Fingerprint Vandal Switch?

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I was at Costco looking at laptops for a family member, and I saw a laptop with a fingerprint reader built into the power button? Is there a 16mm vandal switch like this?If not, how hard would it be to make one? An RGB one? @iFreilicht huh, huh?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Modules like this exist, as well as others. Though I'm not certain about an anti-vandal form factor. Could be done with a phone sensor I suppose; iFixit sells at least one.

In the meantime, there do exist capacitive anti-vandal switches, and you could use an Arduino board to tune it to your specific biometrics.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I was at Costco looking at laptops for a family member, and I saw a laptop with a fingerprint reader built into the power button? Is there a 16mm vandal switch like this?If not, how hard would it be to make one? An RGB one? @iFreilicht huh, huh?

I know it's possible, my phone has a metal power button that integrates a finger-print sensor as well. However, I assume it is quite difficult to make that yourself, especially because you cannot assume that the finger will always be in the exact same position/orientation. You'll need to model quite delicately how the fingerprint looks and how its representation on the sensor will change under different parameters.

Nothing I am even remotely keen of doing :D

Reactions: Soul_Est

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I know it's possible, my phone has a metal power button that integrates a finger-print sensor as well. However, I assume it is quite difficult to make that yourself, especially because you cannot assume that the finger will always be in the exact same position/orientation. You'll need to model quite delicately how the fingerprint looks and how its representation on the sensor will change under different parameters.

Nothing I am even remotely keen of doing :D
What if I used a premade fingerprint sensor, and I kind of made that a mechanical power button, like putting a fingerprint sensor connected to the stem of MX switch, where it's like a keycap with a fingerprint sensor in it.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
The problem with a fingerprint reader is that it’s useless unless you have a way to register, store, and recognize fingerprints, which means having additional chips that do so (not to mention some sort of UI for doing those). That’s why you hear about things like the Secure Enclave in iPhones that handles those sorts of tasks, but those are basically minicomputers running stripped-down OSes, each of which is specifically paired with a matching fingerprint reader.

While it’s theoretically possible, a strictly capacitive button would probably be SIGNIFICANTLY easier.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
you know, a capacitive button with a pressure sensor and a small vibration buzzer... oh wait that's force touch.

EDIT: aaaaaand my google compulsion got me these results. I'm trying not to start circuit drawings, LOL
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9673

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8449

Last edited: