SFF.Network Hands on with SilverStone's NJ450-SXL fanless SFX-L prototype!

In a SFF Network exclusive, we take a took at a early SilverStone prototype of a 450W fanless (you read that right, completely passively cooled) SFX-L power supply here at Computex 2017!..

Read more here!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on SFX/passive segmentation. But I do agree it's a problem now that they have a product that crosses both.

And you're right, people who specifically seek out passive PSUs are much more educated than the typical PC builder and as such I guess it doesn't matter what category it's in.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Would it come with sfx cables? If it does it might be best to put it in the same category as the rest that does.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's still so early almost nothing has been decided yet.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Any thoughts on if this should be part of the Nightjar (passive) or SFX lineups?

Basically it's whether this should be considered primarily a passive PSU that happens to be SFX, or primarily a SFX PSU that happens to be passive.

Initially I was leaning towards SFX and Tony towards Nightjar, but after thinking about it I'm not sure. At this point fanless PSUs are actually rarer than SFX or SFX-L, so from a marketing perspective it may make more sense to highlight that it's fully passive.

But the only unit currently in the Nightjar line is the 520W ATX NJ520. So you'd end up with the situation where the 450W would be more expensive than the 520W because of the smaller size. Thus, for someone shopping for a fanless PSU it'd only make sense to buy the 450W if you specifically need the smaller form factor.

In that case then maybe it'd make more sense to put it in the SFX line? But it's kinda the same problem, this will be more expensive than everything except maybe the SX800-LTI, despite being only 450W. So it'd only make sense to buy for someone who specifically wants the lowest noise.

It's a tricky question. Though on a shallower level, if it's a SFX it'll get a black anodized finish like the prototype and if it's a Nightjar it'll be silver. The black looks good but one second thought the silver would look striking too.
I'd put it in the Nightjar line myself. Unlike all other SFX PSUs, which can be slotted into any SFX (or ATX with adaptor plate) case without concern, a passive PSU requires a specific orientation and dedicated airflow paths to operate. Having that distinction is valuable.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Got some clarifications and details from Tony:

It's very likely this will be part of the Nightjar line. So that settles that debate.

USB monitoring is unlikely to make it to production, with the reason being is that debugging and calibrating it is too time-consuming and they want to get this to market sooner rather than later. So unless the feature works pretty much flawlessly within the first round or two of tweaking they'll just remove it.

Speaking of which, Enhance and the SilverStone PSU team are trying hard to get this done by Q4 but we should set our expectations low considering the track record of the SX500-G/SX650-G (which were first shown off at CES 2016 and still aren't out yet).

This is indeed based off the SX800-LTI platform, with the PCB split up into 4 sections, with each section attached to one of the aluminum sides for heatsinking.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Awesome unit, I'm sure many will want to use it in the M1, the orientation and position in that case is perfect for this!

Definitely interesting, especially for external psu.

Oh hot damn, you're right. Does anyone know how many 12V rails the SX800-LTI has? It might actually be very easy to make this into a 450W power brick.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It was already going to release for sure, SilverStone just wasn't even sure of which product line it would be in when I first talked to them.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Looking how you and silverstone have been in contact, can we expect a pre-release product review? ;)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looking how you and silverstone have been in contact, can we expect a pre-release product review? ;)

I've reviewed the last 5 SFX/SFX-L PSUs they've released so I certainly hope so!

so you'd only need one cable that connects to the ATX24pin (to turn the PSU on) and one 12V connector, maybe a blocker for the other plugs, and you'd be good to go.

Yup, and way smaller than whatever AMD had going on for Project Quantum:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ahah, so best external psu is coming,,,some nfc s4 mini will like that, hoping there won't be coil whine..:)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Isn't it still larger than some bricks ? Also, I'm sure they could make it a LOT smaller if they didn't have to include 3.3V, 5V, -12V, all the sense crap and what-not to make it a regular 12V PSU that's good for external usage.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Not yet. I don't expect to hear anything new until October at the earliest, but I fully expect this to not release until maybe even Q2 next year given SilverStone's track record.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Will 40C operating temperature be a problem in mini-itx cases? For example Dan A4 case, where case flow is non-existant?

After having heard my SF600 ramp up its fan, I would feel relieved to get a fanless unit.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It'll really depend on the derating curve, which hopefully SilverStone is willing to share once the specs are finalized.

I suspect that running it at full load for extended periods of time above the rated temperature will be problematic, but for moderate loads it should be able to handle higher than 40°C.