2020 aluminum mini - dtx / 125watt ac/dc converter

DustDevil

USMC Veteran
Original poster
Oct 1, 2018

I have had an idea of build my own case for some time. Back in December of 2018 I picked up a Shapeoko XXL CNC machine. Finally getting a bit more comfortable in designing and creating different things. So I took the plunge with a few old parts. I helped a friend upgrade a dated micro atx computer and he left me the parts. I basically just had the I3 - 2130 and Coolermaster Gemini II M4 air cooler. I picked up some chinese ddr3 1600 sticks ( 2 x 4gb sticks) and a chinese mini - dtx motherboard (H61 chipset). I was originally going to use a SFX power supply. But wanted to try my hand at a 125/150 watt ac/dc converter and use the brick. I had also though I was going to use a GTX 750 Ti or something similar but for not just going with onboard igpu.

I thought of using my cnc machine to make a mostly wood case but I don't like the way you never know what you are going to get with wood. I don't have a planner and the inconsistencies with thickness as bound to make me quit eventually. So I opted for the 2020 extruded aluminum. I already had a mini itx motherboard tray built out of 2020 and I looked and found various connectors and such. I also 3d printed some corner connectors and supports.

My plan is to use some ABS plastic sheets that are 12" x 12" x 1/8" and make the panels and use the connectors to secure the panels and everything together albeit with slightly longer m3 and m4 screws. I thought of doing standard front mounted fans and a cpu fan sucking out out and blowing it out. But switched to the intakes on the bottom and cpu out the side. I have to just mount ssd and front panel i/o and. The panels with be a bit tricky because I want the front to be 1/8th top and bottom over the bottom and top panels. Will measure all the mounting holes and cut the panels out. Not sure if the panels with have hexagons or triangles or what.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

I have had an idea of build my own case for some time. Back in December of 2018 I picked up a Shapeoko XXL CNC machine. Finally getting a bit more comfortable in designing and creating different things. So I took the plunge with a few old parts. I helped a friend upgrade a dated micro atx computer and he left me the parts. I basically just had the I3 - 2130 and Coolermaster Gemini II M4 air cooler. I picked up some chinese ddr3 1600 sticks ( 2 x 4gb sticks) and a chinese mini - dtx motherboard (H61 chipset). I was originally going to use a SFX power supply. But wanted to try my hand at a 125/150 watt ac/dc converter and use the brick. I had also though I was going to use a GTX 750 Ti or something similar but for not just going with onboard igpu.

I thought of using my cnc machine to make a mostly wood case but I don't like the way you never know what you are going to get with wood. I don't have a planner and the inconsistencies with thickness as bound to make me quit eventually. So I opted for the 2020 extruded aluminum. I already had a mini itx motherboard tray built out of 2020 and I looked and found various connectors and such. I also 3d printed some corner connectors and supports.

My plan is to use some ABS plastic sheets that are 12" x 12" x 1/8" and make the panels and use the connectors to secure the panels and everything together albeit with slightly longer m3 and m4 screws. I thought of doing standard front mounted fans and a cpu fan sucking out out and blowing it out. But switched to the intakes on the bottom and cpu out the side. I have to just mount ssd and front panel i/o and. The panels with be a bit tricky because I want the front to be 1/8th top and bottom over the bottom and top panels. Will measure all the mounting holes and cut the panels out. Not sure if the panels with have hexagons or triangles or what.

Looks very nice, I think a wood exterior would be awesome!
Looking forward to seeing more of this project!

DustDevil

USMC Veteran
Original poster
Oct 1, 2018
Looks very nice, I think a wood exterior would be awesome!
Looking forward to seeing more of this project!
I think you are right. It needs some contrast I am going to go out and look for some 1/8th veneer sheets or something similar. I am going to give it to my father in law and he hand makes spoons so he would appreciate some wood incorporated into it somehow. Thinking of a handle as well, might be able to cut a thicker piece with my cnc machine.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I think you are right. It needs some contrast I am going to go out and look for some 1/8th veneer sheets or something similar. I am going to give it to my father in law and he hand makes spoons so he would appreciate some wood incorporated into it somehow. Thinking of a handle as well, might be able to cut a thicker piece with my cnc machine.

Can't wait to see it!