• Discord?! We've had a Discord server for a while, but now we've opened it up to folks who aren't members of our fantastic community forum. Join our discussions by clicking the "Discord" button on the side menu!!

Log 16L high end SFF case in wood and aluminium!

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021

Made a custom bracket for the PSU. Unfortunately I've managed to strip one of the treads, thus I've ordered M3.5 self tapping screws.

It will be screwed onto the radiator bracket, resting on top of the fan.

I'll use screws to secure it to the upper aluminum L-profile.

One interesting detail I figured out is that by momentarily removing the lower L-profile (shown in the last picture), I'm able to first place the radiator, and then the motherboard. It's not hard to mount the L-profile back afterwards, and then fasten the mobo. This makes it much easier to properly secure the radiator.

Last edited:

mikejmcfarlane

Cable Smoosher
Apr 19, 2022
Really enjoying seeing your build come on, the contrast of organic and silicone, I find really pleasing, takes me back to when I was a kid (40years ago) and used to take old radios to bits. Teak is really lovely wood, hard wearing and can achieve beautiful finishes. Looking forward to seeing how your build continues.

Reactions: Ameubius

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021

Made some new holes for the riser cable (which I think may be 1-2 cm too long) and the power cables for the GPU (which could be at tad bit longer :p ). Anyway, the project is still rolling, but a bit slow at the moment.

Cheers!

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021

Okay, long time since my last posting here, but lately I've found time to make some progress.

Basically, all major parts are now cut to size, and as you can see from the pics the side panels are mounted. I'll trim down the overhanging parts flush with the wooden frame eventually.

Next I'll start cutting ventilation holes in the aluminum side panels, and we'll see how that goes...

A

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021

It's time to test fit all components, and maby see if the system will boot.

I still need to finish the side panels and do a lot of fine tuning, but I'm getting closer to a final product.

If all goes well, that is...

It works, but I've never had more pain working in a case... :p

I need to figure out how to improve the cable mess under the PSU. It's just not possible to cram in an SFX-L PSU as I had envisioned. However, the CM 850W seems to do just fine with the 3080ti.

At the moment the lower part of the PSU isn't flush with the rest, so I'll have to see if I can figure out how to push it in 1-2mm.

Next I'll start on the side panels, making ventilation holes, and do some spray painting.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Okay, long time since my last posting here, but lately I've found time to make some progress.

Basically, all major parts are now cut to size, and as you can see from the pics the side panels are mounted. I'll trim down the overhanging parts flush with the wooden frame eventually.

Next I'll start cutting ventilation holes in the aluminum side panels, and we'll see how that goes...

A
Looks gorgeous, but looks like you've got some pain coming in the near future sanding those ventilation holes 😅

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Looks gorgeous, but looks like you've got some pain coming in the near future sanding those ventilation holes 😅
Yeah, it did take time, but I'm a bit sloppy when it comes to sanding, so I guess some people will frown at my work. Anyhow I gave it a first coat with a hard wax oil, and it doesn't look too shabby. I'll give it some more finish when I'm done wit the side panels.

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Wow, all by hand, beautiful!
Even with the right tools I would probably have half of the holes off centered or have destroyed parts of wood between the holes! XD

That's the beauty of using a template, thus guiding the blades and clamping the wood to avoid tear outs.

Reactions: Valantar