"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Those key caps specifically might be very nice for a terrain generation hotkey :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Being a space geek, I would have greatly preferred a Nebula Fragment key cap but they're sold out for now.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I appreciate the process and methods used to create them. But I don't care much about buying them or collecting them or the obsession over some of them. And I think some of their high prices make me uncomfortable.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
For those looking at a 60% keyboard, I have given my initial thoughts on the Obins Anne Pro which you can read below:

As eluded to in a couple other threads, I picked up my Obins Anne Pro and am putting it through its paces. I also tested out the Bluetooth on it and it works very well for me under Linux and Android. In fact, this entire post was written using the Anne Pro in Bluetooth mode. There are a few things that should be noted about the keyboard.
  • There is an included Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter. Obins recommends that you use the internal Bluetooth 4.0 in your machine if it has it.
  • The keyboard can only have its layout, RGB LED colours, and macros modified via either the official Android or iOS apps or via an open source Windows program
  • Macros do not work at the moment at the firmware level
  • The keyboard's 800 mAh battery can keep the keyboard going for a long time on Bluetooth with the LEDs turned off
  • The stabilizers are a bit rattle-y. I am used to the sound as part of the keyboard sound
  • The keyboard needs to connected to a computer with the included USB cable for about an hour before first use
  • LED profiles are not saved to the keyboard
  • The keyboard does have its quirks which the /r/AnnePro community have compiled in their wiki
That is the what I have come up with so far. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
My keeb!

Vortex Core with DSA Honeywells.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Nice ! Is this keyboard programmable ? Been looking for a 40% like the JJ40 or the Plank.

Yeah, its done through the keyboard itself like Soul_Est said. You press a button, then the button you want to program, then what you want to program it to, then the button again.

It has four layers, each layer identified by a light. You cant see mine because I covered it up with tape, the green light ruined my color scheme lol

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2017
Just wanted to share my new toy :

It's an anne pro (brown switch) with custom keycap from maxkeyboard. I am french so i had to customize my keycap for an Azerty layout. I used a custom font too for fun :D

My old keyboard is the K65 RGB (brown switch) from corsair and looks ugly now :D

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
This makes me miss my old cell phone that had a slide-out keyboard.

Could you link me to that keyboard? That might end up in my living room and/or bedroom.

here I can not recommend buying this though, its garbage. For the 4 times a year i need a keyboard on my HTPC its fine but build quality is garbage, the shift and function keys are swapped around (compared to whats printed on the keys), they key feel is garbage, the key map is a little WTF in places, etc, etc, etc. Im keeping an eye out for a better low cost thumbs Bluetooth keyboard but yeah, there are probably better options out there than this.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Thank you everybody! I'll certainly come take a look every now and then, but I don't think I'll visit often. My tech hobby interests have shifted to 3D-printing and mechanical keyboards, and even about that I'm way less in the loop than I ever was here :)

I also considered just releasing everything as CC0 and making the whole thing a free-for-all, but I think we'll find a better way.

As much as I'd love to do that, it would be really hard to justify designing an SFF PC with the upcoming Hades Canyon NUC. I could certainly try to draw some as practice, though :D

I'm hopeful as well. Let's see what the coming weeks will bring us!

Absolutely. You see, when you have less time and/or less motivation to work on something, you'll do it haphazardly. Instead of going over the final design of the PCB 20 times, testing everything 10 times, trying to break your own product in any way you can imagine, you'll tend to just say "this is good enough", and it never is the first time around. I've seen this countless times with coding projects, of myself and of other people, and it's nothing I would want to happen on hardware at all.

Same thing for software updates. If people find bugs, it takes time to find the root cause, to implement a solution, properly test that nothing broke as a result, distribute an update, write patch notes and everything. That is time I am not willing to spend at this point, but it would be unfair to customers to not properly support and update a product they've paid a good chunk of money for.
What mechanical keyboards are you liking right now? My matt3o dev/tty keycaps are finally shipping!

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What mechanical keyboards are you liking right now? My matt3o dev/tty keycaps are finally shipping!

I've got an XD75RE on order right now, waiting for the letter from customs to pick it up, which will fulfil my ortholinear needs until I get time to complete my custom Atomic build. I'm also following the DO64 PCB to replace my S60-X (something the Bananasplit failed to do), but I think ortholinear really is the way to go for me.

My mid-term goal would be to have a 75-key ortholinear at home and/or work, and a smaller (Preonic or Planck-size) on the go. Once you go that far, it's super easy to get into more interesting stuff like the Let's Split or Nyquist, both of which I'm interested in.

Favourite switch at this time has to be the Kailh Box White. I also really like Gateron Greens, but those are too heavy for gaming. Great for typing, though.

I'm not that big on buying keycap sets. I like my orange+white PBT blanks, and custom sets are just so very expensive without any practical use. Some of them look amazing, though. GMK Nautilus is super dope, huge fan of that.