News Intel launching 35W TDP 9th Gen CPUs Mid May

Just saw this story on Toms Hardware:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-refresh-t-series-cpus-specs,39076.html

And this one on Wccftech:

https://wccftech.com/intel-9th-gen-core-35w-cpus-8-core-16-thread-core-i9-9900t/

These look like they’ll be a good choice for anyone looking to build in very small chassis’s and still keep temperatures under control.

The range will include 10 CPUs ranging from Pentiums all the way to an i9 model. They will be designated with a T suffix.

Reactions: Lone

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I think this would be a good CPU for those limited to sub 50mm cooling.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Would've been nice if they'd released these a year ago. It's not like T model 35W chips are something new to their standard yearly release cycle. Yes, more cores/higher clocks are hard to get under constrained thermal envelopes, especially when you're stuck at the same node for half a decade. But what HAVE they been working on!?!
Ultimately it doesn't really matter as the T models won't be widely released to individual customers. 99% of them will be sold in bulk to box venders like Dell/HP/etc. The few of us dedicated to getting ahold of them for niche builds will be stuck overpaying at shady gray market outlets like Ebay, ShopBLT, etc.

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
The thing is that their prices are nearly of 9700k- 9900k and if compared then same 9900k can be clocked down and set a custom TDP limit. Thus makes me believe that T version cpus are just failures which failed to reach a higher frequency at a certain wattage , voltage. There's zero invention in these chips. I would say it would make it worthwhile to buy it over a normal K version if price difference was significant only. Now as price is nearly the same in SFF you just buy a normal k and trim its power, but you're always left with more chances to get a better undervolt at a higher frequency than T and can always transfer CPU to a bigger case and unleash its full power. K version is much more versatile

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
From what I understand, and I may be wrong, the T version of chips are binned for low voltage and leakage. It’s sort of the opposite of the 8086K being binned for Frequency.

I’ve had mixed luck with undervolting CPUs particularly K series. Your mileage may very.

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
So you believe T can run cooler at its max frequency than K? Would be interesting to see lets say K set in bios to same frequency and wattage , then compared...

Last edited:

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, it's not quite as simple as just dropping the voltage and turning down the base clock and wala, instant T part. But it's not impossible either. Otherwise these chips would've been released around the same time as the K parts. It took them this long to get yields acceptable enough to reliably produce enough chips to support both the higher frequency K parts, and low enough voltage T parts.
That said, I'm sure it's not that hard to get close to the same results with your average K chip, but now at least you have a good blueprint for about where you should clock and undervolt your K part to achieve similar results. Bonus, if you have the thermal, or silicon lottery headroom, you could still achieve better performance or lower wattage with a K chip, and you won't have to go hunting eBay for one of these.

Reactions: loader963

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
So anyone have any plans of using the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX/AC-DC to build something like a i3-9300T/1660ti into an S4M or similar case?