Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Update 2019-04-12: custom radiators for those that need 200W CPU at 75C

The custom radiator has anodized aluminum body, so it looks great.

The problem is the performance, and now I know why.

I will try and convince the factory to manually weld the fins to the tube on some prototypes. If the results are good, it could be special for looks and performance.

Last edited:

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Update 2019-04-12: custom radiators for those that need 200W CPU at 75C

The custom radiator has anodized aluminum body, so it looks great.

The problem is the performance, and now I know why.

I will try and convince the factory to manually weld the fins to the tube on some prototypes. If the results are good, it could be special for looks and performance.
@Wahaha, that is indeed the main issue you are facing.

To clarify, I work as a cooling engineer for Ford in Spain and we had an issue with an engine radiator of the Kuga model for that same reason, as the fins would move and that will create turbulence and 'air bubbles', severely affecting the overall performance.

Nonetheless, an easy way to address this on the manufacturing process is to wield manually on 3 to 4 points of the tube, or at the automate process, wield the outside with an specific wield paste and heat (which I do not think in that scale might be cost efficient at all)

Last edited:
Reactions: Raptor_N60

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Radiators with round tubes have been tried in the past, but they never perform as well as flat tube radiators. This image - which has been floating around watercooling forums for years - succinctly illustrates why:

The ratio of surface area to cross sectional area is significantly less on round tubes, meaning their thermal resistance will be higher for a given flow rate, or in other words, they perform worse.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Radiators with round tubes have been tried in the past, but they never perform as well as flat tube radiators. This image - which has been floating around watercooling forums for years - succinctly illustrates why:

The ratio of surface area to cross sectional area is significantly less on round tubes, meaning their thermal resistance will be higher for a given flow rate, or in other words, they perform worse.

Conversely though, flat tubes typically have an increased pressure requirement to meet the same flow rate, so it might be wise to evaluate the pressure head differences if you go a different cross section.

Reactions: Alur

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Conversely though, flat tubes typically have an increased pressure requirement to meet the same flow rate, so it might be wise to evaluate the pressure head differences if you go a different cross section.
True, but the radiators used in watercooling aren't very restrictive to begin with. The pumps typically used provide more than enough pressure to overcome it, and blocks are more restrictive anyway. Maximizing tube surface area is going to produce much more significant gains than any minor increase in flow rate round tubes might provide.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
True, but the radiators used in watercooling aren't very restrictive to begin with. The pumps typically used provide more than enough pressure to overcome it, and blocks are more restrictive anyway. Maximizing tube surface area is going to produce much more significant gains than any minor increase in flow rate round tubes might provide.

Absolutely, my comment was geared more towards if more restrictive tubes were being used with an AIO type pump/block like the tests run earlier in the thread. They aren't nearly as powerful as a DDC or other pumps designed for full coverage/GPU blocks and from what I've seen can be rather susceptible to cavitation at the impeller when return pressures get too low.

Reactions: She loved E

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
I missed the deadline in March to go production, for obvious reasons, prototype 2 testing and stuff. The next window for production is in June.

I'm hoping Prototype 2 will be good, then we can make it in June.
Awesome. Cannot wait to see this incredible little package finally released.
Forgive me but, do we have an ETA for Prototype 2?

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@tinyitx That was my thought as well. Barrowch recently released a similar product.
The advantage with the Barrowch version is the radiator tubes aren't round but flat like Necere pointed out.

BARROWCH Chameleon Fish
POM version (also known as acetal):
http://www.barrowch.com/index.php/article/1213.html
PMMA version (also known as acrylic):
http://www.barrowch.com/index.php/article/1214.html

Press release:http://www.barrowch.com/index.php/article/1218.html (2019/04/10)

This looks interesting, msging Barrow now to get one...lol

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Read the Chiphell thread below. The guy used an open bench to test some 120 (primarily) HanJiang/Barrow/EK rads for stock 9900K. The new Barrow rad was included.
Short conclusion:- not much difference (~2C) among them.

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1983878-1-1.html

I'm going for the BarrowCH Chameleon Fish Removable Radiator at 240mm.

I will cut some of the Anodized Aluminum Sides to make the radiator 25mm (fan mounting will be limited to one side), this will allow it to fit inside the case.

Last edited:

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
It would be dope if this case could be delivered by june or july, to match the ryzen release.

I guess it would be shipped from asia so it will be extra for taxes.

Keep up the good work :)

Reactions: Esso

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Quick questions: We still have LT240 support right? The custom radiator is only for people who want 75C?

Is the 315 max GPU length not including the PCIE bracket extrusion?

courts

Case Bender
Jan 5, 2019
Really interested in this case. Running a Ghost S1 at the moment and sadly I'm somewhat disappointed with the quality. Hopefully everything runs smooth with this, will definitely purchase if I can. Either way great design and good luck pal!

Reactions: fabio

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
Anyone know what page has the updated supported dimensions for hardware? I want to know if 125 PSU length is supported as I want the seasonic focus PSU which is a bit longer than the corsair.

Reactions: Beardedswede