GPU Any hopes for single-slot vega card?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
What do you think? Should one be hopeful for a single-slot Vega-card to compete with the KFA2/Galax GTX 1070 Katana? The Katana is virtually impossible to get by, and costs a bit too much imo (I blame cryptominers...), so it would be nice to get a similar card from team Red instead.

What do you guys think?

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
Single slot for a compact case ... not going to happen. Unless you plan on installing something like a 1050 equivalent Vega.

On average based upon the FF edition and the power rating, and the fact that AMD is using the GPU TDP at times, instead of board TDP, its clear that its a "hot" gpu. Aka, about 30 to 40% higher power consumption and this directly translates into heat output. So unless you want a fan that runs 100% none stop, even a ITX dual slot version looks like a issue ( unless they downclock the GPU to save on power/heat ).

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I honestly havent followed the Vega announcements that much; waiting for the proper reviews once it is released. But from what you are saying, I should conclude that AMD is sticking to their legacy of producing very hot GPUs? Quite sad really... Let us hope we are all wrong. =)

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
I honestly havent followed the Vega announcements that much; waiting for the proper reviews once it is released. But from what you are saying, I should conclude that AMD is sticking to their legacy of producing very hot GPUs? Quite sad really... Let us hope we are all wrong. =)

Just read up on the FF edition, and the heat issues there. When you use that information and correlate this to the Vega 64/56 there Board TDP, its clear to me that they have a power issue ( again ).

Its the same reason why i sold my AMD 290x and switched to a Nvidia 970. While i took a loss in performance, the amount of pure quiet bliss was well worth it. After reason up about the FF, i already figured that AMD had issues again and simply ordered myself a 1070 for my SFF build.

Not saying its a bad GPU but they are just catching up on Nvidia, even with a increased power usage. People expected to see a Intel / Ryzen style with Vega but they forgot that Intel has been more or less sitting on there behinds the last few years. This made the Ryzen much more impressive. Nvidia has not been sitting on there behinds ( beyond also increasing the prices *grumble* because of lack strong competition ).

AMD frankly made a big mistake buying up ATI in the past. The have been constantly pushing there GPU development too much with pure raw power / wattage to fight Nvidia. Especially the last few years. And now that Vega comes out, in a few months we are looking at Nvidia there 1060/1070/1080 refresh lineup... Mja ... that is going to be much harder fight for AMD i fear, then on the CPU side with Intel ( who shot themselves in the foot with x299 ).

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Only the last few generations. The Radeon HD 5870 was a big leap forward in GPU perf/watt and Nvidia's very late response to it was a card that had the running joke of being able to fry an egg on: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gtx+480+fry+egg

I don't want to nitpick, but it is quite a long time since the 5870. Xp

I started out in 2009 with a 4850 and upgraded to the 6870 a year later. I swapped out that 6870 only one year ago. Anyway, 5870 is like 7 years old or so. Time flies.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, he mentioned the ATI buyout and that was even earlier :p

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
Well, he mentioned the ATI buyout and that was even earlier :p

I mentioned the ATI buyout because it has been pulling on AMD under for a long time. Do not forget that AMD has been making a loss for years upon years. The issue with diverting like this, is that there focus is split between the two platforms. Less a issue if you are like Nvidia with nice profits but for AMD ... I remember it getting so bad, that the sold there manufacturing away. And that then resulted in several bad product launches because there manufacturing partners had issues ( what cost AMD time = money and reputation = money ).

The cards i was referring to was of course in the last few generations. The HD 5870 was what, 2009? That is a awfully long time ago. Darn i am old to remember all that :(