Production Lazer3D HT5 - Low Profile APU Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the comments everyone!

So an HDPlex 160 AC-DC and LP gpu would be tight but possible?
It is possible, but the only way I've managed to get one to fit is to position it above the motherboard to the side of the case. There are no mounting positions for it so you will need to be resourceful and stick it to the inside of the case somehow, may be double sided tape or Velcro would work.

Reactions: Phuncz

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Here are some more images I've been meaning to post for a while that may help to explain the case layout better than I can with just words!

Topless HT5 with HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX and 2x 80x25mm fans, the CPU cooler is the Noctua NH-L9x65:

Another view from the side that allows you to see the clearance when fitting a HDPLEX DC-ATX unit, there isn't much space left around the motherboard if you want to fit fans and HDD's. You also have to remember that the HDPLEX 160w and 300w AC-DC units are bigger than the DC-ATX units:

Closeup of the the side slot fan and multifunction panels (design has been tweaked slightly since this photo):

As you can seen you can create some interesting layered combinations, in the photo above I'm using some 15mm thick 80mm Akasa fans which then leaves room for a second multifunctional mount panel. This is the case I am personally using as my test HTPC, I have attached a slim generic 120w DC-DC board onto this panel which you will see in the later photos below.

A better view of the clearances with the dual layered side combos:

Now onto a dedicated LP GPU layout with the alternative rear panel (included with case):

Typical layout with LP GPU on the left and 2x 80mm fans on the right and space for a 2.5" HDD in the front, or perhaps even a slim line DC-DC power board:

Alternative layout using 2x slim 80mm fans and the multifunctional panel on the same side to mount a 120w DC-DC power board in combination with LP GPU:

Slot panel cover in place with tinted window panel to the side:

BONUS PHOTOS

HT5 Stealth in vertical position:

HT5 Timber with RGB RAM amd motherboard lighting glowing through front frosted strip:

Mini Tower of power!

Those look awesome!:)

Also, love your photos. What camera do you use?

Reactions: K888D

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2018
I like the new Asrock's Deskmini GTX/RX Z370 idea of placing HDDs (at least 2 x 2.5 15mm) or even slot load ODD at the bottom.

If this idea is incorporated for me will be a winner. However, IMO the design is already very good.

My apprehension only is the sturdiness of the case...

Last edited:

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for the comments everyone!

It is possible, but the only way I've managed to get one to fit is to position it above the motherboard to the side of the case. There are no mounting positions for it so you will need to be resourceful and stick it to the inside of the case somehow, may be double sided tape or Velcro would work.
That's fine. Double sided tape should work. Thanks

kerbastrar

Cable Smoosher
New User
Nov 19, 2017
I see on the back that you have a cutout for mounting a IEC C14 jack, but how would I be able to mount the DC input jack of a HDPLEX 160W if I plan on going the external laptop AC adapter route?

I'm sure someone could easily 3D print an adapter of sorts

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I see on the back that you have a cutout for mounting a IEC C14 jack, but how would I be able to mount the DC input jack of a HDPLEX 160W if I plan on going the external laptop AC adapter route?

I'm sure someone could easily 3D print an adapter of sorts

The case is supplied with 4 adapter plates that you mount into the C14 cut-out to cater for various types of power connectors including the HDPLEX DC input, G-Unique style input and also generic barrel style inputs of varying diameters.

Reactions: Obelisk

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
Hello again, i hope R&D is going well. I have a couple of questions
  • Have you considered adding case feet?
  • The 160W HDPlex AC-DC has been fit in the case with some motherboard overhang.
    Do you know if the 300W version can fit too, or will it be too tall/conflict with the side compartment covers?
  • Do you have any approximations for when in Q2 the case will hit production?
I'm currently debating whether I should do a low-power APU build, or hold out for zen+ and a low profile turing card. My choice will likely be dictated by the release date of this case, which in turn will lay the premise for which PSU i choose (~160w or ~300), and if it will be brickless or not. Thoughts and input welcome. Thanks in advance!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
What camera do you use?

I use the Sony NEX-C3, a compact system camera, its not the best camera in the world but I like it for how small it is in comparison to the quality of photos you can get with it. I'm not a very good photographer, so I literally takes hundreds of photos in different lighting conditions and camera settings just to get 1 good photo that I'm happy with. Takes me ages!

I like the new Asrock's Deskmini GTX/RX Z370 idea of placing HDDs (at least 2 x 2.5 15mm) or even slot load ODD at the bottom.

If this idea is incorporated for me will be a winner. However, IMO the design is already very good.

I toyed around with this idea of putting HDD's under the motherboard, but it meant compromising on either CPU cooler height (which I was not keen on as performance of this case is a main focus) or increasing the height of the case at which point it no longer looked like a slim line HTPC or tower case and was edging back into cube territory.

My apprehension only is the sturdiness of the case...

This is something you definitely do not need to worry about, the first prototype I built I was shocked at just how solid this thing is. Hopefully a few of the guys who got the prototypes will be posting some feedback/builds soon and they can comment further on this for you.

Have you considered adding case feet?

Yes there are 4 holes on the bottom of the case so you can add up to 45mm diameter HiFi style feet if you wanted. But, and its a big but, if you have 80mm fans installed in the sides of the case they will interfere with the bolt and nut, so its one or the other basically. This is why I've not mentioned official support for that style of case feet. The case is however supplied with 4 square self adhesive rubber feet.

You could probably "stick" the HiFi feet to the bottom of the case if you wanted to have side fans and HiFi feet at the same time. Not the most elegant solution though.

The 160W HDPlex AC-DC has been fit in the case with some motherboard overhang.
Do you know if the 300W version can fit too, or will it be too tall/conflict with the side compartment covers?

I've just taken a look at the specs and didn't actually realise the HDPLEX 160w AC-DC was slightly smaller than the 300w version. I only have the 300w model to hand, that is the version I've tried to make fit and struggled. The only place I could realistically see it fitting is mounted against the top of the case (window panel) off to one of the sides.

The 160w version is only slightly smaller, so I think you will still struggle to find space to fit that version as well. These AC-DC units are actually pretty big once you see them in the flesh, longer than an SFX PSU and nearly as deep, you need some serious space to mount them.

Do you have any approximations for when in Q2 the case will hit production?

I'm still not 100% sure sorry, I don't want to give out any specific dates yet as there is a good chance that I will not achieve it. Realistically I think we are looking at some point in May.

I'm currently debating whether I should do a low-power APU build, or hold out for zen+ and a low profile turing card. My choice will likely be dictated by the release date of this case, which in turn will lay the premise for which PSU i choose (~160w or ~300), and if it will be brickless or not. Thoughts and input welcome. Thanks in advance!

Personally I would focus on using an external AC Adapter such as the Dell 19V 180w Adapter in combination with the HDPLEX Direct Plug 160w DC-ATX, this should be more than enough juice to power any system you can fit into this case.

As mentioned above the case isn't really designed to fit an internal AC-DC adapter without making some kind of compromise due to the size of the HDPLEX AC-DC internal adapters, so I would personally instead focus on using a Direct Plug or Pico style PSU so you have plenty of room for fitting a large CPU cooler such as the Noctua NH-L12S, some silent 80mm fans, an LP GPU and 2.5" drives.

If you want to build an APU system, then you may just about be able to squeeze the HDPLEX 160w AC-DC into the space where you would normally fit the LP GPU, but its not something I have tested and I can't guarantee it will fit!

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015
Holy moly! This is going to work great for an APU build for my S/O's school desktop. Do you have an estimated release date for the case?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I speed-read through this thread. I know next to nothing about DC-DC power supplies but I'm sure there're plenty of resources here to set me straight before I piece together a build. I am ecstatic about the possibilities of a high-airflow/high-cooling APU design. The reviews I've seen seem to indicate that one of the major barriers to OC APU performance is temperature: slap a decent cooler on it and prosper. However, that is antithetical to the HTPC/tiny build use case. I'm excited to see the two come together in this case.

The only thing that gives me anxiety (well, besides the power supply thing) is that adding the dGPU would negate my hard work OC'ing the iGPU... But I do like to crank game settings... decisions decisions.

Final thought: I hope this project pans out successfully soon, partially on its own merits but partially because I want to see what you come up with for a case that fits full-size GPUs :)