Log 3.4L on 3d -> 3.5L from steel

magura320

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Hi. Here is my attempt to put together something compact but playable. Estimated to be about 3.4l.
I am attaching a photo of the project, several fittings and a size comparison with other cases. In the near future I'm waiting for HDplex 250 GaN to put everything together.
Spec: Asus Strix z290 + qnct + 16gb ram + 2х ssd nvme 512gb + ssd sata +rtx a2000 + custom riser(make it shorter)
Dimensions: 240х205х70 (3.44L)
Filament on tests abs, petg. Final filament will be abs gf4

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
really like the red front panel it makes it pop what are you going to do for the side panel and what are you doing with the gan ac cables/plug

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Nice case! I used the exact same layout in my Talos case, which is also 3d printed and about the same volume. You may find some useful info there.

Are you planning on using the XT60 for the HDPlex though? Using it for AC would be dangerous as it's not properly insulated and doesn't have a wire for ground. I would stick with IEC connectors for AC, C7/C8 (leaf clover) would still fit fine in this setup.

Reactions: morj

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I see a potential issue here:

Once inserted into the motherboard 24pin, I fear the connector/cable will be blocking the CPU EPS port on the PSU.
Will also be very difficult to route the 24pin cable between the PSU and the mobo, with two connectors so close to each other.
Should work but this is going to be a very cluttered area.

Are you planning on using the XT60 for the HDPlex though? Using it for AC would be dangerous as it's not properly insulated and doesn't have a wire for ground. I would stick with IEC connectors for AC, C7/C8 (leaf clover) would still fit fine in this setup.
This ^

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Once inserted into the motherboard 24pin, I fear the connector/cable will be blocking the CPU EPS port on the PSU.

The motherboard itself will also block the 24pin on the HDPlex as it extends out of the case. The best solution imo is to have the HDplex ATX cables come out between the motherboard and the GPU, but you may need a little bit extra room between them.

As for the riser, I'm using this solid PCIe 4.0 riser from ADT link and it works well: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004697330934.html
It allows for just about enough room between motherboard and gpu for the HDplex 24pin cable. The EPS cable will have plenty of room above the motherboard but the sata cable gets blocked.

The main disadvantage is the fixed height which may not be fully compatible with your case, but you can design around it. I have an accurate 3d model of the riser, if you would like.

magura320

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
And so, let's move on. The work on the bugs has been done, your comments have been read and the problem areas have been fixed - the second build is ready. I anticipate your comments about print quality, etc. - this is not the last build)
Once inserted into the motherboard 24pin, I fear the connector/cable will be blocking the CPU EPS port on the PSU
Made a small mod. In the future, all cables will be replaced or wrapped in custom braid and soldered directly. My opinion is that hdplex will only be used in a small case and the 24pin cable and CPU will always be inserted. Why make them removable? - I did that and saved space
And for dessert... The next level will probably not be in plastic anymore, I prepared a model for laser cutting) what is your opinion on this matter?

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Print quality looks quite good from the pics actually!
Laser cutting on metal sheets would be an improved step, but be wary of the cost! Lots of holes and bent parts...

Good idea with the PSU mod, lots of space saved like that!

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Steel version looks fantastic, congrats!

Must be solid like a tank, do you know how much it weighs?

Nice kitchen olive wood workplan btw, I have the same one ;)