What did you do today?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I bought some EK landing pads when I got the keyboard, quiets it down pretty well.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
While I do understand and appreciate your preferences and opinions and the reasoning behind them, I do have my own and reasoning behind them which I would appreciate having respected as well. I personally do like the clicky and tactile switches. The issues for me are the blue switches are pretty loud and the brown switches have too small of a tactile bump compared to the blues. The Zealio switches and Kaihua Kailh Copper switches seem like the better alternative to the brown switches for me from what I have read. I would need to build a custom board using either switch to find out for sure though.

Thank you for keeping us in the moment.
I personally don't like browns either. The Kalih Coppers don't have that big of a bump. Have you tried Cherry MX Clears? A lot of people like Zealios, but I prefer Cherry MX Clears, then Zealios for tactile switches.

I do love my linear vintage ALPS. I'd love to find a modern PCB to solder them on.
Depending on which type of ALPS switches, look at the ALPS64.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69740.0

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
More keyboard chat,

I picked up the K63 Kb from Corsair today and I really like the Reds on it and the K70. Blues are really nice too but my family has all but vetoed them! So many " I can hear you typing" texts...

Got it for 69 bucks which I think is a solid deal.

Reactions: Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Piggybacking off this, I got a few 1u keys today from NPKC that were missing for my BananaSplit build. So now I only need to wait for the PCB and my printer to print out a plate for the thing, so it's pretty much complete :D

Oh and I spent the entire day working on the Iris 16 firmware prototype. 3 Hours of this were lost to a bug that was caused by me not knowing how to do array subscription on 2D arrays in progmem properly. Fucking hell, programming can be so frustrating.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Piggybacking off this, I got a few 1u keys today from NPKC that were missing for my BananaSplit build. So now I only need to wait for the PCB and my printer to print out a plate for the thing, so it's pretty much complete :D

Oh and I spent the entire day working on the Iris 16 firmware prototype. 3 Hours of this were lost to a bug that was caused by me not knowing how to do array subscription on 2D arrays in progmem properly. Fucking hell, programming can be so frustrating.
I haven't even figured out part of the RGB for the IS31FL3733, it's going to be a long time before anything gets done...

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I personally don't like browns either. The Kalih Coppers don't have that big of a bump. Have you tried Cherry MX Clears? A lot of people like Zealios, but I prefer Cherry MX Clears, then Zealios for tactile switches.
I have not tried those switches unfortunately. No local meetups yet.

ALPS SKCC (tall cream) from the Apple M0110.
Back when Apple's quality matched their design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Argh, apparently friday something bit my leg and now I have something typical to an insect bite. I think it was a yellow or beige spider about 20mm long. It only started to become a bother about 24 hours later. So I've been switching ice-packs, taking anti-infection pain killers and keeping my leg up.

Right before I installed a dash cam in my new car, and applied some "gap molding" or "interior trim" . I think it looks OK, it detracts from some lines that are not so good-looking.

Can you spot the dashcam ?

Gaudy or just right ? I'm still undecided.

Don't mind the previous owner's elbow indent.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I haven't even figured out part of the RGB for the IS31FL3733, it's going to be a long time before anything gets done...

Then get to it ;) You're not going to make progress complaining about not making progress.

Argh, apparently friday something bit my leg and now I have something typical to an insect bite. I think it was a yellow or beige spider about 20mm long. It only started to become a bother about 24 hours later. So I've been switching ice-packs, taking anti-infection pain killers and keeping my leg up.

Right before I installed a dash cam in my new car, and applied some "gap molding" or "interior trim" . I think it looks OK, it detracts from some lines that are not so good-looking.

Can you spot the dashcam ?

Gaudy or just right ? I'm still undecided.

Don't mind the previous owner's elbow indent.

Looks pretty swell to me.

Wolf_LikeMe

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2017

Depending on which type of ALPS switches, look at the ALPS64.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69740.0
It's a shame clears aren't more readily available. I will probably get them in a 70% for my next board. After I rip my full size board (MX Browns) from its filthy plastic housing and make it a nice wooden one.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I still love my Ducky Shine 5 RGB keyboard with Cherry MX Nature White (linear fan here).

My future keyboard, many years from now, will likely be a Topre RGB though, hopefully a nice 70% will come out by then.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Today is another day without my main online community running.... Bit-Tech.net has been offline since last Wednesday for a forum upgrade to XenForo, which I thought would take a couple of days tops. Seemingly not :eek:
Thank goodness for this place; as I am missing what's going on with builds, what people are up to and what's on the market place.
I hope it's back soon

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I left Bit-Tech years ago as they were very LFF focused, and the community shunned anything not ATX, watercooled and sleeved.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I left Bit-Tech years ago as they were very LFF focused, and the community shunned anything not ATX, watercooled and sleeved.
Happily, IMHO times have changed, and SFF is making inroads into B-T. There is still plenty of watercooling, LED/RGB action and monster cases though...

That said, I have been made welcome there; and have had the pleasure of actually meeting a few of the guys who are local and semi local.
That makes a difference, and helped the community feel IMHO. There is a fair bit of banter and also generosity with helping other members with parts and spares.

Finally, the B-T marketplace is fairly vibrant for used kit (I only buy SSDs new these days, and pretty much run an 'Always Second Hand' policy) and is safe and reasonably priced.