What did you do today?

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
it was. its worth noting that i paid significantly more than any of the other grey importers were asking for. Kogan is an established brand so after I made my peace w/ it being a grey import and not a local phone (Apple wont touch it for repairs due to it being from elsewhere so im shit out of luck if the touch ID module / button ever packs up) I was hoping the higher price might have been accounting for it actually having been inspected by a tech. Especially w/ their claims of it being serviced as such. This isnt the first iphone ive bought 2nd hand (actually ive never bought one new) and the headphone issue is both rampant and well documented with the 5 and 5s, this should have been checked, there is zero excuse for not checking it, especially when your charging as much as they were above the competition and somewhat obfuscating the fact that its a grey import to begin with & trading on your established brand recognition. Its bad enough to be unmissable, even w/out having any audio playing through the device, just handling the phone results in loud static through the audio port.

Condition: A+ Grade Factory Refurbished

Please check the What’s In The Box section to see what is included with this product.

The stringent refurbishment process includes:

• Full testing
  • Refurbishment with replacement third party or genuine swapped parts if necessary
  • A thorough clean and inspection
  • Repackaging in a new box

The refurbished Apple iPhone 5s works as you expect it to. Each individual phone undergoes a stringent refurbishment process which includes the replacement of defective parts with third party or genuine swapped components, a thorough clean and a full inspection. It is then repackaged in a new box.

When you purchase a pre-owned iPhone you are guaranteed a fully functional phone. Phones may have minor cosmetic imperfections, such as scratches or marks, but everything will be working perfectly. Each phone meets premiere quality standards.

Last edited:

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
If it is a well-known issue it will have been checked...

They now rely on you to either be so persistent to warrant exchange/repair or to give up...

Reactions: Biowarejak

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
If it is a well-known issue it will have been checked...

Indeed, either way it was put onto the market w/ the fault and listed as having been refurbished and tested. Either it wasnt properly tested, it wasnt properly serviced (which would imply it also wasnt properly tested as well i suppose) or it was knowingly put onto market faulty and sold at a premium trading on brand reputation & having been tested and serviced. Either way this is a well known problem. My suspicion is that their only checked and graded cosmetically and turned on to test the display and touch input, graded then put on the market. My theory is that its cheaper to eat the returns than to pay people to do anything more than the bare minimum "testing" (& the cost of hardware to test the lightning and headphone ports, even headphones / speakers & usb charger cables will ware out w/ enough insertion cycles). Chances are pretty high I will eat the cost of getting it repaired locally at this point, the time involved in sending it back to .hk and waiting for a replacement to arrive, the possibility they will refuse to warranty it and demand i pay postage again to get the faulty product back, etc is starting to look like more hassle than its worth. Ultimately I paid for a serviced and tested phone, listed as being in good working order and thats not what i received. Moral of the story, I wont be shopping w/ Kogan ever again.

Last edited:

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
So today I sat down to softmod a wii u. My logic here is that games purchased and backed up to a USB HDD last forever, games purchased and played from the disk get scratched sooner or later. Two days ago Nintendo released an update that patched the exploit. TWO days ago god damn it. Ive since blackholed all the Nintendo update servers in the hopes that 5.5.2 will eventually get exploited but two days too damn late :'(

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Software stuff I did today:
I played with FOG Project and CloneDeploy today to figure out which I'd like to use since MDT has been failing me as of late. Both have their pros and cons but it was kind of fun. Ended up deciding to go with CloneDeploy as it fit my needs better and I like the cleaner UI. Also worked on a caching server using NGINX to cache a lot of HTTP traffic that goes through the network including game CDNs and update CDNs and setup a 128GB RAM disk and a 32TB ZFS Raid10 array on the cache server.

Hardware stuff I did today:
Got to play with 4 years of Alienware pcs and fix some issues they were having along with setting up some PCs to make images. Ranging from the Aurora R3 to the R5, R1 and R2 of the Alpha, and R1 of the X51. Didnt get a chance to play with the Area-51 yet tho (These are all sponsored machines). Also played with a Dell gaming pc with abysmal specs and a Dell laptop with a GTX 1050, first time ive got my hands on a Laptop with a desktop grade GPU. Also got to tinker with some 10GB NICs and a 10GB switch using a pDHCP server on a private LAN. Speeds were insane! Too bad I cant update all the pcs with the new hardware (only had 10 PCIe NICs to play with and we have ~250 pcs).

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Built my Original Prusa i3 MK2S today in one sitting, took about 9.5 hours including a short muesli break. For the last four hours I had a friend help me, that was super cool. Too tired to run the full calibration now, but I've found a good height for the inductive probe and selftest was successful. Good night everybody.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
I did something different/interesting today so I thought I'd share :)

Started working on Sleeving this EVGA Hadron PSU (comments within album):

That's as far as I got since I'm waiting on the sleeving to arrive still (been a week already :[ )

Still haven't decided if I'm gonna bother splicing on my nicer wire or not...

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Went for my first dive in nearly a decade! All the new(ish) kit works just fine, and my buoyancy control wasn't nearly as rusty as I worried it might be even with the added wrinkle of the drysuit. Of course, this being a weekend in the height of summer there was more water falling outside the lake than there was in the lake, but such is life in Ol' Blighty.
Incidentally, if anyone in the UK is looking for an inland dive site near Bristol, Vobster Quay is pretty nice: heated changing rooms, the kitting-up areas have benches and awnings, and they have a nifty tab system so you don't need to carry your wallet around when geared up. Plenty of objects in the 16-20m level, and the small handful of fish are blasé about you swimming nearby.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Some colleagues went to a Amazon AWS conference and their general opinion seems nearly unanimous. Amazon needs to improve its marketing text and also not give its AWS tools opaque, cryptic names.

I'm also going back on the job market even though I have a job, it's still a short term contract. Trying to get the attention of some smaller companies that are doing work in graphics and AR but no response from them yet. I hope my location isn't an issue :eek:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
My condolences to the both of you, and anyone else who has felt such loss.

That said, if you need any help getting through it don't be afraid to talk to someone. It helps.

*Sigh*

Now, I mostly just worked on finalizing my class schedule and getting ready to move out today.

Project: TEC is still active but updates will be somewhat delayed as I transition into the new routine in the coming weeks and having to deal with parental units trying to dictate how I spend my time recently. I do have a build of the UI+Touch implementation sitting on my desk currently but I think I stumbled on a bug and haven't had time to fix it. Considering starting a GitHub repo for organizational purposes :)

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Considering starting a GitHub repo for organizational purposes
As an aside if you want to reap the benefits of using a version control system but dont want to publish your work yet (or pay github for private repos) you can use git wholly independently of github, its essentially a web front end for git.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
As an aside if you want to reap the benefits of using a version control system but dont want to publish your work yet (or pay github for private repos) you can use git wholly independently of github, its essentially a web front end for git.
At one point I was going to look into it and totally forgot :)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I learned that my Grandpa passed away this morning.:(
You and yours have my condolences.

:( I know what it's like since my sister passed at the end of this last June.

Sorry for your loss. Keep on keeping on, I wish you the best :/
I am so sorry to read that. My condolences are yours as well.

My condolences to the both of you, and anyone else who has felt such loss.

That said, if you need any help getting through it don't be afraid to talk to someone. It helps.

*Sigh*

Now, I mostly just worked on finalizing my class schedule and getting ready to move out today.

Project: TEC is still active but updates will be somewhat delayed as I transition into the new routine in the coming weeks and having to deal with parental units trying to dictate how I spend my time recently. I do have a build of the UI+Touch implementation sitting on my desk currently but I think I stumbled on a bug and haven't had time to fix it. Considering starting a GitHub repo for organizational purposes :)
I do hope that the parental units drop their egos and start to see and treat you as a person and not just their child. Still have that issue with two of three parental units in my life.

Today, I applied for a different position in a different department at my primary job, picked up the Obins Anne Pro from the post office (feels great to type on), and planned my day tomorrow.

Last edited: