Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I would say if your Dell 330 is "crapping out" with the Zotac 1080 and 7700K then you need to get another Dell 330, because yours is not good. That brick in my experience can power that combo constantly with anything you can throw at it. What will be interesting to see is how the two bricks compete when moving to the 1080ti or overclocking (though overclocking in a MINI is stupid. Buy an Ncase or something.)

Coil whine with the HDPLEX 300 AC/DC and HDPLEX 400 is almost non-existent. It is the best 19v-24v DC solution I have seen and on par with many 12v solutions. This doesn't mean your GPU will not whine (but it might help...trying to get some more 1080s to test simultaneously).
wait a sec for gtx 1080ti...with my setup i'm exceeding regurlaly 400w of total power used (oc r7 1700x and gtx 1080ti oc)..:)
Alone my msi gtx 1080ti gaming x can reach 330w..:)

Anyway, it's a very good progress from hdplex about coil whine..:)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I think sample size is what is important here. I have tested boxes of Dell 330s, but I only have two HDPLEX 300s.

I have had Dell 330w PSUs that cap out at 330w, and ones that can handle much greater spikes or operate at 320-330 for long periods.

The HDPLEX 300 AC/DC is something I want very much to recommend but I need to take it slow and be careful.

I would say if your Dell 330 is "crapping out" with the Zotac 1080 and 7700K then you need to get another Dell 330, because yours is not good. That brick in my experience can power that combo constantly with anything you can throw at it. What will be interesting to see is how the two bricks compete when moving to the 1080ti or overclocking (though overclocking in a MINI is stupid. Buy an Ncase or something.)

Coil whine with the HDPLEX 300 AC/DC and HDPLEX 400 is almost non-existent. It is the best 19v-24v DC solution I have seen and on par with many 12v solutions. This doesn't mean your GPU will not whine (but it might help...trying to get some more 1080s to test simultaneously).

Yeah, unfortunately I tried two Dell bricks that have both crapped out on me, one with a green LED and embossed logo, and one without an embossed logo and a blue led. When both failed me I had just opened World of Warcraft on recommended settings, and my kill a watt only read 200 Watts. My wallet wouldn't allow me to try yet another Dell brick, so I decided to try the HDPlex 300 watt ACDC and it has worked great, although it can get HOT. Limiting the fps does help however a lot.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Yeah, a lid replacement for the the 300w ac-dc definitely seems like a more sane solution. Potentially quieter too? I don't imagine 780w would be nice acoustics wise especially under load.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Yeah, a lid replacement for the the 300w ac-dc definitely seems like a more sane solution. Potentially quieter too? I don't imagine 780w would be nice acoustics wise especially under load.
That's the idea, I have a couple noiseblocker fans that I got to test the noise levels but haven't quite powered them up yet.

I'll be doing a bit more modeling work for the replacement panels today and tomorrow and then will work on getting them made for testing.

I watched a review of the 780w and it seemed pretty quiet but that's always hard to judge from a video unless they to an actual noise comparison test.

mirekti

Cable Smoosher
Jul 28, 2017
Hi all. It seems I am having issues with my HDPlex 400W.
I used to use HDPlex 300W and yesterday I received the new 400W. However, I am not able to power on the PC once I shut it down from the OS.
Could you check the video and give me an advice what might be wrong in my setup, please?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uszy6qh780b212q/My Movie.mp4?dl=0

I use Dell 330W brick and the board is ASRock Z270 Fatality itx.

Thanks!!!

Julio Espinosa

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
Hi all. It seems I am having issues with my HDPlex 400W.
I used to use HDPlex 300W and yesterday I received the new 400W. However, I am not able to power on the PC once I shut it down from the OS.
Could you check the video and give me an advice what might be wrong in my setup, please?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uszy6qh780b212q/My Movie.mp4?dl=0

I use Dell 330W brick and the board is ASRock Z270 Fatality itx.

Thanks!!!
It's very strange.
Could you try it on another pc?
It could be a defective piece.

mirekti

Cable Smoosher
Jul 28, 2017
Are you using the right cable for your motherboards supplemental power?

Yes, I believe so. There are two 8 pin cables, one with dual 8 (I guess for the GPU) and the other with single 8 on one side and double 4 on the other. I am using the latter one. I even tried with the old PSU's CPU cable. It is a mistery to me what's wrong here.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yes, I believe so. There are two 8 pin cables, one with dual 8 (I guess for the GPU) and the other with single 8 on one side and double 4 on the other. I am using the latter one. I even tried with the old PSU's CPU cable. It is a mistery to me what's wrong here.
There was just an issue a few pages back where the wrong header was used on the unit, causing the wrong cable to slide in and cause boot issues

Reactions: Phuncz

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Yes, I believe so. There are two 8 pin cables, one with dual 8 (I guess for the GPU) and the other with single 8 on one side and double 4 on the other. I am using the latter one. I even tried with the old PSU's CPU cable. It is a mystery to me what's wrong here.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards it being a defective unit since you plug it in and it works the first time but once you turn it off it doesn't respond anymore. Seems to me like that'd be an issue with the PSU either not looking for the signal to turn back on or thinking that no signal is being received.

Out of curiosity, how is your switch wired up? I'm assuming it plugged into the motherboard pins but since the 400w has a couple extra PS_ON and P_Good pins next to the 24pin I'd be curious if it works with the switch wired up to there. (I'm assuming it can be used that way but I'm not sure)

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
There was just an issue a few pages back where the wrong header was used on the unit, causing the wrong cable to slide in and cause boot issues

In the video, it's pretty clear that he has everything plugged in correctly. It powers up fine the first time but then after shut down doesn't respond until power is removed from the unit.