Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I really appreciate the focus on a lower price for this system!
I don't understand people criticizing another case with a similar layout? Every time a case manufacturer comes out with a standard ATX layout we don't all get up in arms that they are using the same layout as some other case. The point is sandwich is highly space efficient.
I think there is a need for more cases that fill the same role at a more attainable price and I think this case will go a long way to fill that void, so well done to you sir!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I really appreciate the focus on a lower price for this system!
I don't understand people criticizing another case with a similar layout? Every time a case manufacturer comes out with a standard ATX layout we don't all get up in arms that they are using the same layout as some other case. The point is sandwich is highly space efficient.
I think there is a need for more cases that fill the same role at a more attainable price and I think this case will go a long way to fill that void, so well done to you sir!
There are half a dozen other cases in this forum using the same back-to-back layout. It's not the layout that people have a problem with.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I have stated the differences between Steck and others before.

Everybody's entitled their own opinion. And I can't stop others repeatedly focusing on the similarities.

I just feel that the differences are getting ignored or are not getting their fair share of attention.

Noone has yet to get hold of a Ghost S1. I mentioned I have referred to existing designs and try to improve on it. But I just feel using the word "cloning" is a bit of an overstretch and an exaggeration of my reverse engineering ability.

Last edited:

Chinaman

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2018
Just let the market decide. Here is the reason I want the Steck and not the Ghost or Dan case, because the Steck can support 70mm cooler where the Ghost can only support 65mm. Dan can support a 50mm. I fly often so I can't water cooler my system. With the 70mm I can fit a noctua nh l12s right in. Have better cooling then any of the other case. Yes the cases do look similar but by adding 5mm to the case I have so many more options, That I wouldn't have with the Ghost or the Dan.

EDIT: Was looking around more The Dan case is not available from sfflabs. We know with the Ghost they are having delays. What options does the consumer have?

Last edited:
Reactions: Engr62

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
70mm cooler
Really? That’s news to me and great news at that! I thought the official spec was the snippet below, but maybe it changed sometime during development?
Passive Cooling : 65mm passive cooler/heatsink

Excellent if true! That is one more strong reason, of flexibility and compatibility, for me to choose the Steck over the other options out there.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
He is using noctua L12S on his gallery which currently stand at 70mm.

Official spec I say is 65mm but I think he mentioned it few monthsnback that he accounted for manufacturing tolerances as well.

This is true with some case as well where you can fit a few mm taller cooler than the spec

Chinaman

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2018
Yep, L12S having fan blow outwards is much better. Hot air gets pushed right out of the case. VRM doesn't heat up as much. When I first designed it I allowed for some slack but I quoted a smaller clearance just in case it doesn't fit. It is hard to anticipate a 5mm extra clearance in the engineering process, considering spaces can be lost in variations in standoff height, paint thickness, motherboard thickness, side panel magnetic tape thickness, etc. 2-3mm can be gone so easily. Count L12S fits as a bonus. ;)

As you can see with "other" designs in the forum, I honestly think they have pushed the limit too far in their design vs actual production. I am not surprised if they ran into problems in actual production.

Found it on Page 6

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Found it on Page 6
Thanks, Chinaman! Any other surprises or Easter eggs you know of? :)

EDIT: I’ll answer this. Shedding the optional top fan, the NH-L12 (non-S) should do the trick quite nicely.

By the skin of its teeth, the L12 squeezes right past and just barely fits the 44-mm tall G.skill Trident Z series as described and depicted below (courtesy @B14CKB1RD).

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...f-case-louqe-ghost-s1.1781/page-58#post-78808

Last edited:
Reactions: Chinaman

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
By the skin of its teeth, the L12 squeezes right past and just barely fits the 44-mm tall G.skill Trident Z series as described and depicted below (courtesy @B14CKB1RD).

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...f-case-louqe-ghost-s1.1781/page-58#post-78808

It is a bit of a hack arrangement as the fan is moved off center. The left of the photo is cut off, but the fan should be sticking out the other end. Note the fins above ram, fan is shifted to make way for the ram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
It is a bit of a hack arrangement as the fan is moved off center. The top of the photo is cut off, but the fan should be sticking out the other end. Note the fins above ram, fan is shifted up to make way for the ram.
Actually, if I am not mistaken, that is a 92mm fan. By default, the older non-S model uses a smaller 92mm fan on the bottom that is shifted in its stock position. See here:

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@macbosco
Are there news on the community tester sign up? Are all cases accounted for now?
Will count the orders by end of this month. These couple weeks I need to work on the website and some videos for later use. Also need to setup paypal account.

Rest assured, the dozen or so cases are completed and just lying around in my office right now :). Development is locked, no major changes will be made. So what you will be getting will be 99% of the final.

LoL after dealing with it for so many months, it's good for me to keep my eyes off them for a bit. Have placed factory order for 500 units more, it's my mission to make it available for the masses. ;)

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
oic so I made a mistake coz L12S only comes with one (bigger) fan that goes at the bottom.

This is one of the reasons your case is unique, it's wide enough for people to reuse their NH-L12 heatsinks (original with 92mm fan) I wonder how the new "s" version compares though.

The smaller cases have a restriction of 47mm and with the Astek 92mm AIO now being discontinued it leaves for some toasty CPUs.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
This is one of the reasons your case is unique, it's wide enough for people to reuse their NH-L12 heatsinks (original with 92mm fan) I wonder how the new "s" version compares though.

The smaller cases have a restriction of 47mm and with the Astek 92mm AIO now being discontinued it leaves for some toasty CPUs.

AIO cooling are for those who want to use the high end CPUs e.g. 8700K, 2700X maybe with overclocking AND want a silent rig. I have tested 1800x with L12S, it runs just fine, but just a tad nosier.

I don't know about others. I deliberately did not consider Asetek 92mm AIO, coz only 1 mainstream brand offers that size, even when it was available so few stores stock it. It is neither a good design nor business decision to support it, not to mention consider solely rely your design on something which is totally out of your control.:p

Just an update: going to take more photo shoot in these few days. Not able to pick enough good quality photos for my website...

Last edited:
Reactions: chyll2

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
It’s even taller at 70mm. So this has more clearance than even the Ghost S1 mkii.
Yea, L12 - (based on diagram 93 (total) - 25 (fan) = approx. 68mm, L12S 70mm
Just let you know that in fact Steck's CPU compartment has to be at least 85mm (15mm more) to accommodate that, for motherboard+standoffs+cpu height. Just the tiny details I paid attention to, and saves time adjusting later on.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

MadDrake

Cable Smoosher
Jul 13, 2018
Well my GTX 1080 I ordered ended up being a bust. I'm ssure my 980ti classy will fit. Shes just big lol. Going to try the 240mm 48mm thick rad with a pair of noctuas. Not sure what I'm going to do about a res :/. Maybe I'll have rad on the bottom.

Reactions: macbosco

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
So literally no offense meant, but the first SFF case that fives me a 240 AIO Im sold, be it this, Louqe, or whatever. Im more ggravated that this hasnt been fufilled then anything else.