What did you do today?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Started to learn about FPGA design. It is complex, but very interesting. Downloaded Quartus software and i hope i can design at least something by the end of the year.

Tried to run a few Linux based programs on Windows 10. Thanks god for W10, as it has the support for Linux programs, that can be opened with Bash.

Wrote an article....

Also, i am a bit late on the party, but happy thanks giving to all who celebrated!:)

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Spent time at home yesterday. Finally have a break from school to work a tiny bit on a computer case (though so many others have done what I've been seeking to do) and jump up and down waiting for SFF Lab to open up again.

Seriously debating on waiting for i7-8700 to come back in stock, or pick up the 8700K from microcenter (along with the motherboard) and try undervolting it since I'm using the NH-L9i. I might try R7 1700 or R5 1600 and I hear thermals are good, but I'm kind of biased towards Intel just because of the platform and how people say things run smoother on Intel.
You really should give AMD a try. Instead of going with anecdotal evidence try looking at unbiased reviews (where there are those to be had). I find AnandTech, AdoredTV, and a few other sites actually do their research and test as baseline on both platforms as possible (disabling auto-boost and the like).

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
You really should give AMD a try. Instead of going with anecdotal evidence try looking at unbiased reviews (where there are those to be had). I find AnandTech, AdoredTV, and a few other sites actually do their research and test as baseline on both platforms as possible (disabling auto-boost and the like).

Yeah I've been trying to read up on and watch as much as I can on the 8700, 8700K, and the 1700. Gamers Nexus and AnandTech have been my go-to resources for in-depth testing and review.

When I said I'm biased, it's mostly because I was told by my systems programming professor to "just write on Intel to be safe". There was a whole grading debacle midway through his course because half the class wrote and compiled their programs and projects on AMD systems, but then the programs failed to compile or run (or ran improperly) on the CompSci department's Intel-based machines which our TAs use to grade. Now I'm a completely inept CompSci student after having switched from pure maths; I don't quite understand what happened, so I'm a bit scared of moving from Intel to AMD because of that course. That being said, I *really* want to go 1700 just because my passion is in 3D animation and Cad work, and more cores is better for those types of programs.

Availability is also a factor. My home is 10 minutes away from a Microcenter, but at that particular location the 8700 is out of stock, while the 8700K (and the ROG Strix z370i) is in stock there, as well as the 1700 and an Asrock B350 itx. I'm super tempted to jump the gun on the deals now before I go back to school on Sunday, but my biggest fear is in the 8700K somehow auto-OC'ing itself under my NH-l9i. All of this is probably more suited to a different thread for discussion though, isn't it? I'm just not sure how to proceed.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Had both eyes undergo LASEK, currently sitting in a dark room, with the monitor set to minimum brightness, wearing Class 3 sunglasses.

but my biggest fear is in the 8700K somehow auto-OC'ing itself under my NH-l9i
If you're already intending to undervolt, then that manual setting will override any 'auto-overclock' option a board may have.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Had both eyes undergo LASEK, currently sitting in a dark room, with the monitor set to minimum brightness, wearing Class 3 sunglasses.

If you're already intending to undervolt, then that manual setting will override any 'auto-overclock' option a board may have.

Hoping to do that one day too... Hope it gets better soon!

Anyone managed to score some nice hardware today? I bough a Ryzen 1600 for €150, my first AMD processor ever! Also looking forward to seeing the crazy US video's from black friday :D

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Anyone managed to score some nice hardware today?

After EdZ's post, I thought "maybe I should get the 8700K" and tried to go pick it up from microcenter. In the 10 minutes it took me to drive there, they sold out of the last 4 they had. Tears were shed, but at the same time it's not that much of a savings given how high they're marked up right now.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
There was a whole grading debacle midway through his course because half the class wrote and compiled their programs and projects on AMD systems, but then the programs failed to compile or run (or ran improperly) on the CompSci department's Intel-based machines which our TAs use to grade.
That is the fault of an inept CompSci department. The point is to teach that theory yes, but also its application in various ways. You should be thought how to think when doing anything (how do I code this for the widest range of architectures OR microarchitectures and optimize it) versus what to think (how do I code this to run on this architecture OR microarchitecture and only that).

Now I'm a completely inept CompSci student after having switched from pure maths; I don't quite understand what happened, so I'm a bit scared of moving from Intel to AMD because of that course. That being said, I *really* want to go 1700 just because my passion is in 3D animation and Cad work, and more cores is better for those types of programs.
The fact that you are early in CompSci means that there is a lot you have to learn. That is not ineptness but a fresh start. There are mysteries to be solved (the grading debacle for example) and a fiery passion to feed (3D animation and CAD) which will benefit from what you'll learn.

Availability is also a factor. My home is 10 minutes away from a Microcenter, but at that particular location the 8700 is out of stock, while the 8700K (and the ROG Strix z370i) is in stock there, as well as the 1700 and an Asrock B350 itx. I'm super tempted to jump the gun on the deals now before I go back to school on Sunday, but my biggest fear is in the 8700K somehow auto-OC'ing itself under my NH-l9i. All of this is probably more suited to a different thread for discussion though, isn't it? I'm just not sure how to proceed.
I would recommend going for what you really want and need and telling everyone and everything else that wants to influence that decision to their own ends to take a hike. :cool:

It was interesting at both jobs. At my first job, I installed some hardware in my office, temporarily decommissioned a system, and may have gotten a speaking engagement. At my second job, I handled a couple calls from medical professionals that left me rattled for a bit, had a rather funny call asking about a pickup being done today when the driver comes to do that very pickup, and I missed my first bus home AGAIN (had to leave a message at the end). Will have to look into getting a ride to the nearest stop for the second bus.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Exciting times for you ! Keep us updated !
Thank you and I will!

Today, I visited an old friend who was like a parent to me. Over the little time we shared in discussion and each other's presence, it reaffirmed a fact that many know to be true: The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb. Also, I am looking into getting a car sometime next year. Suffice to say, my wallet and bank accounts are rather concerned now.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Decided that I should be the one rocking the world's largest SFFn logo:

(6th attempt at this - I was doing all this by hand with matte red vinyl and there were a lot of hiccups along the way. Logo is 64x64cm. Yes I realise that it should have been over the left hand side if I wanted the text, but this will just be the Impossible Cube - the text logo will be on the side of the car :) )