Solved M1 Window Kit by SFFLAB

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Great news that the preorder is now open. Before I click on the buy button, may I ask for a couple of things if possible:

Will the side panel with the window sit flush with the rest of the case ? or will it protrude outwards ?

Difference between the glass and acrylic versions: is it just the material ? or are there any other differences ? i.e: more/less clearance on the inside etc

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Will the side panel with the window sit flush with the rest of the case ? or will it protrude outwards ?

The Window is fixed behind the Side Panel.

Difference between the glass and acrylic versions: is it just the material ? or are there any other differences ? i.e: more/less clearance on the inside etc

The difference is the material and thickness.

The Acrylic is 2mm, Tempered Glass is is 3mm. So the TG version will interfere more than the Acrylic, by 1mm though. I'm in the process of sourcing 2mm Tempered Glass, but until that is confirmed, it's 3mm for tempered glass at the moment.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
@Wahaha360 thanks for your reply, I understand that, just wanted to clarify that it will indeed be sitting flush.

I just ordered the acrylic one (would have preferred the 2mm glass) so in case I decide on modding it further (thinking of installing a fan on the front top corner of the window) it would be much easier with just using a dremel.

Thanks again

P.S: are you going to send out an email for the other parts as they become available too ?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
For the record, I did not approve of nor endorse the M1 windowed side panel. My stance has always been that a window was not a good fit for the M1, due to the functional compromises that would have to be made and the potential to introduce incompatibilities with e.g. tall GPUs or waterblocks. Consequently, Dan (wahaha360) developed the windowed panel on his own, and is offering it as an SFFLab-branded product. Any questions or issues regarding the windowed panel should be directed to him/SFFLab.

Reactions: Kwirek

unfunk

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 4, 2018
The Window is fixed behind the Side Panel.

The difference is the material and thickness.

The Acrylic is 2mm, Tempered Glass is is 3mm. So the TG version will interfere more than the Acrylic, by 1mm though. I'm in the process of sourcing 2mm Tempered Glass, but until that is confirmed, it's 3mm for tempered glass at the moment.

I am thinking of grabbing the TG panel at 3mm. I believe this effectively reduces GPU height maximum from 140mm down to 137mm.
My 1080 TI Strix, which currently fits with regular panel, is 134mm high.

I am just wondering if it might be an issue with the 8pin PCI-e cables sticking out as there is now only 3mm (137-134) to accommodate for it.
Do you have any opinion on whether that's too close for comfort?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I am thinking of grabbing the TG panel at 3mm. I believe this effectively reduces GPU height maximum from 140mm down to 137mm.
My 1080 TI Strix, which currently fits with regular panel, is 134mm high.

I am just wondering if it might be an issue with the 8pin PCI-e cables sticking out as there is now only 3mm (137-134) to accommodate for it.
Do you have any opinion on whether that's too close for comfort?

The Strix 1080TI has recessed pin connectors, do you how many mm recessed?

Also, do you have info on how many mm the pin connector stick out pass the Strix?

The picture above is an ugly prototype.

We are prototyping 90 degree angled 6+2 PCIe connector to offset potential problems caused by the M1 Window Panel.

It will help other SFF builds as well. The current plan is to release next month at the lab. This might help with your Strix 1080TI as well.

unfunk

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 4, 2018

Also, do you have info on how many mm the pin connector stick out pass the Strix?

--

We are prototyping 90 degree angled 6+2 PCIe connector to offset potential problems caused by the M1 Window Panel.

It will help other SFF builds as well. The current plan is to release next month at the lab. This might help with your Strix 1080TI as well.

I am not sure where to start measuring for how recessed it is, but once the pin connectors are plugged in, the connector sits nearly flush with the rest of the card. I assume this just means its recessed by the length of a standard PCIe pin connector.
Since the connector does not stick out past the Strix at all, only the cables stick out past the Strix. The 3mm gap between Strix and TG panel would just need to be able to accommodate the cable being bent back towards the PSU.

I am okay with the cables touching the TG, I just don't want the cable to put enough pressure on the TG that the side panel pops off, or prevents it from being put on.
Right now the cable probably sticks out pass the card by 4-5mm, could likely be less with a bit more pull since its flexible?

The prototype cable would definitely provide enough clearance for the Strix, but not sure how it would work if there is two 8-pin connectors side by side on the GPU.

I also just noticed MultiDoc who commented above saying he purchased an Acrylic panel is also rolling a 1080ti Strix based on his signature. Its reassuring that he/she thinks it won't be an issue at least.

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015

Will this help with the FTW2 cards as well? These cards are so wide wont close all the way sometimes.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Will this help with the FTW2 cards as well? These cards are so wide wont close all the way sometimes.

Yes, it should.

If the 6 or 8 PIN connector is sticking out and preventing you from closing the side panel on the M1, we are making this cable to address this issue.

This GPU connector problem extends to our SFF cases as well. So hopefully it will help a lot of people.

Reactions: Phuncz

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I am okay with the cables touching the TG, I just don't want the cable to put enough pressure on the TG that the side panel pops off, or prevents it from being put on.

Right now the cable probably sticks out pass the card by 4-5mm, could likely be less with a bit more pull since its flexible?

The prototype cable would definitely provide enough clearance for the Strix, but not sure how it would work if there is two 8-pin connectors side by side on the GPU.

I found a tempered glass manufacturer to supply transparent 2mm tempered glass. We might be able to save 1mm, if so, both Acrylic and TG will be 2mm.

For the 90 degree angled 6 / 8 Pin connector. We plan to release 4 variants:
- 6 pin UP angle 50mm extension cable (6 pin facing GPU PCB / Back Cover)
- 6 pin DOWN angle 50mm extension cable (6 pin facing GPU Cooler)
- 8 pin UP angle 50mm extension cable (8 pin facing GPU PCB / Back Cover)
- 8 pin DOWN angle 50mm extension cable (8 pin facing GPU Cooler)

Extension cables makes them compatible with most PSUs. 2 / 4 variants should be enough for most situations.

Reactions: MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I found a tempered glass manufacturer to supply transparent 2mm tempered glass. We might be able to save 1mm, if so, both Acrylic and TG will be 2mm.

Extension cables makes them compatible with most PSUs. 2 / 4 variants should be enough for most situations.

@Wahaha360

I have already placed my order for the window panel (and some other parts too), if the tempered glass will come in 2mm then is it possible to switch my preorder to tempered instead please (have chosen the acrylic exactly because of that extra 1mm of clearance).
Also may I ask how can we preorder or order these 90 degree 8pin connectors since I do have a Strix 1080Ti ?

unfunk

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 4, 2018

That's great news regarding the 2mm glass. Just put in an order for one now. Hopefully the adapters won't even be necessary for the strix 1080ti cards.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

My current setup for SolidWorks, KeyShot, Excel and GTA 5
NCASE M1 + SFFLAB Window
Intel i9-7900X
Nvidia Titan XP Star Wars Galactic Empire
ASRock X299E-ITX/ac
Noctua NH-U9S and additional 92mm fan (NF-A9 PWM)
Corsair SF600
Samsung 960 EVO

Still need to the following:
1. custom sleeved PSU cables (window makes cable mess too obvious)
2. dual Thunderbolt 3 front I/O module

Last edited:

Ragsters

Trash Compacter
Apr 15, 2018
Is there anymore information on this? Are we still expecting shipment on the 23rd? Slim PCIe adapters ready for sale yet? Is the glass version of the window panel still 3mm?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is there anymore information on this? Are we still expecting shipment on the 23rd? Slim PCIe adapters ready for sale yet? Is the glass version of the window panel still 3mm?

The glass is 2mm, I was able to source the glass.

For the 90 degree Angle PCie adapters, we are waiting for new prototypes.