Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
As an owner of the NCase M1 and a Dan A4-SFX, if you ever get a production run off the ground, "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" This is by far the best custom PC case project so far. You have my full support!

Thanks Geedub that means a lot to me. ! I hope i do so that I can see what this awesome crazy community would do with the case :)

Any update from FSP on getting a psu made?

Last I spoke to them was about a year ago. They were on board in making the 700W platinum PSU with custom length cables. I'll have to refresh with them, get them new cable lengths so they can do EU/US/Asia certification.

If you need help getting in contact with FSP Group, I have some LinkedIn connections I could reach out to.

Thanks G.S. If i have problems with my direct contacts I'll send you a message. Greatly appreciated !

irq506

Efficiency Noob
Mar 27, 2017
MarcParis,

Thank you for your wishes, lets just say the family situation is now stable so all good :) everything is back on track.
With regards to the PSU, and cables, they will not come premodded.
I've discussed with FSP and they said they will modify their 1U server PSU to meet "gaming" standards (6-8pin pcie plugs instead to 8pin cpu plugs), and they will modify the cable lengths to suit the case, however they will not braid the cables or paint the psu. That will have to be left for the creative modders out there :)

Thank you for the tip Aibohphobia.
I have rough estimates but nothing firm. Obviously I don't want to over promise and under deliver.
If you know of any good quality manufacturers that I could approach, I would greatly appreciate your help on this as the prototype guys aren't going to make a large volume run, since it would be too expensive.

I wonder if its possible to sell the 3d files (or a package with cutting list and dimensions folds etc), and have the buyers do the work of finding a MFR or prototyper to fab the thing for themselves? You could make a 'guts package' of PSU cables etc included in the deal and that would be the only thing you'd have to physically deal with. Just a thought.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I wonder if its possible to sell the 3d files (or a package with cutting list and dimensions folds etc), and have the buyers do the work of finding a MFR or prototyper to fab the thing for themselves? You could make a 'guts package' of PSU cables etc included in the deal and that would be the only thing you'd have to physically deal with. Just a thought.
Might become too expensive for each person to buy single units. Not to mention that the 3D files are out there and someone could just give them to everyone who wanted the case. I'd recommend doing a GB style or at least some amount of grouping.

Whaler_99

Case Bender
Jul 23, 2017
Great looking case! Joined the forum so I could comment and follow your thread. Very interested in SFF cases but my one issue has always been the few things you have to sacrifice with mITX boards versus my tried and true mATX, my preferred form factor. Currently have a Hex Gear R40 but getting parts for them here in Canada is a bit of a challenge. Looking forward to what you can do in regards to a manufacturer or a kickstarter campaign. Add me to any notify lists you might have. :)
Great work!

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I didn't realize that there was a touch button. Where did you get it, is it custom, and how did you wire it?

No, its off the shelf. Took a few days of research to find a capacitive button that doesn't require external power and looked the way I want it to :)
LINK

@LukeD, will there be support for mATX x299?

There most likely will be. All platforms will be supported as long as there's low profile coolers to support them.

I was wondering when do you think this case will be available?

I can't tell you right now as I'm still looking for a manufacturer. Once that's sorted, more than likely I'll know when the kickstarter will begin.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
No, its off the shelf. Took a few days of research to find a capacitive button that doesn't require external power and looked the way I want it to :)
LINK

There most likely will be. All platforms will be supported as long as there's low profile coolers to support them.

I can't tell you right now as I'm still looking for a manufacturer. Once that's sorted, more than likely I'll know when the kickstarter will begin.
Now, I need to find a switch in the USA...

Reactions: AleksandarK

deanorthk

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 27, 2017
this project is indeed very nice to follow. On my side, since I have the Ncase M1, I've completly fell in love with the size, I've completed what I think is best for me, aka fully WC, but with rads pump(s) and reservoir under my desk, fixed under its surface in fact. and I'll keep it that way, it's non movable of course, but in terms of performances and cooling, it's perfect. so I kinda dream of a sli capable matx rig, that would be as small as possible, with WC out holes. this case seems almost to fit the role perfectly:)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean maybe if it was a simplified model with no engineering data, and with strict licensing terms (non-commercial use only, and applying to all derivatives). The S4 Mini has a model like that on this very forum for letting us plan builds and mods :) But it's ultimately up to @LukeD and I can really only say that it would make sense after he's set up for production and such.

Castlepounder

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2017
Do you think there's a way you could set up some sort of email list for the kickstarter? I really love the case, but don't check here too often? Keep up the great work!

Reactions: Biowarejak