Concept 13L 360MM Watercooled Concept

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
UPDATE 1: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/13l-360mm-watercooled-concept.7212/#post-93772
I've been looking for a nice looking case that can be done with a custom loop, either 2x 240mm or a 360mm and above. This case would fit full GPU cards, along with a 30x120x360 Radiator with 25mm fans. Clearly these measurements aren't the most accurate thing, but I hope this would in theory work.

The airflow of the case would be centered on the top three fans. Slim 15mm fans could be added on the bottom, between the feet and the bottom of the case if needed.

Vents and cable management/tube routing has not been added due to me being rather crap at Sketchup, but there would be a fully vented rear, top, and bottom.

In idea, the case could be flipped and used vertically if the user so desired - these feet would be screw-on and so can be changed around, power button is on the rear ideally too.

PSU support would be limited to around 100mm x 63mm x 125mm - as designed for the SF600. Alternatively, one could use a G-Unique style PSU with an external brick.

Please do leave feedback below. I will include the sketchup project file, which likely will annoy everyone with how badly I've mocked up this design - but I do encourage anyone to mess with it.

Here is the sketchup file:

Last edited:

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
I'm a fan. There's definitely a dearth of small cases that can handle truly hot setups. A 360mm radiator makes ultra-high-end CPU's/GPU's possible. Definitely a narrow niche, though. In most cases a 240mm rad will do.

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
I'm a fan. There's definitely a dearth of small cases that can handle truly hot setups. A 360mm radiator makes ultra-high-end CPU's/GPU's possible. Definitely a narrow niche, though. In most cases a 240mm rad will do.
Glad to know someone appreciates it, haha. I was looking at the Custom-Mod SFX AIO, just really would want at least an added 120mm or a 360 in there. Could definitely mod it, but I think I might give making this case a go at some point
I have seen people using the Parvum ModCubes (I think they're called) to make their own cases. Would love to have a window on the GPU side, too, and I'm guessing one could just use clear acrylic for that.

Would love suggestions towards things to consider and add. Was looking at some sort of handle for it, but I have no idea where it'd get screwed on.

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
I bet a distribution plate would work very well in this case
Indeed! I could imagine having some sort of custom res designed into the case, too - much like this: but that's beyond my ability.

If I were to build this myself I'd likely just go with soft tubing to ease the build but I'd love to see what people could do with it.

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Hi all - Updated design below. I plan on cutting a hole for the power supply cable in the floor of the case, where it routes to the back. On top of this, I am having vents that lead to under the case - hot air from the PSU can exit through the front of the case. Again, 15mm fans could possibly be mounted there, but it would change the airflow.

The pump/combo has been moved so that the other side may accommodate SSDs if the user so desires. Above the PSU could be another possible SSD mount. The bottom layers of the case (including the part where the pump and PSU lay) would be made of semi-translucent acrylic so that led's may be placed in the underside of the case, shining light both up and into the case and also onto your desk from below.

The basic radiator is still at the top - just added some very basic cable and tubing routing options as I'm kiiiiiinda learning as I go on here. Looking for ways I could mount things in the case. For construction I plan on using the Parvum cubes, but I am wondering how I would mount everything else in there. I have basically no experience in making things with Acrylic so would appreciate tips here.

Other option is of course getting it done in steel/aluminium but costs and not having a completely accurate CAD model of the case means that is highly unlikely. As always feedback is appreciated and any tips on using SketchUp/actually getting this thing done accurately are even more appreciated!

Here is the new sketchup file:
Counting the added bottom part, this case is now around 15L, however.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
I like this very much. I will be willing to buy the pre-cut flat packed acrylic if it all works out ;).

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
I like this very much. I will be willing to buy the pre-cut flat packed acrylic if it all works out ;).
Thank you!
I had someone on reddit advise me that the waterblock needs more clearance for fittings and such - I'll try update this tomorrow perhaps. Honestly I doubt I'd be able to get this accurately done, I have little to no experience in CAD/3D work and this is purely a concept. For sure I would love to build this but I doubt that it will look professional.

However maybe someone better could use the layout to make a proper, accurate CAD model - that can be submitted to protocase or other companies for manufacture. :)

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Awesome ideas so far!
Thanks! I'm still wondering how I'll get this planning done. Was scheming a test build using some plywood but don't really have the space to build anything at the moment. I don't doubt that the community here has far more knowledge on modelling and such over me - I looked at Fusion360 and was horrified! ;)

The basic idea is there though. Really want to learn a 3D CAD software for sheet metal but I'm utterly confused, sadly! I was considering getting it done via protocase but again, no model so it's a bit of a problem there.

Always looking for suggestions...! :)

darkmatter

What's an ITX?
Apr 25, 2018
darkmatter.engineering
I looked at Fusion360 and was horrified! ;)
The basic idea is there though. Really want to learn a 3D CAD software for sheet metal but I'm utterly confused, sadly!

Start by doing the built-in tutorials in Fusion 360 (or whatever CAD program you'd like to use — I think most software has them. That will give you a good feel for the software, and from there you can just google answers to smaller questions as you run into them. There's also Youtube for more in-depth topics that might not be covered elsewhere.