Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

Don’t sweat it. Congrats on your path to a Masters!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

@iFreilicht thank you for all your work and efforts to move your vision into a realisable product. Thank you more for your honesty and candid assessment of the ongoing project. Iris 16 is resting, and you have prioritised your energies into a vital key to your future.
I wish you great success with your Masters and look forward seeing Iris making an appearance in the future.
Viel Erfolg!

Don’t sweat it. Congrats on your path to a Masters!

Project Stalled!

While it is sad to see this project stalled, it is great that you are going for masters.

Good luck.:)

A day has for sure not enough hours for all we would like to do, hence the need to focus, I wish you great success on your studies!

@iFreilicht I hope all goes well for you. Sometimes projects need to be put on hold to focus on better, more important things! Good luck to you sir, and I hope you still stay active here - your knowledge and skill is invaluable to our community.

^this, and not only on the FlexATX topic! ;)

Thank you everybody! I'll certainly come take a look every now and then, but I don't think I'll visit often. My tech hobby interests have shifted to 3D-printing and mechanical keyboards, and even about that I'm way less in the loop than I ever was here :)

Also, it's been really fun on this thread. :)
If you open source, you may want to use the license listed below.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

I also considered just releasing everything as CC0 and making the whole thing a free-for-all, but I think we'll find a better way.

Good luck with your industrial design Masters. You should continue to design SFF cases for course credit ;)

That "stalled" status on the Iris button thread, feels bad man. Congrats on your ID internship, though. Who knows, with a new job, you can still make an impact in the SFF design world :D

As much as I'd love to do that, it would be really hard to justify designing an SFF PC with the upcoming Hades Canyon NUC. I could certainly try to draw some as practice, though :D

Sad news, but I'm glad you've got a good thing lined up! Hopefully this gets to continue in some fashion :)

I'm hopeful as well. Let's see what the coming weeks will bring us!

Sad to hear this, but can you explain more on:
- Its quality could not be good enough for my standards

- software updates would be delayed

Absolutely. You see, when you have less time and/or less motivation to work on something, you'll do it haphazardly. Instead of going over the final design of the PCB 20 times, testing everything 10 times, trying to break your own product in any way you can imagine, you'll tend to just say "this is good enough", and it never is the first time around. I've seen this countless times with coding projects, of myself and of other people, and it's nothing I would want to happen on hardware at all.

Same thing for software updates. If people find bugs, it takes time to find the root cause, to implement a solution, properly test that nothing broke as a result, distribute an update, write patch notes and everything. That is time I am not willing to spend at this point, but it would be unfair to customers to not properly support and update a product they've paid a good chunk of money for.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I almost had to google every reference mentioned above and the guy says

[...]

Haha!

I guess it's all a matter of perspective :D

Heh, 'custom' mechanical keyboards seem to be a world on its own.
I just put half a foot on it but then decided to go with a ready-to-go and quiet Logitech G810, happy with it.

All that to say that we will miss you @iFreilicht if you don't come here as often! ;)

Nothing wrong with that! You're certainly not making my leave easier ;)

Has the Iris 16 thread just become a mechanical keyboard thread?...

Yo, I'll report my post and ask a mod to move that discussion to here.

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Nothing wrong with that! You're certainly not making my leave easier ;)
what leave? :D

Man, I enjoyed this topic a lot. Your Iris16 gave me lots of ideas and it has endless possibilities in it.

All my best wishes on your journey! Can't wait to see some new design from you, I am sure the idea will be great and the quality awesome :)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
what leave? :D

Man, I enjoyed this topic a lot. Your Iris16 gave me lots of ideas and it has endless possibilities in it.

All my best wishes on your journey! Can't wait to see some new design from you, I am sure the idea will be great and the quality awesome :)
Final update.

I've got some bad news for all of you. Hereby, I am stalling this project.

At this point, I have zero motivation to continue this, and that means it would not become the product I wanted it to be in the beginning. Its quality could not be good enough for my standards, software updates would be delayed, as well as manufacturing and shipping, even support would be far below what one could call acceptable. Everything that you've heard about a bad crowdfunded product would be absolutely unavoidable if I tried to continue this. I now understand exactly why that sort of stuff happens, and I am very glad that I held off on running a crowdfunding campaign. Let's end this on good terms.

I've started my internship to prepare for an Industrial Design Master degree, and that takes most of the energy I have every day. Everything that remains, I'm putting into my musical skills. The Iris 16 was one of the reasons why I decided to take this route, it convinced me that I have the skills and mindset to work in this field but need to learn a lot more to do it right.

To all of you, I am eternally grateful for the feedback and suggestions you gave me and for the overwhelming support that I got. Thank you so damn much, these were a few amazing years, and I'll remember them fondly.

You are an awesome community, we've grown quickly and developed a lot. It is certain we've already made our small form factor mark in the world of consumer computing, and I'm sure you will continue this endeavour, but my part of this journey now comes to a close.

However, this does not have to mean that Iris 16 can not become a reality.

I've put hundreds of hours into this project, and while they were already worth it on their own, I would hate for everyone who is waiting patiently to be disappointed. So, let's talk about how this can be made happen. Whether someone of you has a brand they want to produce and sell it under, or whether this should be developed as a community project, I'm open to all ideas. I'm not really interested in monetary gain from this.

Thanks again to all of you!