What did you do today?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
First time bringing my CCD MI-6 into the office.

It's so small nobody notices it yet ;)

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
man there're horrible people in my area that treat ebikes as low cost motorcycles that are allowed on footpaths

yeah there's been pedestrain deaths in the single digits in total since they start getting common 3 years ago ._.

I personally dislike people who ride anything faster than common human walking speed BUT making no sound.. If one rides any form of powered vehicle on the same footpaths, please inform the humans around.

Btw, how's vPost rate compared to the usual, say, USPS?

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
is this in context to the cerberus or in general? o_o I'll have to get home for the shipping numbers for the cerberus

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
man there're horrible people in my area that treat ebikes as low cost motorcycles that are allowed on footpaths

yeah there's been pedestrain deaths in the single digits in total since they start getting common 3 years ago ._.
Whut ?! That's insane !

In other news, I've test-fitted the Scythe Fuma Rev. B on an AM4 board:

120mm Noctua NF-F12 fans, because I wasn't using them.

Reasonable amount of RAM clearance, Low Profile RAM shouldn't be a problem.
Regretably for the AM4 socket there is only support for two orientations and since the heatsink is symmetrical, it doesn't matter. You can also mount the second fan on the rear or not mount a second fan at all. The Fuma comes with clips for three fans though :D

I have no temps or noise indication, because I have no CPU or RAM to use it. I intend to get a Ryzen 5 2400G and some DDR4-3200 CL14 or better RAM before the end of the year and then I'll think about building a case around that thing. Or I might stick it in my Cerberus X, not sure yet.

Before that, I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on a second SSD, grumbled a lot how most features and settings are hidden behind Terminal (J0rd said KDE has this issue a lot less). I'm hoping to soon mainline Linux when I get everything set up.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Hmm let's say for Cerberus?

yeah I'm back sorry ,_, it's about 50 USD cheaper?

Going by the stats of the pack:
shipping pack LWD: 46.355 x 41.275 x 28.575 cm
Actual Weight: 4.8kg (interesting o_o Sliger site says 13.35lb / 6.056kg)
Volumetric weight: 10.9kg
$265USD (added options lol)

Straight from Sliger (not sure if 7% tax is paid on checkout or on customs, but I'll put the amount to add here)
  • Fedex Intl: 98.37 USD (+25.44 USD)
    • 388.81 USD Grand Total
  • USPS Priority: 111.55 USD (+26.36 USD)
    • 402.91 USD Grand Total

vPost:
  • Sliger to vPost:
    • Fedex Home: 26.77 USD
    • USPS Priority 2-Day: 36.55 USD
    • Fedex Express* Saver: 40.08 USD
    • Fedex 2-Day: 43.78 USD
    • Subtotal (pack + ship): 291.77 to 308.78 USD (tax calculated below)
  • vPost to home:
    • Economy: 13.40 SGD base + 43.68 SGD rate
      • 57.08 SGD
    • Standard: 13.40 SGD base + 99.19 SGD rate
      • 112.59 SGD
    • tax paid during vPost checkout
  • Grand Total:
    • 291.77 to 308.78 USD ( +20.43 to +21.62 USD tax) <- case order
      • 312.20 to 330.40 USD
    • + 57.08 to 112.59 SGD ( +4.00 to +7.89 SGD tax) <- forwarding
      • 61.08 to 120.48 SGD
    • using today's exchange rate:
    • Grand Total USD: 358.01 to 420.76 USD
    • Grand Total SGD: 473.19 to 556.61 SGD
In brief:
Sliger to Home: 388.81 to 402.91 USD
Sliger via vPost: 358.01 to 420.76 USD

in general some sitdown is still required to work out if it's worth it or not. I originally used it mainly for Amazon purchases that didn't ship internationally, but otherwise for pretty much anything under 100USD it's usually about 5 to 16 USD cheaper-ish. when it comes to steep stuff the difference is bigger

(oh right, sliger briefly mentioned they got a distro for the SEA region I think? no details after the mention though ._.)

Whut ?! That's insane !

yeah ._. imagine "ooh red light stop imma go onto the footpath and cross with them two-footers" and the more dangerous "ooh red light green turn crossing imma do a bishop"

although to be fair this jerkassery existed prior for cyclists before then, although there's fewer cyclists back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Checked out my morphine stock, self administered so usage varies. Also swapped out oxygen tanks, one large one small (portable) and re-piped with new tubing. Also self administered. I won`t be getting over this so I think the reckoning is, just let me take what makes me feel comfortable. So I do.
Bought new brushes for the mobility scooter motor too, the wheelchair power source is whoever is behind mme doing the pushing!
Cant decide if to sell the 1200 and 2GB r7, along with the Lian Li QB21 case, to free up the AB350 with 16GB ram and 250GB 850 Pro to put into much smaller E-mini case......with a 2200G
Or keep the Lian Li and GPU, put the AB350 into it again along a 2600 and maybe a better GPU later.......
Got to keep the grey stuff moving even if the pink stuff isn`t so much...........

Last edited:

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
As the only admin online at the time, I played whack-a-mole for an hour with a serial vandal on the official wiki for a browser-based MMO I used to play (fun fact: the game was large enough to show up as a small island in xkcd's Map of Online Communities 2).

Found that a previous homeowner or electrician apparently didn't care about the distinction between line and load, based on the state of the wiring for the electrical outlet in our master bathroom. Given that I'm swapping it for a GFCI outlet to bring it up to code, that distinction matters.

Discovered (as I was trying to leave in a rush before completing the outlet job) that the garage door wouldn't open. It was at this point that I recalled a note my home inspectors had made years ago as I was purchasing the place. They had said that the bathroom outlet was on the same circuit as something on the complete opposite side of the house, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what that something was. Apparently it's the garage door.

After hurrying out, I then spent 45 excruciatingly slow minutes in a line of cars waiting to drop off paint at my county's annual hazardous waste drop-off.

Once back on the road, I saw the cars immediately ahead of me suddenly slam on their brakes in 45mph traffic. Apparently, a car in the turn lane had swung wide into our lane then swung hard the other way to make a U-turn without any regard for us, and—more dangerously—without any regard for the copious amounts of oncoming traffic in the lanes he was entering. Fortunately, everyone else was paying attention so no one hit him, but by all rights there should have been accidents, plural, after a series of moves that lunatic.

Ate a late lunch with my wife as she worked today. Had all of those earlier frustrations and annoyances fade away.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Went Scuba diving again (finally!), found my weightbelt had had all the lead pilfered at some point in the last year (luckily a clubmember had some spare). Practised sending up an SMB with a new reel, and the new mask is MUCH clearer than the old one.
Then had to lug 30kg of kit back 20m up out of the quarrey pit, via a 1:2 slope covered in moss. Fun!

::EDIT:: And it was also my birthday!

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yesterday updated my BIOS but forgot to disable BitLocker first. Since I'm using fTPM (TPM in seperate area on CPU basically) this is important. Ryzen has applied fixes for fTPM exploits I reckon because the fTPM was also flashed. Had to type in the recovery key, suspend the encryption and reactivate it to get it back working.

Today I spent most of my day repairing my NAS. The PSU gave out after many years of service (0 disks until now though) and considering it's my PowerMac G5 casemod that's housing the NAS, I was in for quite the job considering the hackjob the PSU was. In the end, after clearing out the enormous amount of dust and realizing my other ATX PSU I still had wouldn't fit, I jammed my SFX in there. 8 hours later I was done with the major overhaul since I basically had to strip it down to the minimum, redo some cables, etc. But luckily it works and all my data is still present.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Today. Was called into work since I’m on standby.... booo.

However yesterday was excellent with mild weather a couple of local craft beverages and a bon fire.

My brother in law is in town from the UK for the week and we had a nice afternoon/evening catching up. He married a Brit and they have resided there for the last 20 years or so. Hearing a native Midwest accent with a bit of English thrown in is quite interesting . His friends over there say he sounds Canadian. Lol.

Last edited: