GPU 1050ti vs 1060 6GB in S4M build

LungButter

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Sep 16, 2018
Hi all. Pretty new here. Great community.

This will be my first gaming PC build. I'm going with the S4 as this will basically be a gaming 'laptop'. I'm pretty comfortable with most of the build except the power supply concepts. My understanding is that using a 1050ti makes providing power a bit less complicated, obviously at the cost of performance. I'm ok with sacrificing some performance (and getting the lower temp bonus), but I've read a lot of conflicting things about just how much performance difference there is between the two.

I play mostly open world action/RPG type games - Fallout, Elder Scrolls, GTA, Far Cry, etc. My understanding is that these games are more CPU intensive than GPU.

The build will be a Ryzen 1600 or 2600/Asrock B350 Fatality/16G RAM. Would a 1050ti be able to run these games at high/very high, 1080p, at ~ 60fps? I've watched some benchmarks but even those are conflicting. Or, should I just suck it up, face the learning curve, and go with the 1060 6GB card. The price difference is not really a concern.

Also, do I have to go with the 1060 mini, or will a standard size card fit in the S4?

Thanks so much!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Howdy!

The 1060 is actually really easy to install in the MINI and it's not that much more complicated (if at all) than a 1050ti build.

Really they both take the same power setups, but the 1060 requires an extra cable. I like the 1050ti because you can do a brickless build with off the shelf parts.

I have the build sheets here so you can see exactly what you need to buy as far as power supplies go for the brickless build or a normal 1060 build.

The 1050ti is a cool card. It is the first "entry level card" that was actually great for 1080p gaming. It's hard for me to say if it can run games on higher settings though at 60fps, but it is capable of playing games at 1080p with good looking settings at 60fps. If you are worried then go with the 1060, which has roughly 40% more horsepower (that doesn't mean 40% more FPS though) and will help out for more demanding games.

You can buy any 1060 you want, so long as it is under 215mm in length. :)

People like the MSI Aero. I've bought one and liked it, but I also like the EVGA 6GB SC and it is what I was buying most of the time.

1060s kinda fell out of favor in the meta, but if I was building an S4 for myself that's what I would pick if I wasn't going to go brickless.

LungButter

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Sep 16, 2018
Howdy!

The 1060 is actually really easy to install in the MINI and it's not that much more complicated (if at all) than a 1050ti build.

Really they both take the same power setups, but the 1060 requires an extra cable. I like the 1050ti because you can do a brickless build with off the shelf parts.

I have the build sheets here so you can see exactly what you need to buy as far as power supplies go for the brickless build or a normal 1060 build.

The 1050ti is a cool card. It is the first "entry level card" that was actually great for 1080p gaming. It's hard for me to say if it can run games on higher settings though at 60fps, but it is capable of playing games at 1080p with good looking settings at 60fps. If you are worried then go with the 1060, which has roughly 40% more horsepower (that doesn't mean 40% more FPS though) and will help out for more demanding games.

You can buy any 1060 you want, so long as it is under 215mm in length. :)

People like the MSI Aero. I've bought one and liked it, but I also like the EVGA 6GB SC and it is what I was buying most of the time.

1060s kinda fell out of favor in the meta, but if I was building an S4 for myself that's what I would pick if I wasn't going to go brickless.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. My initial parts list had a 1060, but then I got a bit confused about the power situation and thought maybe the 1050 would be a smarter choice at this juncture in my learning. If it's about the same, then 1060 it will be.

The S4 is a stroke of genus, btw. I've had to rely on normal gaming laptops which suck when it's time to upgrade. I saw a video of the S4 on Youtube and realized I can build a 'real' computer with the portability of a laptop (or close enough anyway). And it looks really, really good too. Thanks for bringing such a product to the market!

Reactions: br3nd0