News Realan W-60 HTPC Case Review

Say what you want about the value and utility of their products, but Apple arguably has the best design team in the industry. Which, of course, explains why companies always seem to be trying to mimic them - with our case on-deck, the Realan W-60, being the latest in a long line of Mac Mini-ish, m-ITX HTPC case
Read More...

Reactions: Phuncz

Winebaths

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2015
I guess this isn't specifically about this case in particular, but obviously you won't be able to stuff a discrete gpu in there... but *theoretically* if you have an external enclosure like the razer core, the gpu would be running off its own power correct? So you could possibly hide away the gpu and have a nice tiny gpu box hidden aware right?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I guess this isn't specifically about this case in particular, but obviously you won't be able to stuff a discrete gpu in there... but *theoretically* if you have an external enclosure like the razer core, the gpu would be running off its own power correct? So you could possibly hide away the gpu and have a nice tiny gpu box hidden aware right?
Would be nice if they could make a GPU enclosure that looks identical from the front - stackable performance on demand :D

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com

I look forward to the day when this is possible. However external enclosures like the Core use Thunderbolt 3, which around 4 times faster than USB 3.1. So we would need mobo's with thunderbolt support to take full advantage,

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Good review overall, very nice write-up and good pictures. It seems very strange that they would make the power cord for the external connector that long, they know exactly how long it needs to be, why oversize it so much?

Maybe I'm highly underestimating the thermal capacity of small passive coolers, but I have to disagree with the final sentiment that a passive cooler would be a good option in this case. As there is no top ventilation, a passive cooler would generate close to no natural airflow. The two ways I could see this work is by either modding the top of the case to have vents above the cooler or to hang it from the back of your screen with the side vents at the top and bottom.

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Beautiful looking case, if I read the article correctly the psu, including the external box is included for $70 that's a good price! I like these style of cases like Wesena and Streacom but dang so iffy about cooling.. but it is an htpc case so shouldn't be a huge issue if you use it as intended..

Winebaths

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2015
Ah, didn't realize that there weren't any thunderbolt 3 itx boards out yet, I could've sworn I saw one at some point... It'll be really cool when those come out though, so many more possible form factors

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the review, I've been trying to get my hands on one of these to see what they are like, they've been availabe on Realan's website for some time, but nobody is willing to import them to the UK, shame.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
Good review overall, very nice write-up and good pictures. It seems very strange that they would make the power cord for the external connector that long, they know exactly how long it needs to be, why oversize it so much?

Maybe I'm highly underestimating the thermal capacity of small passive coolers, but I have to disagree with the final sentiment that a passive cooler would be a good option in this case. As there is no top ventilation, a passive cooler would generate close to no natural airflow. The two ways I could see this work is by either modding the top of the case to have vents above the cooler or to hang it from the back of your screen with the side vents at the top and bottom.

I would go with passive cooling for an HTPC since that is generally fairly light computing. Especially if you are using something like say a 27W i3-4130T. If you are going to use a 65W+ CPU then yes you will probably need something more robust.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Interesting and cheaper than the similar looking Streacom F1C: http://www.streacom.com/products/f1cws-evo-chassis/

Winebaths

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2015
@Tek Everything

Just saw your current build, with that 1 PCI slot couldn't you drop a Thunderbolt PCI Expansion card (when Thunderbol3 cards come out) and use an external GPU that way?

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I tried a similar case to the OP, it's the slightly larger W-80 sold as "E.Mini" brand in China. I had issues with power and overheating using an A88X-ITX and A8 7600 board. Even at the 45W clock setting and then limiting the CPU to 3.0ghz boost, it still would get really hot and shut down.

I'm going to try this case and see how it work....I am hoping the vertical orientation might help a bit although the top is solid aluminum and not ventilated :(

The same maker has another style similar to the E-W60 that is ventilated......that might help a bit too.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I know this thread is dormant now, but I am just getting a Realan e-W80 case ready for an ASrock ITX MB ( with Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB) and a Raven Ridge APU when they arrive..............
A couple of points that have been mentioned here:

Power........I removed the stock power board...........messy cables and I never quite trust the power solutions that come standard, will certainly not be chosen for "best in class".........I will be using a G-Unique Archdaemon Limited Edition 300 watt...........Probably overkill for an APU system, but neat, silent and cool and I am happy that the quality is up there with the best...Plus, there is a rumour that there may be a Dragon Slayer Raven Ridge at 95w-TDP, in which case the 300w will be justified.
A Bonus to removing the stock power board is the space created....and the mounting points thus freed up. This has enabled a 3D printed SSD holder to be mounted in its place. Lots of airflow round it and easy access. Lpus this releases the SSD carrier plate which I feel reduces airflow anyway.

Cooling/venting:
I too have run an ASrock A88x ITX motherboard with an A8-7600 in this case, and I agree, it gets hottter than desired......I used an underslung fan Kotuzi, ( or is it Kodati? can never remember which is which)
I did use a 50mm fan in the inbuilt mount for the side vents, a 50mm Gelid which was very quiet and may or may not have been useful. Hard to tell.
One way I do deal with in this style case is very simple: Remove the lid, fit MB standoffs in place of lid screws ( 6/32 thread) replace lid using original screws........In my case ( pun........) I now have a 4.5mm gap/vent around top of case...........
Unsure what CPU cooler I will be using, probably a Silvretta or Cryorig C7 and Noctua 1600PWM Redux on whichever heatsink I use.

There is one other issue, brought about by using the G-Unique......The one I have uses the 8 pin block connector and this case does not have anywhere suitable to make such a hole as would be needed, nor would I want to hack this particular case.
The solution I am trying is this: The AB350 and X370 from ASrock (ITX) both have the same I/O layout, with an unused space above the 2x HDMI ports........Behind on HDMI is the 8 pin CPU power, so space a bit restricted, behind the other HDMI is the infamous VRM heatsink..... jus enough room for what I have in mind.........A £D printed I/O plate with a mounting for the 8 pin power connector above the HDMI port in front of the VRMs.............All worked out and fits.

Why am I bothering? Because I like this case, and I like tinkering with ITX!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I can the same board and APU in the E-W80, could not get it to stay cool enough to work. I also tried the E-W150 and didn't work out well on that either :(

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
with the lid on stand offs as mentioned, theA8-7600 ran ok even on highest TDP setting........

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
So, I'm trying to get a Ryzen 2400G outta this case, but my cryorig C7 is 47mm in height. is the 40mm cpu cooler limitation measured with or without the HDD/SSD bracket?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The case panels being 3.5mm thick, it leaves you around 35 mm clearance for your cooler if my maths are right.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
So, I'm trying to get a Ryzen 2400G outta this case, but my cryorig C7 is 47mm in height. is the 40mm cpu cooler limitation measured with or without the HDD/SSD bracket?

Check out the Realan Ei7 if you haven't purcahsed this case yet.