Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I see, my bad for not paying closer attention I guess. Didn't you at one point have the ATX PSU mounted to the side bracket, rather than directly to the rear?

No worries! You've got plenty to keep track of with your own projects so I certainly wouldn't expect you to be familiar with all the often meandering developments of Nova/Cerberus :)

I had tested a side-mounted bracket on Nova but I wasn't very happy with it.

Xajel

Case Bender
Feb 16, 2016
It's still too early for Type-C.

To me it's not worth going Type-C until we can do USB 3.1 Type-C but motherboards don't have headers for that yet.

I know, thats why I said later.. not now... the question is is there's a plan for rev. 2 with Type-C like 1 year from now ?... and that's why I suggested to have a modular design for the front IO.. so it will be easier and user-upgradable too even though it will complicate the design, maybe the whole IO will be in the top panel rather than part of the chassis it self like now.. so any replacement/option will be matter of having another top panel

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
At this point we don't have plans for another run. If there's demand we'll consider it though.

Part of the reason for the current IO design is I hate IO that is attached to exterior panels, it makes removing them a pain. The current USB ports are panel-mounted so if someone makes a Type-C version with the same spacing for the mounting screws then in theory it could be swapped along with a matching top pane.

Winebaths

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2015
Just curious, how does the breakdown of price and MOQ look? Is there a dramatic drop in price at some MOQ or is it roughly all around the same price?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just curious, how does the breakdown of price and MOQ look? Is there a dramatic drop in price at some MOQ or is it roughly all around the same price?

Within the range of orders that we think it is reasonable to expect to land in, it doesn't change that much. But there's a big enough difference between, say, 100 and 500 orders, that the answer to the question of "is this viable?" changes.

It would take thousands of orders for the unit cost to drop dramatically, mostly because that sort of volume would enable us to pursue manufacturing techniques that have a high fixed cost, and low marginal cost.

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016
At this point we don't have plans for another run. If there's demand we'll consider it though.

Does this mean that you're going to pursue the same shipping approach as the NCase? As far as I know, they manufacture and ship their cases in batches of low volumes instead of continuously making new cases and having a stock saved up.

hiepphotog

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2016
Does this mean that you're going to pursue the same shipping approach as the NCase? As far as I know, they manufacture and ship their cases in batches of low volumes instead of continuously making new cases and having a stock saved up.
I think it just means that they're not sure right now. It certainly depends on how successful the crowdfunding campaign would be. If it's barely funded, I don't think they should have any left over stock at all.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

If there are future production runs, they'll have to be like how NCASE does it, in batches. The big case companies use stamping so the incremental cost of producing one more case is fairly low but with the type of manufacturing used for indie cases like these it's only cost effective to build the cases in batches.

I think it just means that they're not sure right now. It certainly depends on how successful the crowdfunding campaign would be. If it's barely funded, I don't think they should have any left over stock at all.

That too.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
FYI, PC Perspective discuss the Cerberus in their latest podcast!

Starts at 43:10

Last edited by a moderator:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, love them trying to pronounce the mis-typed name :p

BTW, you can link to the time stamp and it will embed it at the correct time. I've edited your post.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The video you posted seemed to be trying to play to a time stamp but it was the wrong time and the URL didn't clearly have the time like it does on the desktop links. I think it may pull the time stamp wherever it's at when you copy the link.

Oh well, is fixed now.

Reactions: alamilla

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, love them trying to pronounce the mis-typed name :p

They also (on the video, presumably in the notes) had it marked down as an ITX case, though they spoke to the fact that it's mATX. No harm, no foul.

Good section though! I listen to their podcast regularly and it was super-bizzare to have them talk about something I myself helped to create.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Survey is going well so far, but quite a few people have used the comment box to ask questions which is awkward because we didn't ask for email addresses so we can't directly answer those questions :p

So Sunday, Feb 21 at 2pm EST we'll be holding a live Q&A on Discord for everyone to ask us questions and hang out.

We'll send out an email as well as update this thread with the link when it goes live.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, it's basically impossible to schedule a time that'd good for NA, Europe, and Oceania. Usually it's just 2 of the 3.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Didn't even know the survey was already up... will fill it in now.

Yes, please do! The information we're getting from that poll is allowing us to gauge everything from how many cases people want, to what the true spread of color preferences and options (handle/window) are. That feedback is very much needed as we work on the campaign :thumb:

Thanks to everyone who's filled it out so far!

Reactions: tedlas