Other 2 in. (50mm) 24-pin Ribbon Cable?

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
I just re-watched Josh's (from NFC Systems) video on the HDPlex 300W. Josh talked about imagining a 2 in. 24-pin connector (at 3:04) from the HDPlex 300W to the connector on the motherboard. I looked at cablemods website and the shortest 24-pin cable I could find was roughly 7 in. (200mm). Does anyone know if they even exist and where to find them if they do exist?

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
Josh was referring to making custom cables. CableMods is adding HDPlex to the configurator in the very near future. Or if you are randy, I purchased all materials (short of crimper and wire stripper) from Mod-One for less than $30 shipped. The other tools required will put you over the cost of ordering premade custom cables but making your cables specific to your case and hardware will ensure you have excellent cable management.

Reactions: limaalpha0hacii

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
No one makes them and you won't have any luck doing so with conventional cables as they are too rigid. I asked Garret over at Beyond Customs to try and I don't think he could manage to, again because of the wire rigidity. Pretty much the only way I think you'll be able to pull it off is with the RC Racing grade silicone sleeved wire. It's like spaghetti and would probably manage the bend radius on a 2 inch cable. I have some sleeved for a project I am working on right now and it's so pliable you can braid it (which is what I plan to do!)

Reactions: limaalpha0hacii

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
No one makes them and you won't have any luck doing so with conventional cables as they are too rigid. I asked Garret over at Beyond Customs to try and I don't think he could manage to, again because of the wire rigidity. Pretty much the only way I think you'll be able to pull it off is with the RC Racing grade silicone sleeved wire. It's like spaghetti and would probably manage the bend radius on a 2 inch cable. I have some sleeved for a project I am working on right now and it's so pliable you can braid it (which is what I plan to do!)

You'll have to make each wire it's proper length ( post bend ) in order to make such a short cable work. Very much doable. Do it with 10g and 12g wire at work all the time going from terminal block to terminal block in sharp radii ( 90* and even 180* ).

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
Josh was referring to making custom cables. CableMods is adding HDPlex to the configurator in the very near future. Or if you are randy, I purchased all materials (short of crimper and wire stripper) from Mod-One for less than $30 shipped. The other tools required will put you over the cost of ordering premade custom cables but making your cables specific to your case and hardware will ensure you have excellent cable management.
I may have to just settle for a 7 inch cable as long as it is has neutral colors. I'm a noob when it comes to wiring (the most I've done is connect a set of wires for an aftermarket truck stereo) so buying tools that I will hardly use isn't the best option for me.

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
I'm not well versed in wiring mods unfortunately so that might not be the best solution for me. My 2 biggest reasons for wanting a shorter 24-pin cable is to free up space in my S4 Mini, and to have neutral colors that complement the case (or don't interfere with it at the least.