT FIRST I GOTTA FINISH REVISON 1.1 OKAY?

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Feedback?

Nice, simple design.. I kinda like it.

IMO that special "bracket" can go away to save cost. And.. if it's gonna be HTPC, probably front IO can be useful. You know.. to attach thumb drives, earphone, IR receiver.. etc.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I’d personally like to see more 2mm steel chassis, yes it’s cheaper and some feel it’s less premium because it’s heavier but it’s so much stronger. I’d like to see steel simply for who I’m building it for. I also agree with the above the bracket really isn’t gonna help much in terms of space. But one cool thing you could try doing is having the motherboard raised slightly to fit a 2.5inch drive below the motherboard these are all just suggestions purely but i think it could help the overall appeal

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Feedback?

Nice, simple design.. I kinda like it.

IMO that special "bracket" can go away to save cost. And.. if it's gonna be HTPC, probably front IO can be useful. You know.. to attach thumb drives, earphone, IR receiver.. etc.

I'm going to keep the bracket FOR NOW. What IO do you recommend? Just headphone/mic and a couple USB?

I’d personally like to see more 2mm steel chassis, yes it’s cheaper and some feel it’s less premium because it’s heavier but it’s so much stronger. I’d like to see steel simply for who I’m building it for. I also agree with the above the bracket really isn’t gonna help much in terms of space. But one cool thing you could try doing is having the motherboard raised slightly to fit a 2.5inch drive below the motherboard these are all just suggestions purely but i think it could help the overall appeal

The reason I may change to steel is that it's easier to bend, saving money (and material cost) as well as being easier to Lasercut.
But raising the mobo? That's A good Idea, and I'm looking into it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yeah those front IOs should do. Obviously USB 3.0 is better but the thickness of the cable can be annoying in such small case.

I recall that, in line with @W1NN1NG's idea, i once drew a diagram about hard drives below mobo. Will pm you tomorrow.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah those front IOs should do. Obviously USB 3.0 is better but the thickness of the cable can be annoying in such small case.

I recall that, in line with @W1NN1NG's idea, i once drew a diagram about hard drives below mobo. Will pm you tomorrow.

That would be AWESOME.