DAN A4-SFX v4.1

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
As the Alpenföhn Black Ridge is back in the shelfs with a fixed version (they have changed the soldering issues and the colour is now more black-nickel then the first launched matte-black I preferred) anyways:
Before I am going to test the V2 I’m going to present you my results and content I’ve done with a well working V1 that was not effected with the bad batch. Here is the VLP + 120mm fan option with a Z390 Board by MSI to confirm the compatibility. It’s just a showcase and information about VLP RAM in general...tests are going to follow soon! In german tho! :D The Temps & Benchmarks will be international. Cheers

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Why have you put the noctua fan on this way? It looks like it'll blow air on the motherboard / inside the case and not outside.

Reactions: GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Why have you put the noctua fan on this way? It looks like it'll blow air on the motherboard / inside the case and not outside.

Thats my recommendation. The original 92mm fan thats mounted with the Black Ridge blows the air out which makes no sence for me...especially in super tiny cases like the Dan A4 or FX 4.7L the board is so near on all sides to the case corners, its easy to escape for the hot air and with that you can suck in cold air to cool down the coolers heatsink, RAM, SMDs and the boards heatsinks around.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Argh - once again as I'm looking to buy one it's not available, as usual :(

Are there going to be more V3s made, or will anything be V4 from now on? Don't like the USB-C in front...

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
Tried the new ADT riser today on my A4, and had difficulty making sense of it. If I route the riser on the GPU side, it will put pressure on the GPU, and push it towards the sidepanel. And if I route it behind the motherboard, it puts so strong pressure against the motherboad panel that the panel deforms. I am a bit worried if this ADT riser gets shipped by default with the v4 revision.

Anyone else having a similiar experience with the ADT riser? I went back to the original 3M riser that seems to work best.

I'm using it on my V3 with no issue at all.
It just screws in, runs behind the GPU (EVG GTX1080Ti FTW3 so it has a backplate) an fits the PCI-E like a charm.

The space between the motherboard plate and the GPU is limited to the cable might push the GPU slightly but not in such a way you'll have tension on it.

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
Maybe he has a massive backplate that uses all of the space afforded by the ATX specification?

Also backside M.2 SSD, though a single SSD setup (assuming it doesn't have to clear some tall packages) should be safe, even with thicker cables.

btsfreak

Cable Smoosher
Apr 1, 2019
VLP ram (18-19mm). Here are some kits that will work on any board:

ADATA ADAX266638G19-BP 8GB PC-2666
KVR26N19S8L/8BK 8GB PC-2666
KVR24N17S8L/8BK 8GB PC-2400

DATARAM DVM24E2T8V/16G 16GB PC-2400
Crucial CT16G4XFD8266 16GB PC-2666
Micron MTA18ADF2G72AZ 16GB PC2133-PC3200

VLP doesnt seem to be VLP. Some VLPs are 31-32mm and some are "low profile VLP", meaning 18-19mm. Esp. the 16GB modules quoted here will not work with a 120mm on Blackridge as far as I know.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Reactions: fabio

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
VLP doesnt seem to be VLP. Some VLPs are 31-32mm and some are "low profile VLP", meaning 18-19mm. Esp. the 16GB modules quoted here will not work with a 120mm on Blackridge as far as I know.

VLP is always VLP = Very Low Profile but some manufacturers use a different terminology and call it ULP = Ultra Low Profile. So when you’re doing your research use both acronyms. Cheers

hsolo505

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
@dondan Is the ADT riser compatible with A4-SFX v2? It seems more streamlined and less bulky than the 3M version.

Was also wondering if mounting the Black Ridge cooler with 120mm slim fan (i have VLP RAM) would interfere 3M/ADT riser clearance.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
For anybody interested in my temperature results and expected noise level of the Black Ridge running a 92mm fan to keep the i7-8700K @5.0GHz nice and comfy, feel free to skip directly to 14:36 to see my results! ;)
By the way: for my testing I've let the system for 30 min. in idle and then run 5x Cinebench R15 directly in a row with one IntelBurnTest run to validate general stability of the system and get the same amount of peak load through the two setups!
Prime95 is stable but will throttle at 5.0GHz and AVX loads...thats why I didn't bother!

PingNYC

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2019
For anybody interested in my temperature results and expected noise level of the Black Ridge running a 92mm fan to keep the i7-8700K @5.0GHz nice and comfy, feel free to skip directly to 14:36 to see my results! ;)
By the way: for my testing I've let the system for 30 min. in idle and then run 5x Cinebench R15 directly in a row with one IntelBurnTest run to validate general stability of the system and get the same amount of peak load through the two setups!
Prime95 is stable but will throttle at 5.0GHz and AVX loads...thats why I didn't bother!

If I try to order one today, how do I know if I'm getting v2 instead of v1?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If I try to order one today, how do I know if I'm getting v2 instead of v1?

The V1 was recalled, so I’m sure they won’t be sent out for any new orders.

As for visual differences, the new V2 has a shinier finish, although that may be difficult to see without a side by side comparison.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
the new V2 has a shinier finish, although that may be difficult to see without a side by side comparison.

Thats correct...jump into my video and even when you don’t get what I am saying in german, the V1 is a matte deep black. The V2 is a dark shinny nickel colour, I would call „silverish“...so it’s easy to see! :) Guess that’s the main reason for the colour change at all: Alpenföhn wanted to let the people see if they got a new one.

PingNYC

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2019
Thats correct...jump into my video and even when you don’t get what I am saying in german, the V1 is a matte deep black. The V2 is a dark shinny nickel colour, I would call „silverish“...so it’s easy to see! :) Guess that’s the main reason for the colour change at all: Alpenföhn wanted to let the people see if they got a new one.
Thank you. Although that means I won't be able to tell the difference until I receive the item. Any chance someone can point to a seller that you know is selling V2 and also ships to the US?