Determining Volume

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I know its been discussed before, but I'm kind of curious more so about case feet and handles; how much do they count in our calculations?

On the one hand, they make the bounding box skyrocket, but the total displacement doesn't budge much.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
Also, keep in mind that some manufacturer include the case feet in their height while some don't, so I just use the official dimensions.
Handles, small extrusions, and external pus/radiator should not count either.

Reactions: Biowarejak

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
This gets even more complicated when you look at a case like the Taku. It’s 25 liters if you do your calculations solely on bounding box, but it looks like half of that is volume taken up by the legs. It raises even more questions if you factor in desk space, as it only touches the desk on the legs and can arguably create more desk space if you use it as a monitor stand.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
and external pus/radiator should not count either

Disagree on this one. If I have an NFC S4 Mini with a Eurocom 780W PSU, I wouldn't still consider it a 4.5L case. Same goes for an external radiator box, pump assembly etc. I personally like the definition by @Chrizz above:

In my opinion, as long as your computer works without it, it doesn't count towards the volume.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I care about footprint, and ease of transport.

Volume helps to quickly generate a number for easy comparison of sizes between
empty chassis, but it is worthless as a number for a completed system. Too many variables, too many configurations, and at at the end of the day, we only care about how much space our PC takes up on our desk, and how easy is it to move.

So yes, the S4 MINI is a sub 4.5L chassis. A configured system will blow past that. The Taku is a 25L chassis, but it has a tiny footprint when you consider how much stuff you can put under and above it. It's not super portable though.

That's how I look at it anyway. And I have funny lookin' eyes.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
I think volume of case is inner space - no handles, no feets. Think about water volume - you cannot fill them (handles, feets) with water.
So, i think Criorig Taku is around 11-13 liters (with height >65mm for cooler 48mm)
External radiator and power adapter adds volume, but to complete PC, not to the case volume.

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
If I actually made a case, I'd include everything: body, legs, handle, rear protrusions, etc. If it needed an external power brick or radiator for the liquid cooled, Id include that as well. I would not count the space underneath the legs or handle though. Kind of like taping all the holes in the case up, throwing it in a bathtub and measuring the total amount of water displaced.

Honegod

Cable Smoosher
Dec 7, 2017
I think ya gotta count the feet, the surface it is sitting on is a necessary part of the case, as the wall is for a wall mounted case, it forms the 6th side.
Granted most all cases have an added bottom and spacers but that is just wasted space when there is a perfectly good side already waiting.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I think ya gotta count the feet, the surface it is sitting on is a necessary part of the case, as the wall is for a wall mounted case, it forms the 6th side.
Granted most all cases have an added bottom and spacers but that is just wasted space when there is a perfectly good side already waiting.
Yeah but feet add a disproportionate amount of bounding box volume compared to their displacement. We don't usually include the PCIe flange for that reason.

Honegod

Cable Smoosher
Dec 7, 2017
I guess there needs to be 2 specs for volume, like wet weight and dry weight for motorcycles.

Enclosed volume and used volume, used volume should include the space required by the plugs on the cords, audio, video etc, power brick, handle, PCIe flange , feet, Like that.

A separate box with all the fans and radiators would help the "dry" while murdering the "wet" volume.

Reactions: Biowarejak