1080 ti mini power questions.

Toxiccrowe

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
So, I'm planning on making a case similar to the s4 mini in size. But, I really would like to have a 1080 ti Mini in the system.

I would also be running....
i7 7700k
Asus z270I Strix mini itx
g.Skill Trident RGB 2x8 ddr4 3200
Samsung evo 960 m.2 256gb
crucial mx300 m.2 525gb
NH-L9i or cryorig c7
Windows 10 home.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VDt37h

And later on down the line, I would like this system to work with the htc vive. (not sure if power will be an issue there)
based on everything I've been searching through, the HDPLEX 400W and the Alienware 330w brick wouldn't be enough to power this system.

I need some help trying to figure out if there would be any compatibility issues with any of these components, and what kind of external psu or combination of pico & hdplex units I would need.

It's not realllllyyy important that I could run the 1080ti mini , since I think the 1080 mini will be fine for everything I want to do for the next few years.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Hello,

Your CPU cooler, C7, doesnt fit in S4 mini, so if you are designing a case, you would need to increase it a few milimeters to allow for taller CPU coolers.

If you want to power everything with ease, you could use G-Unique PSUs that can take higher wattages in both the brick and the PSU.

Reactions: Ionrent

Toxiccrowe

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
@ceski That power adapter you have pictured there looks awesome!! Tight, compact and the minimal amount of cables. It's killer!!! I see a ton of different connectors and kits on the page you linked but I'm not quite sure how I would be able to get one just like yours.
Roughly how much was that setup?( Brick, and adapters)

Would it be risky to run a PSU without safety labeling?

I haven't purchased anything yet, I've just been doing research for 2 nearly 3 weeks straight any free time I have. I already saw that coffee lake was supposed to be coming out in October and I have planned on saving up and making my purchases roughly black Friday/ cyber Monday. With lots of luck, things will be dropping in price AND going on sale. ( but probably not )

For the first few months of this build until the next gen nvidia gpu's come out I'll be running an evga gtx 1050ti superclocked edition. (cause I already have that) Unless I find some deals that are too good to pass up during black friday.

Is the 1080 Ti Really worth the extra money over the 1080? I currently don't have a monitor that can support anything higher than 1080p, but I do want the highest possible frame rates for being able to run the HTC VIVE without a problem.

I've got my fingers crossed that there will be a 1080 ti mini that's much smaller than the zotac 1080 ti soon. possibly even a low profile one.
I'm trying to make this PC as small as I can while getting the most power out of it So I don't have to upgrade it for a little while.
I have also just found out about STX motherboards and MXM graphics cards. Buttttt.... it's not very well supported right now nor inexpensive...

@AleksandarK shouldn't the c7 fit? the Noctua fits with another fan positioned above it with an extra bracket in the s4 mini and the extra fan was only like 10mm.... Although.... Now that I think about it, I could hide the Noctua behind another fan and get way more air circulation.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
shouldn't the c7 fit? the Noctua fits with another fan positioned above it with an extra bracket in the s4 mini and the extra fan was only like 10mm.... Although.... Now that I think about it, I could hide the Noctua behind another fan and get way more air circulation.
See this video.

Last edited:

Toxiccrowe

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Ah, I must have forgotten about that video, even after watching a couple of times. XD

Everything I've been looking up is starting to blur together.

I've also started looking into making a case more like the DAN A4 with the cards back to back (modified to be shorter of course, like no internal PSU shorter) roughly to be 8.5in x 7in x 4.4in, This is why the pico style connector from g-unique with the minimal cables is so interesting to me.

I have a small backpack that I'm trying to get this PC to fit in, and the s4 layout doesn't actually work unless I bring the dimensions in to the tightest possible. Even then It's a bit to tight for comfort. But I'll be designing both of these layouts and then building in them and seeing what ends up being better for me and cooling.

I've made some mock ups of the external sizing, with an estimation of the internal components layout and requirements. I'll post some pictures at some point if anyone is interested.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Toxiccrowe

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
So, Apparently This tiny case has existed for a while now. Just the thing I was looking to build. (and still will) Perfect to fit the 1080 ti mini from zotac. Small enough to fit into my bag, even with the external brick. I'll be putting more vents on the front panel and maybe trying to cram a super tiny fan in there just to help the circulation.

I should be able to work on some of the designs while at work tomorrow, I'll see what software our Router has that I can make a technical drawing with.

With this case setup I'll be going with the 1080 ti mini zotac, and the g-unique 400w arch limited kit.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
So, Apparently This tiny case has existed for a while now. Just the thing I was looking to build. (and still will) Perfect to fit the 1080 ti mini from zotac. Small enough to fit into my bag, even with the external brick. I'll be putting more vents on the front panel and maybe trying to cram a super tiny fan in there just to help the circulation.

I should be able to work on some of the designs while at work tomorrow, I'll see what software our Router has that I can make a technical drawing with.

With this case setup I'll be going with the 1080 ti mini zotac, and the g-unique 400w arch limited kit.
how did you decide?
have you finished your build?