1650 on Latte Panda

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Definitely interesting, and gave me a few ideas.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Throw a right angle or flexible PCI riser on there and you could have a nice compact gamer. Seem like an STX board would pair well.

Reactions: Curiosity

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
What interested me is the M.2 to PCIe, I've seen people here sort of complaining about there performance saying a lot are crap, presumably this one, which he links to, isn't. If I could get my hands on that Latte Panda in the UK (we only have the slower Atom 2GB version at an unattractive price) I'd try this with a spare Pallit 1050ti I have. Not sure you get the Pallit in the USA but it is an odd card. It is a decent 1050Ti passively cooled card but that makes it relatively massive compared to a LP fan 1050. Which is why I haven't found a use for it yet, eBay is its likely resting place if I don't come up with an idea soon.

My favoured design is a homemade aluminium case where the GPU physically extends through the case and so the fins are on show and exposed- sort of mimicking a big V8 engine with the carbs through the hood/bonnet. But like I say I'm full of ideas, I've had the aluminium months and haven't done anything with it. Really it would suit a Ryzen 1600 but they are getting thin on the ground in the UK and the 1600X is 95W TDP. Then again I suppose I could have a massive passively cooled heat sink on the CPU sticking out the case and just make the thinnest case possible..

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I would also replace the 1650 with one of the upcoming low-profile versions and you'd be able to have a super slimmed down case.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Well i have the Pallit 1050 passive, so I'd use that as it wouldn't be more than a fun project. Like I say we can't easily get that model of the Latte Panda in the UK, I've seen it for private sale at about £400 but I'm not paying that, the one we get is a Atom/Celeron low powered netbook chip, it'll be bottle-necked by the dGPU and even that cost £130. If I do a bit of research and it looks like the £130 Latte Panda is worth a punt I think I'll do it because it is a sub-£200 build for a laugh. I'll go order the PCIe/M.2 thing now.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
This is what I really want, the Intel 8th M3-8100y but it is pre-order, and is going to ship at about £400 and I have stage 4 cancer so a waiting game is no good to me. £400 would also allow me to upgrade my daily driver to Ryzen 3.

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1729.html

But we get a Cherry Trail for £130;

You can find a range (so different CPU/DDR/eMMc) but the strong rumour is these are oldish prototype/ pre-production stuff they have lying around and so have various problems like often being a brick on delivery- and they even cost £200-to £250.

EDIT to remove me talking out of my hat.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Shit, man.

Maybe there's some used ones on ebay or something?
or maybe someone here has one they're not using..

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
I’m thinking of pursuing this with the As-Rock A300/110.

The A300 I think everyone knows, the 110 is the Intel version that is a bit cheaper but has only one M.2.

What I plan to do is try and run a 1050Ti of a M.2 to PCIe adapter which is on its way from the USA (supposed to arrive the 16th). Just some advice really, but I suppose I should flesh my idea out.

The case I plan to make, I have some 3mm (and some 4mm ali for brackets) aluminium, from memory I think I cut it down 200mm square so that will dictate the size. The case would lay horizontal and really only contain the motherboard. The sides will be vented/perforated aluminium which I also have. The CPU cooler and the Palit 1050Ti (passively cooled and large because of it) will stick out of the top of case. I’ll probably just use a SATA 250GB SSD I have (I will have to if I use 110). I will only use 8GB matched pair of memory as really this is me having a play and I will be happy if I create a lightweight gaming PC. Can’t over-clock anyway so in a way this makes the build relatively uncomplicated as there aren’t a lot of choices.

I’m not sure what CPU. Going for the 2400G seems a potential waste of money? Would the 2200G be better, I realise I lose the threads/hyper-threading but if it’s only really budget gaming. Or do I go with the 110 and an i3 8100 (which is about £125 currently, but I could save a little on the memory potentially with that (not that I will get that bothered about memory anyway). I’ve discounted the Athlons and anything less than the i3, am I right in that?

Any thoughts or advice.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Because this thread is now moving off-topic I'll start a new thread on the topic of my SFX M.2/PCIe build when/if I feel the urge. Soro this will be the last post here except one providing a link to the new thread for those that are interested.

Well thanks for the overwhelming response to my request (If it was dumb someone please PM me and explain). Anyway, I was torn between a 2400GE and Ryzen 2400G. I know the 2400G and like it, but curiosity told me the 2400GE. In the end I went with a 2400G just because if my experiment fails, I still have a good chip, while I have a utility chip with the 2400GE if I can’t get M.2 dGPU to work.

SO, I’ve ordered the A300(W) barebones, you must add the Wi-Fi/BT as an optional extra (£18) in the UK but it is Intel and worth it. 8GB (4GB/2) DDR 2900, an OK NVme 500GB and I will use a SATA AADD I have. I also ordered a largish Artic Cooler £20, again this is because of the look I’m going for, I would just modify the Wraith otherwise. And I have a Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX Fanless 4GB GDDR5. All in I spent £420 plus something like £15 of the M.2 adaptor (and I already have the SSD (£20) and the 1050Ti (£70-90 used). Discounting the graphics, you can obviously go cheaper with HDD and the GE chips- like the lucky fellow who fitted 10TB of SDD recently (envy).

The M.2/PCIe adaptors arrived from the USA yesterday, good service. Will bookmark that supplier. It’s powered with a Molex to JST looking cable (it isn’t JST it is just that it is 6am here and my brain isn’t waking up, it is small and white 4pin). What I power it off is to be decided, I may have to focus my limited SBC experience and add an additional booster PSU.

However, 2 days ago, trawling through this excellent if difficult to navigate resource that is called SFF.Network I found I didn’t exactly have to reinvent the wheel, or rather that was what I was trying to do. And NFC has a YT video as well. People have already done this, so there’s a lot of help for me potentially, that makes me somewhat emboldened that I won’t have a massive problem doing a PoC on a bench. Therefore, the body of work will probably just be the case and making a bracket.

People elsewhere (I do have a few friends honest) have said I should go for a 1650 but looking at it. It doesn’t offer a great amount of extra for the cost. If I sell the 1050 I have I might get £70 then I must spend at least £90 to extra to get a 1650. Doesn’t add up to me. I think my friends just like shinny.

Likely distractions are going to be cancer, I’m off today to fight for a new immunology program that is available under the cancer fund (for those without a NHS, we have a cancer fund, it is an extra provision above the standard NHS stuff (Surgery/Chemo/Radio), you have to apply/fight for it- in the USA it would be can you afford it, here it is still that (you can go private and people do use a bit of both) but there is a money pool as well.

Someone, a friend, wants a relatively high-end PC for very little (£400) money and wants me to solve this- likely an eBay solution, older Xeon workstation- they are into photography and some video mainly).

2 outstanding builds for customers- I’m not a pro, it is a paying hobby and I am relatively cheap, I get work because I’m not shite and I ask enough right questions so that people get a system that matches what they want to do without falling into jargon and frightening them away like the Pro builders. So, I get paid for Googling basically-LOL.

EDIT: OK the A300 and stuff arrived today, looking at the M.2 adaptor it isn’t open ended so I might have to Dremel it which is a bugger. On eBay the image wasn’t clear. Maybe it will fit but it looks like an X2 to me (I know it is PCIe2, not 3, at least that is how I read it). We’ll see, I will look more tomorrow. Just a head up so nobody orders one (although the sensible would wait anyway, it is cheap at $12 for two or £15 including shipping to the UK).

*I rechecked the video and his is definitely open ended at 02:03. So either his link is wrong, they sent me the wrong part, or the specification has changed.

I might have to search again, although that Ryzen 2400G saves me ultimately failing in any real sense.

Last edited: