Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

D

Deleted member 26442

As a long time passive thread reader, I've just registered to share interesting information with you regarding S3 standby on renoir:

As known, neither on A300 nor X300 standby (ACPI S3) does work/is available when a Ryzen 4XXXG (Renoir) is installed.
Many users had the assumption that this is due to the PRO cpu. Me too, as AMD explicitely states on their website that standby is disabled by default on PRO cpus for security features.
However, other users confirmed that on other motherboards standby is working well, also with Renoir PRO cpus.

I had the chance to get a NON-PRO Renoir 4300GE. So i checked out this thesis with an interesting (and depressing!) result: S3 does still NOT work (is unavailable, see screenshot below:

Conclusion: The unavailable standby has nothing to do with the PRO cpus, but with Renoir in general!

Therefore, I'm really angry: with respect, ASRock gives a f*** about their customers!!! Non working standby on renoir still not fixed, not even on X300 (which officially supports Renoir). Ridiculous how such basic feature is "not available"!!!
PS: Coil-whine - also never fixed!
PPS: Some users would call it scam that they sell the X300 which is basically the same as the A300 (mainboard with sticker).

--> If there was an alternative I would never buy a Deskmini again. Unfortunately, there is none real...

leo1981

Chassis Packer
May 25, 2020
As a long time passive thread reader, I've just registered to share interesting information with you regarding S3 standby on renoir:

As known, neither on A300 nor X300 standby (ACPI S3) does work/is available when a Ryzen 4XXXG (Renoir) is installed.
Many users had the assumption that this is due to the PRO cpu. Me too, as AMD explicitely states on their website that standby is disabled by default on PRO cpus for security features.
However, other users confirmed that on other motherboards standby is working well, also with Renoir PRO cpus.

I had the chance to get a NON-PRO Renoir 4300GE. So i checked out this thesis with an interesting (and depressing!) result: S3 does still NOT work (is unavailable, see screenshot below:

Conclusion: The unavailable standby has nothing to do with the PRO cpus, but with Renoir in general!

Therefore, I'm really angry: with respect, ASRock gives a f*** about their customers!!! Non working standby on renoir still not fixed, not even on X300 (which officially supports Renoir). Ridiculous how such basic feature is "not available"!!!
PS: Coil-whine - also never fixed!
PPS: Some users would call it scam that they sell the X300 which is basically the same as the A300 (mainboard with sticker).

--> If there was an alternative I would never buy a Deskmini again. Unfortunately, there is none real...
Which BIOS version did you test?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26442

a300 3.60R/S and x300 1.60.
as I said, it doesnt matter. ASRock did not fix it and I bet they never will 😤🤬

Reactions: ratundtat

g_l

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021

Thanks for that. Yep unacceptable, ASrock should implement S3 in the next BIOS. Maybe they can't due to some motherboard hardware issue they can't fix in software, but then they should have fixed that for X300 at least (although it's probably the same board right?). Let's hope it's a BIOS issue they can fix, we need to put pressure on them to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
I´m confused. I seen Firmware 1.60 for X300. That is on Asrock website available, too. I hate, there are no changelog. I think... it is for support Ryzen 5xxx, because AGESA version. I dunno. So I view the supported CPU list. There is 4750G ! <-? I read often, if you take 4750G (TCP 65W), do you have to buy a power supply with more just only 120W, because no booting. So why it is listed? And why there are no 5xxx CPUs in the list... WTF is Asrock doing?

Reactions: pappl

g_l

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
great mod with that 120 mm slim noctua fan! mine has a 92 mm noctua with 25 mm thickness. i wonder which one is better for cpu cooling (when ram/vrm temps don't matter).
Hmm, my guess is for the CPU they're about the same. I had their 90mm 15mm version originally (it comes with the NH-L9a heatsink), so yours should be a bit more powerful, the 120mm probably pushed a bit more air but is also 15mm so probably a wash?

I´m confused. I seen Firmware 1.60 for X300. That is on Asrock website available, too. I hate, there are no changelog. I think... it is for support Ryzen 5xxx, because AGESA version. I dunno. So I view the supported CPU list. There is 4750G ! <-? I read often, if you take 4750G (TCP 65W), do you have to buy a power supply with more just only 120W, because no booting. So why it is listed? And why there are no 5xxx CPUs in the list... WTF is Asrock doing?

yeah they really do need changelogs. The big thing about the AGESA update is that it fixes USB disconnection issues (hard drives dropping, even mice and keyboards from what I read). There might be other fixes in there, but the unofficial 1.58 BIOS is said to be quite similar (was probably the beta of 1.60).

I don't know if the USB issues were common on the DeskMini's, but I did see them on my x570 desktop (USB3.0 hard drives randomly disconnecting). The issue apparently was that the PCIe bus and USB bus were getting flooded with traffic, which caused the USB controller to reset. But apparently that was worse on PCIe Gen4, I don't know if DeskMini's were affected much?

I'm running the 47050G, I think that was supported from the start with the X300. It works fine on the 120W brick with a full multi-core CPU load, but I haven't tested including full GPU load as I don't use it for gaming. But the package power is limited to 65W total either way, so adding GPU load probably doesn't make a lot of different.

I found the package power can't really be defeated for longer loads. It will spike higher for short periods, but eventually the 65W limit kicks in. Even if you enable PBS, then the EDC limit (95A) kicks in, and also the APU STAPM (65W) which seems to be the total socket power draw, including CPU, GPU, IO etc. You can slow down the APU STAPM limit a lot in BIOS, but then you hit EDC, and (at least with a multi-core load) temperature limits your clocks anyway.

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Look what just arrived from Taobao.....

Looks Like Same configuration of Power rail. I have to admit, my first thought was wtf ist this, but it's TM-edition.

3 VRMs for CPU,
1 VRM for SoC
1 VRM for APU
- or what the configuration of A/X300 was...

I have my doubts.
Wish you good luck and exited about your feedback.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/mainboard-vrm-guide.1158162/ -- VRM Guide in German (sorry)

I think we speak about 3 phases per VRM. -> about 117/120W should be max.

Phases feed VRM, VRM feeds the targeted section. CpU/SoC/APU.

You see around one coil 3 flat ICs? - those are them. ( As of my understanding ) - MOSFETs, Phase-Generation-Units. Which should not like temps over 105°C (mostly, comes to quality, manufacturer, materials used)

But you'll find one in English for sure!
My bet is - they still have changed nothing on the core of the Mainboard. Expansions and Port are just some traces, resistors, condensators and (opti)couples required, main layout should be the same ;)

It was never considered to be somehow "other" than what's already known ;) pro or non pro - why you still haven't got it / understand I have no idea. Sometimes people need to burn their hand on stoven to understand by themselves.

The most sadly thing about it - they will still ignore you due to their non-understanding.
Even if you present sources, show drivers in UEFI for S3 - which are buggy.... However. Breathe your fresh air, which is I guess fresher than mine :D

"Pro" could be a point, but if you use your homo sapiens brain, and think 2 steps further, then it's such a "weak" point, that the brain should say - "no, it somewhere else"

PRO is AMD equivalent to management engine from Intel. You can remotely access BIOS for e.g.... but yes, stoven, air.. Me better calm :D

as AMD explicitely states on their website that standby is disabled by default on PRO cpus for security features.
Please Sources. After all, me could be also wrong(!)

Pro should make like life of mine (e.g. sysadmin) easier by not running to customer in corona time and select another boot devices, or disable x... AMD writes up on it. There are change log for AGESA, where "S3 functionality restored" or something like "S3 inconsistency fxed" (posted it here, search for me, there will be a link to full AGESA changelog) - it said in change log. But who is it for, only stupid are reading, we do stoven and air. It's faster and credible

It's what I see how people behave, so take it with a grain of humour. You cannot change it anyways :D

Take my apologies for not staying professional or neutral at least. But how resistant can someone be - I'm speechless. Ban me or give me cool down time, I don't mind :D

According to Kant, enlightenment is "the exit of man from his self-inflicted immaturity" (where he understands immaturity as "the inability to use one's intellect without the guidance of another"), i.e. the development to a mature personality, at the same time he declared "sapere aude" ("dare to be wise!") to be the motto of enlightenment.

In the following paragraph, Kant explains why a large part of people, although they have long since grown up and would be capable of thinking for themselves, remain immature throughout their lives and even like to be so. The reason for this is "laziness and cowardice". Because it is comfortable to be immature.

Dear deleted User, the Kant quote is not against you or someone here. It's just should be mentioned. It's just to show how (according to Kant) homo sapiens like to act.

Last edited:

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
I did install Firmware 1.60 for X300, now. What I have to check in the UEFI (i hate it that it is called BIOS).
In my case: RAM OC 3400MHz + UMA 4GB. [FAN! <- forgotten, I use atm silence mode now] I hope i have nothing forgotten, but I am not a developer, but the lots of new firmware releases without changelog... makes me more and more angry. Perhaps is USB better now... I will see ... my actual problem (Firmware 1.58) with USB is/was... if my OS is running... in 1-3days... i dont know... I can plugin a USB stick and .... nothing. First after reboot it would direct initialised.

Last edited:
Reactions: gustav

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
for 9 hours i had install firmware 1.60 on X300 with Linux Arch. i was lil bit sleeping, too. In this time with same hardware settings, i had TWO automatically reboots in-game as like is push the reset-button. WTF
Correction: I did plug-in my USB3-Hub (empty) via USB-C <--- now unplugged. I will write again, if happens next auto-reboot. Perhaps to less power supply energy or incompatiblity... i dunno.

additional after 8h. as i unplugged my USB3 Hub. no more auto reset. Now I ask me, it is a UEFI, OS or power supply problem?

edit #3: now, automatically reboot again, without plugged USB3-Hub. Could someone check the UEFI Firmware 1.60 and reproducing/verify same issues, too? I will downgrade 1.58 later again.

edit #4: downgrade complete and emailed to asrock <-- perhaps i get an info. now, i hope that auto-reset is ended.

edit #5: atm no probs with 1.58. works until now (stable)

edit #6: "" I can just want repeat edit #5, with downgrade my system works stable again. (perhaps 1.60 don´t like RAM OC or is hating Linux? I don´t know, not tested!)

Last edited:

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
for 9 hours i had install firmware 1.60 on X300. i was lil bit sleeping, too. In this time with same hardware settings, i had TWO automatically reboots in-game as like is push the reset-button. WTF
Correction: I did plug-in my USB3-Hub (empty) via USB-C <--- now unplugged. I will write again, if happens next auto-reboot. Perhaps to less power supply energy or incompatiblity... i dunno.

additional after 8h. as i unplugged my USB3 Hub. no more auto reset. Now I ask me, it is a UEFI, OS or power supply problem?

edit #3: now, automatically reboot again, without plugged USB3-Hub. Could someone check the UEFI Firmware 1.60 and reproducing/verify same issues, too? I will downgrade 1.58 later again.

edit #4: downgrade complete and emailed to asrock <-- perhaps i get an info. now, i hope that auto-reset is ended.
I've been using X300 bios 1.60 on A300 for a while and have no reboots.
I still have USB glitches (audio drops from USB sound card) :(

Which CPU are you using?

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
I've been using X300 bios 1.60 on A300 for a while and have no reboots.
I still have USB glitches (audio drops from USB sound card) :(

Which CPU are you using?
4650G Pro

What USB sound card are you using? and why? no cable? or are existing better USB sound cards as onboard chip? (Trouble with USB Sound card with X300 with firmware 1.58 or just with 1.60?) I have one for just 5 Euro, but it is in a raspberry pi and I´m not interest in test it with Deskmini, because my sound is ok and I do not know some super special deluxe usb sound cards.

Last edited:

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
for 9 hours i had install firmware 1.60 on X300 with Linux Arch. i was lil bit sleeping, too. In this time with same hardware settings, i had TWO automatically reboots in-game as like is push the reset-button. WTF

edit #5: atm no probs with 1.58. works until now (stable)

edit #6: "" I can just want repeat edit #5, with downgrade my system works stable again. (perhaps 1.60 don´t like RAM OC or is hating Linux? I don´t know, not tested!)
What does dmesg reporting? Are there any enteries grepping for usb!?