S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How come everyone hates the Noctua color scheme? I'm quite fond of the signature tan/brown fan. You recognize instantly it's a top quality product, like a Louis Vuitton bag or interior of a Ferrari.

But I guess I'm the type of person that prefers raw, natural looking materials and colors over bright lights and shiny paint jobs.

I'm with you on everything you said...except shiny paint jobs. If it's unique and done right, a paint job can be luxe.

At least someone agrees with me on the Noctua fans. :)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132420171715

Not sure condition and only 1 picture is for sure odd but seller is 100% but only 10 feedback.

This is from the same user who has been banned here over and over. Definitely get more pictures of it before ordering.

Any word of restocking the siliflex risers? :)

Hmmmm maybe I should order more...but they have a high MOQ so it would be scary to order 100 more now that I might only be able to sell the odd one here or there.

Are there lots of people interested? I don't want people to have to use risers that are not top quality.

@CubanLegend

Really any dremel will work, just take frequent breaks to let them cool down. The difference in the models is how much cutting time they can endure before the motor brushes burn up. Take it slow and let the wheel do the work, and follow the directions Ryan reposted. I can answer any questions you have if you PM me.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hmmmm maybe I should order more...but they have a high MOQ so it would be scary to order 100 more now that I might only be able to sell the odd one here or there.

Are there lots of people interested? I don't want people to have to use risers that are not top quality.

Understandable :) I just happen to need a shorter one that doesn't have a retention clip on the GPU end; the others I've been using aren't working nicely with the bends of my loop.

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
My Schurter CPS16 arrived!
Image:

Now I just need to wire it up. XD

I've had it connected to the 5v line from the SATA plug on my HDplex 400, as the switch requires power to operate, however it only works to turn the system off! :p

Now am I missing something? I thought all 5v stayed active - or am I mistaken and I should draw my 5v from one the the 24pin ATX 5v pins?

Then its on to getting the RGB LED's to work... :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
My Schurter CPS16 arrived!
Image:

Now I just need to wire it up. XD

I've had it connected to the 5v line from the SATA plug on my HDplex 400, as the switch requires power to operate, however it only works to turn the system off! :p

Now am I missing something? I thought all 5v stayed active - or am I mistaken and I should draw my 5v from one the the 24pin ATX 5v pins?

That has a rather interesting look to it :) I like how it isn't chamfered around the circumference.

Reactions: ECHO

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
That has a rather interesting look to it :) I like how it isn't chamfered around the circumference.

Yeah, I really like how low profile it is XD

But it is ever so slightly chamfered around the outer edge, because I ordered the model with a 'finger guide'. However there is a completely flat version (and many other configurations).

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, I really like how low profile it is XD

But it is ever so slightly chamfered around the outer edge, because I ordered the model with a 'finger guide'. However there is a completely flat version (and many other configurations).
Ah, I think I see now. Cool!

rosc

Case Bender
Dec 15, 2017

What kind of amperage does it pull? Usually the quick and dirty way to pull an always-on 5 volts is to crimp on some Dupont connectors and plug it into one of the USB headers on your motherboard.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
"Now I realize that while I have three S3 Minis, some of you out there may have an S3 Mini of your own, and enjoying your purchase. But imagine how I must feel with three S3 Minis. I think you'll find that I am enjoying it three times as much."

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So which dremel should I get for cutting through my 2mm aluminum S4M-C wrap-over panel?

Dremel 6-Volt Cordless Two-Speed 7,000 & 14,000 RPM $20
Dremel 7.2-Volt Cordless Two Speed 10,000 7 20,000 RPM $40
Dremel-100N Corded Single-Speed 35,000 RPM $37
Dremel-200 Corded Two-Speed 15,000 & 35,000 RPM $50
Dremel 3000 Variable Speed 5,000 - 35,000 RPM $60

I'm not sure exactly how thick but I think it's just 2mm aluminium, so doable on standard dremel with enough patience and 5+ fiber cutting bit (okay maybe 10+)

More concern is to properly do it to avoid cosmetic damage, it's the outer shell after all..
what do you mean 5+ or 10+ is that an amount or a rating of the cutting bit?

Yes that's the one..asked josh thru pm if it is possible to make a cut in that portion using this cut off wheels, used only 3 pieces, a flat file for edge and round file for corners.. He also told me to mask it off with tape and neatly mark the cutting area and stay a bit under it..Use files to clean it up and get the edges straight. Yes bought the skylots from josh, too bad there is no stock of stainless torqx in 6-32 countersunk..
Sweet! I'll totally buy a dremel and ask Josh to make me a vented plate with skyslots in it! :D

@CubanLegend

Really any dremel will work, just take frequent breaks to let them cool down. The difference in the models is how much cutting time they can endure before the motor brushes burn up. Take it slow and let the wheel do the work, and follow the directions Ryan reposted. I can answer any questions you have if you PM me.
Sweet I'll PM you!

I got my nfc gang all together for a little family reunion today. Mostly to show scale compared to a few other top itx cases. Josh’s cases just blow me away!

Dude that looks amazing! Such collectors items those cases are!

Last edited:
Reactions: seto

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
what do you mean 5+ or 10+ is that an amount or a rating of the cutting bit?
Amount.

Dremel or any small rotary tools aren't the best tool to do this to be perfectly honest haha. These cutting discs are brittle little things made from reinforced fiber. So if you accidentally made an angle and the disc's side got caught on an edge somewhere for example, it breaks. You push too hard, they break. This is why you use safety goggles - wouldn't want those shrapnels in your eye.

So depending on your skill with the dremel, you'll end up using and breaking a few of these discs. When I cut my S4M-C's inner frame with a dremel and I broke one.

And that's 1.2 mm steel. I'd imagine 2 mm aluminium and that big a cutout would cost me 5-10 discs. They're cheap, but my heart skips a beat when they break. Cos I don't have safety goggles haha.

So yeah, with enough patience (slow speed, don't push too much) you can get it done. Also remember masking your cutout, and measure twice, cut once.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Fun fact:

Steel is easier to cut with abrasive discs than aluminum.

Funner fact:

I wouldn't "invest" in a high end dremel. I'm all for buying good tools but I think cheaper "Rotary Tools" work ok for the light use they endure. Buy something at Harbor Freight for under 20 bucks.

This 20 dollar kit on Amazon looks fine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/?tag=theminutiae-20

I WOULD buy the Dremel cut off discs though...they are good. The EZ Lock kit is very handy.

The important thing though is that you give your tool FREQUENT breaks while cutting aluminum. It will start to get hot. Take a break for ten mins. If you keep pushing through, you will burn up the brushes.

...Or you could do things the right way and use a angle grinder. ;)

Whatever you do...please...for the love of MINI, practice first on some scrap!!!! There aren't alot of black MINIs left! XD

Peace

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Fun fact:

Steel is easier to cut with abrasive discs than aluminum.

Funner fact:

I wouldn't "invest" in a high end dremel. I'm all for buying good tools but I think cheaper "Rotary Tools" work ok for the light use they endure. Buy something at Harbor Freight for under 20 bucks.

This 20 dollar kit on Amazon looks fine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/?tag=theminutiae-20

I WOULD buy the Dremel cut off discs though...they are good. The EZ Lock kit is very handy.

The important thing though is that you give your tool FREQUENT breaks while cutting aluminum. It will start to get hot. Take a break for ten mins. If you keep pushing through, you will burn up the brushes.

...Or you could do things the right way and use a angle grinder. ;)

Whatever you do...please...for the love of MINI, practice first on some scrap!!!! There aren't alot of black MINIs left! XD

Peace
Once my next paycheck comes in, I'm buying that Amazon kit, some Dremel Cut off discs and an EZ Lock Mandrel. :D

I'll practice on some scrap I got, sure! :D I wanna do my #193 S4M-C justice! :)

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Lol and here I caught some flak for cutting into #77! :p I can't help that my socket position wasn't ideal for the chassis, thankfully it turned out fine.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

ryandvd

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2017
Once my next paycheck comes in, I'm buying that Amazon kit, some Dremel Cut off discs and an EZ Lock Mandrel. :D

I'll practice on some scrap I got, sure! :D I wanna do my #193 S4M-C justice! :)

Also include a safety goggles and a cheap mask.. My friend gave me his 12 volts proxxon mini router with spare cutting disk, drill bits and extra bits for trimming sharp edges..Watched some youtubes guides and tips for beginners before actually using this machine.

My first project using mini router.

120mm hole for m350