Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Yeah, I may do a "dry run" in something like a KL06 and transfer over to the Cerberus since nearly all the parts except the PSU can be re-used.

Not ideal since it isn't really the drastic shrink from a Define R4 that I want and it's an extra part I have to end up selling, but a lot of parts on my list are finally entering reasonable price ranges but may not stay there for long.

Reactions: jeshikat

Winebaths

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2015
So... I just picked up a Zotac AMP! Gtx 1080 and unfortunately it doesn't fit in my Air 240 :(

Been waiting for this case for a while and just wanted to know if larger cards like that would be supported, if it will i won't bother buying a new case and just run my pc without the side window for a while :p

The problem i ran with was the depth of the card. compared to the founders/reference editions it comes out about an inch. Will Cerberus support gpus like this?

You can see what i'm talking about here:

Shrike99

What's an ITX?
Sep 15, 2016
So... I just picked up a Zotac AMP! Gtx 1080 and unfortunately it doesn't fit in my Air 240 :(
Will Cerberus support gpus like this?

From what i've read about the gpu size restrictions on cerberus, it should just squeeze in. Aparantly the width of the zotac is 148mm, and cerberus has room for 150mm, though i'll let someone more knowledgeable correct me if that isnt the case

Oh and hi everyone, just stumbled on to cerberus a few days ago while looking for decent mATX cases, and i'm thoroughly enchanted with it.

Like everyone else, can't wait for news on the upcoming pre-order

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The problem i ran with was the depth of the card. compared to the founders/reference editions it comes out about an inch. Will Cerberus support gpus like this?

The card itself should fit, though the corner of the PCB may interfere with the frame since it extends all the way to the rear.

The biggest issue with that particular card is the power connectors, since they are not inset the card won't work in Cerberus because you won't be able to plug in the PCIe power connectors.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I may design one like that for fun. It's why I did the standoffs the way I did, so I could test a GPU-less build with the Noctua L9x65 heatsink for quieter operation.
I'd like to join in on that "fun" when you get around to it, I'd love to have an mSTX build or two.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sure. Though one thing I'd like to do with that potential case is experiment with a more premium design, so maybe machined aluminum instead of the more utilitarian design of STX160.0 or even Cerberus.

Would you still want something that fits in the ATX PSU form factor or just a small Mini-STX case with room for a taller heatsink and in internal power supply?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Sure. Though one thing I'd like to do with that potential case is experiment with a more premium design, so maybe machined aluminum instead of the more utilitarian design of STX160.0 or even Cerberus.

Would you still want something that fits in the ATX PSU form factor or just a small Mini-STX case with room for a taller heatsink and in internal power supply?
You've read my mind ! Although it could just as well be powdercoated steel for a premium finish, but I'd guess that would be more expensive for a small and possibly simple design like this ?

On your next question: why not both ? It could very well be a nice mini-STX case with an internal PSU, that happens to be the size of an ATX PSU :) You know, for those times when you can't decide how many CPUs you want in your PC.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
but I'd guess that would be more expensive for a small and possibly simple design like this ?

For a really small run whether the case is powder coated or anodized isn't a big deal, it'll be expensive either way :p

why not both ?

Having to fit inside the ATX form factor really constrains the design, in particular the mounting ears on the HDPLEX AC-DC unit have to be bent in for it to fit. It works but that's not something I'd want to require for a more premium design. 2.5" drive support is another issue, though I'm not sure if I'd want to leave room for those anyway.

Commissariat

Caliper Novice
Jun 20, 2015
Having to fit inside the ATX form factor really constrains the design, in particular the mounting ears on the HDPLEX AC-DC unit have to be bent in for it to fit. It works but that's not something I'd want to require for a more premium design. 2.5" drive support is another issue, though I'm not sure if I'd want to leave room for those anyway.

What if the case was made for the NUC form factor instead of mSTX (but still in the ATX power supply form factor)?

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
A box in a box, I like the idea :) Is there room to stick a Pi or even a USB Compute Stick in the ATX160? Then we could have a box in a box in a box :) All without having to get one of those HUGE ATX cases and stick the Cerberus in that :)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I thought about a Compute Stick but STX160.0 is so packed I'm not sure there will even be room for one of those.

Leinahtan

Efficiency Noob
Mar 2, 2016
Any idea if the EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 would fit inside at the back of the case mounted to the rear vents? I'm hoping to go with a D5 pump but it doesn't fit I'll probably just settle with a DDC one. Thanks!

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The mounting holes don't quite line up with the vent pattern so it'll require some drilling there.

Also, there won't be tubing cutouts on the rear SFX plate so you'll need to cut those out as well if you want to mount the res externally. If you want to mount it internally I can check later.

Reactions: Leinahtan

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
For a potential build for when I have the funds, how many 240mm radiators would I be able to fit in this marvelous case? I am liquid cooling two graphics cards, as well as the CPU. Also, by looking at the space remaining after an ATX PSU is installed, it seems as if you can fit a reservoir. Do you think I could?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
At most two 240mm rads (one on the bottom and one on the front with a rear-mounted PSU) and even then it's a tight fit.

A reservoir may fit on the front end of the side bracket with an ATX PSU if the power supply isn't real long.