Concept MK-2 (Sub 6L Watercooled SFF)

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Ok so getting close! Most all mounting points have been added, clearances look good for the first prototype, and the rear IO area has been modified with the specifics discussed above. I could do single height cards but that limits the market to only AMD Rx series at this point in time as every 10 series card has a dual slot DVI port.

Also, really liking the all black look...

OurDarkLordSauron

Case Bender
Jun 27, 2017
Would there also be some sort of bracket for the bottom of the graphics card IO? It seems like the GPU would sag quite a bit, if it were orientated horizontally.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
There is an additional support mounted to the bottom of the case that will support the GPU in horizontal applications. The riser will actually mount to this support.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So the update for today is that I will likely be ordering the first prototype frame tomorrow! I hope to be able to get my aluminum pieces started this weekend as well! We are looking at about 3 weeks out for a completed build based on how long shapeways takes to print the frame. Once my prototype is built I do plan on selling my #72 S4 mini just as a heads up for someone that might be interested.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Prototype frame has been ordered!! I am thinking though that for any production run that the case will increase in thickness from 90mm to 95mm for a total volume just under 5L at 4.98L. That will allow better compatibility and manufacturing.

Edit: Prototype frame will reflect the increase in thickness as discussed earlier. I just updated the order!

Last edited:

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Near final representation of what a production case would look like. I got a bit more aggressive with material reduction and was able to shave another $12 off of the production cost from shapeways. Motherboard standoff from base is industry standard of 6.5mm in this iteration.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm liking this a lot. The matte black finish does look great, and screws could blend in better if they were black too. I also noticed that the rear IO cutout is one single larger hole that wraps around the I/O shield and GPU slot. Kind of a peculiar design choice if you ask me.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Well the one with the single cutout for the GPU and CPU is not the final iteration. That was done due to the case being slightly to thin to allow for enough material between the two cutouts. The ordered prototype and what I hope to be the final production iteration will have more traditional cutouts.