Prototype Lazer3D LZX-Series (CNC, Triple Slot, M-ATX)

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
I have been thinking about the LZX-8 quite a bit since reading this thread last week, i think its a big improvement over the previous model and love the CNC corners and increased GPU compatibility. Will definitely pick one up when they are available.

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Here are some photos of the latest LZX-8 prototype, the vent patterns and vinyl layer designs aren't necessarily final, your feedback is welcomed!

Similar to the LZ7, these new cases will have the option to be fully customisable with different materials, colours and vent design and I/O choices.

The full front panel vents are optional, it should be possible to have a fan mount panel instead of the storage panel for fitting an extra 140mm slim (15mm thick) fan, as long as your motherboard doesn't have any overhanging components along the front edge:

Example of the layered carbon fiber effect, and how it can be used in combination with windowed panels for showcasing just your GPU or RGB case fan for example:

All white version of the case, again the full front vents are optional:

Storage panel can fit 2x full thickness 2.5" storage drives. There is also mounting holes for a single 3.5" storage drive, but with reduced compatibility elsewhere in the case:

Room for a 2.5 slot 200mm long GPU:

Clearance for a 140mm x 150mm x 25mm case system fan:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Do you think it's worth increasing the depth of the LZX-8 by 2mm in order to fit this card:

Reactions: chewie13

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
Possibly, but then where does it stop if there's another for 205mm, 210mm etc. I honestly do expect sub-200mm 3060Ti models at some point.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Possibly, but then where does it stop if there's another for 205mm, 210mm etc. I honestly do expect sub-200mm 3060Ti models at some point.

Yes exactly, where do you stop.

But then at the same time I am personally skeptical about true ITX length 3060Ti cards as their TDP is 200w. Gigabyte did a GTX 1080 ITX model a few years back, but it ran very hot and that was only 180w TDP.

It's difficult to cool more than 150w with a single fan in less than 170mm of dual slot heatsink, I think this is why EVGA opted for a triple slot ITX card for their RTX 2060 models even though it's TDP is 160w.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Here are some photos of the latest LZX-8 prototype, the vent patterns and vinyl layer designs aren't necessarily final, your feedback is welcomed!

I think it looks really great. Vent patterns looks nice, and there is nice symmetry everywhere, also for fan holes, etc. Don't change anything! ;)

I also like that you use the "cubes" to connect the back part of the case. Particularly the back panel did bulge a little to the top right (seen from behind), due to the weight of the PSU, since there was no support there. But now you have a cube that holds those to pieces together, avoiding that little problem.

However, one could also argue that not using CNC corner pieces for the back corners of the case removes a bit of the "LZ-feel". They might add to a more solid feeling/structure of the case as well? But I guess they cost more and take a bit extra space. And if you use them I hope the support cube for the connecting pieces on the back panel stays.

I like clean IO, so I would probably go for just a vandal switch, or perhaps an option of vandal switch and a single USB-C port if possible. There are some very simple PCB:s on some Taobao cases for USB-ports, although I don't know the quality.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I also like that you use the "cubes" to connect the back part of the case. Particularly the back panel did bulge a little to the top right (seen from behind), due to the weight of the PSU, since there was no support there. But now you have a cube that holds those to pieces together, avoiding that little problem.

Yes that area of the case has always been the trickiest part to find a good solution for, I think this new method of securing the GPU on the rear is a much simpler, yet secure method all round. The corner cubes are also very rigid and the case actually feels even more rigid compared to the LZ7 corners.

However, one could also argue that not using CNC corner pieces for the back corners of the case removes a bit of the "LZ-feel". They might add to a more solid feeling/structure of the case as well? But I guess they cost more and take a bit extra space. And if you use them I hope the support cube for the connecting pieces on the back panel stays.

Yes I know what you mean, I tried to offset this by adding the "chamfered tabs" on the side panels to keep some of the "LZ-Feel".

One of the main criticisms of the LZ7 is it's price, so I wanted to try and bring the price down as much as possible for this next generation. Even though the Machined CNC corners are a slightly lower cost per corner than the LZ7 SLS 3D printed corners, having 4 of them per case is still a significant cost per case. Changing the design to only require 2 of these corners I think retains the original style but meaningfully reduces the manufacturing cost.

Maybe at some point I can do "deluxe version" of the case with 4 machined corners for a higher price, but my priority is to take onboard the feedback received over the past 3 years of which 90% is usually regarding the price.

Using only 2 corners will allow the base model to be priced around £117 ex VAT, which I hope will help to address the communities feedback regarding price.

I like clean IO, so I would probably go for just a vandal switch, or perhaps an option of vandal switch and a single USB-C port if possible. There are some very simple PCB:s on some Taobao cases for USB-ports, although I don't know the quality.

Thanks, I will look into them. For launch however I am going to concentrate my efforts on just 1 style of optional I/O, but maybe down the line more options can be added.

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
Sorry if i’ve missed it but does the LZX-8 come with 92/120/140 AIO support “out of the box” or is it more of a DIY thing?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Sorry if i’ve missed it but does the LZX-8 come with 92/120/140 AIO support “out of the box” or is it more of a DIY thing?
There isn't any room for the LZX-8 to mount an AIO, but with the combination of the Noctua NH-L12S and a 140mm case fan supplying it with direct cool air, this combo will perform better than a 92mm AIO, and in some cases I've even seen it keep up with a Corsair 120mm AIO.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Yes that area of the case has always been the trickiest part to find a good solution for, I think this new method of securing the GPU on the rear is a much simpler, yet secure method all round. The corner cubes are also very rigid and the case actually feels even more rigid compared to the LZ7 corners.

I guess there is also the alternative to have the back panel a solid connected piece, and leave a smaller opening for the GPU bracket to slide into, and then perhaps an additional securing plate on top of that, which would then not be flush with the back panel. Not sure how it would compare against the current solution you show. I don't think I would have a problem with either one.

Using only 2 corners will allow the base model to be priced around £117 ex VAT, which I hope will help to address the communities feedback regarding price.

Yeah, the price question always pops up. Personally I was okay with the price since the case is so unique. But if people can get the CNC corners instead, for same price, or slighly reduced, I guess more people would go for it. Metal tends to rank higher than plastic/acrylic in many people's minds. Further removing 2 CNC corners to reduce it to £117 seems like a compelling offer, but worth pondering over regarding any loss of "LZ-Feel".

Thanks, I will look into them. For launch however I am going to concentrate my efforts on just 1 style of optional I/O, but maybe down the line more options can be added.

Here is a USB-A port on a small PCB that removed from one of my Taobao cases. I figure there would be a similar one for USB-C.

In the past I saw a special right side panel made to attach the radiator on the outside of the panel, with the fan on the inside. I think this would still work. Although you would have to get the panel made somewhere. Perhaps a special order from @K888D?

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Overall, the new line looks amazing but this just takes to a different level:

It goes from a very good looking computer case to... furniture. Which is good, as it looks classy and up-market.

gab886

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 9, 2020
Yes exactly, where do you stop.

But then at the same time I am personally skeptical about true ITX length 3060Ti cards as their TDP is 200w. Gigabyte did a GTX 1080 ITX model a few years back, but it ran very hot and that was only 180w TDP.

It's difficult to cool more than 150w with a single fan in less than 170mm of dual slot heatsink, I think this is why EVGA opted for a triple slot ITX card for their RTX 2060 models even though it's TDP is 160w.

I agree with you but if it doesn't create problems I would still evaluate an increase of 5mm.

P.S. I'm choosing my next case and I'm happy to wait a couple of months for order this LZX-8 :)

jpetso

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 17, 2021
Hi @K888D, I just signed up on the forum to post on this thread. The designs so far look great and I'm pretty sure I'll get one of your cases later this year. Haven't built my own system so far, so keep in mind this is an SFF noob posting here, but I'm trying to make up for it with good research.

I wanted to comment on the orientation of the devices in particular and point out the unique selling point specifically for the LZ7 XTD. Namely, having gone through the rather extensive SFF case list, it seems to me that the LZ7 XTD is one of the very few devices that target full-size graphics cards in a horizontal shoebox format, rather than vertical tower or console style. In that subcategory, it's by far the smallest, definitely the thinnest (lowest) and fits not just one, but both of my potential use cases really well.

The reason I'm mentioning this specifically is because you state for the LXZ-12,
This prototype shows an ATX PSU fitted hence why the power cord has to be routed under the case to make room.
and the feet are mounted in a way that makes it stand up like a tower. So what I see as the right-hand side, you regard as the bottom. Obviously the case is flexible in whether it can stand upright or lie flat, I'm just hoping that the flat use case remains a first-class consideration. To provide some insight, I took some pictures of where I hope to put one or two future SFF cases in the future:

The idea being to replace the PS3. Between bottom glass and top metal bar, there are 19 cm of vertical space and about 4.5 cm extra between the bars / below the glass at the top. So as long as I can fit a case with less than 19 cm height, airflow at both top and bottom is probably okay. Ideal depth is about 30 cm, but could conceivably go past 40 cm too. It's hard to find an SFF case with less than 20 cm height, or even tower-style width, unless you go console-style with both motherboard and GPU lying flat. But the LZ7 XTD both fits the height and, compared to console-style cases, minimizes the footprint as well with apparently better airflow.

This is where your case really shines, because it's limited in all three dimensions. That's right, I fully intend to take this beautiful case and stick it in a barely noticeable knee-height shelf space. Sorry. But there's not a lot of space in and around this "SFF" bedroom corner desk. Judging by cases everywhere, it seems everyone and their dog has tons of open-air desk space and SFF just means small footprint. That's not the case here, my desk itself is tiny and the shelves, while height-adjustable, also require extra space for books and folders and all that jazz. Given that the LZ7 XTD proves the viability of a full-featured, well-ventilated case in this kind of space, this is the space budget that my new PC is going to get. Dimensions for the shelf box are 29w x 44d x 22h cm, open to airflow on both sides of the shelf.

You see how other cases have a hard time fitting, yours is perfect and comfortably fits a few more centimetres in each direction, too. A slight drawback for the second one in particular is that if I want the mobo to turn to the back, the power buttons are on the right... behind the shelf. But one could conceivably reach through the shelf, it's not a dealbreaker.

I fully assume that the LZX-12 dimensions will fit as well, because you're mostly just going for more GPU height, meaning horizontal-layout width (or depth, depending). So my post is really just about three things:

1. I'm excited about the new designs, the carbon-style print rocks.
  2. Please make it work just as well for horizontal users and consider your unique positioning in the market.
  3. The LZX-15 I/O is on the GPU side. That's the opposite side compared to the LZ7 XTD and would be optimal for my (desk) shelf. Any chance of making the I/O side customizable (left or right) also on the LZX-12? I guess one could flip it upside down, but then I might lose the extra top panel air intake.
Thanks for working on these cases & take care!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hey @jpetso welcome to the forum, and thank you for such a detailed post, your thoughts are very much appreciated!

I can see what you're saying with your space constraints why a cube style case is a good match for your setup. The LZX-8 will measure (D)215mm x (W)245mm x (H)160mm (8.4 Litres) - not including feet.

To address your main concern, yes placing the case flat on it's base (upright GPU) will be the primary orientation focus, laying the case on it's side will also be possible with feet mounting points on the side panels to address the growing trend of more vertical focused lower footprint cases.

Regarding the I/O placement, good spot lol, the plan is to make the I/O positioning interchangeable between the left and right side of the case, with the caveat of if you move the I/O to the GPU side you will reduce the GPU length clearance by 30mm.

Thank you and I hope that helps answer your concerns/questions!

Reactions: jpetso

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hey everyone,

We're getting closer to launching the LZX-8 and I'm excited to show you the first draft of the User Manual (linked below), please take a look and let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions to improve it and I'll do my best to get them included. I'm hoping to send it off for printing in about a weeks time ready for launch in a few weeks time:

LZX-8 USER MANUAL

jpetso

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 17, 2021
I'm excited to show you the first draft of the User Manual (linked below), please take a look and let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions to improve it and I'll do my best to get them included.
Looks great! Just some minor thoughts:

p2:
- typo: "Campatible" (SFX-L)
- Since you mention "not including feet", it would be nice to have feet height listed too (perhaps in parentheses)

p9:
- re: "Side panels also need to be switched to opposite sides if using the optional I/O". I find this a little confusing, because the fan-guard side panel can't just be switched with the GPU side panel even if the former contains the I/O cutout, no? Wouldn't that impact the airflow in a significant way? Wouldn't you need an entirely different pair of side panels with cutouts switched, but airflow holes staying the same? At least that's what the "Flipped I/O Panel with 3.5" drive" illustration suggests, but that seems incompatible with the note on p9. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is of course entirely possible (likely, even).