• Kimera Cerberus X (main PC)
  • Lazer3D LZ7 (second PC)
  • Apple PowerMac G5 case (NAS)
  • Akasa Tesla H (light server)
  • In-Win Chopin (rarely used)
Collecting dust:
  • Xigmatek Nebula C
  • Thermaltake G3
And recently I bought a Silverstone CS01-HS to replace the Apple PowerMac G5 and Akasa Tesla H as my new NAS/server.

Reactions: TheHig and Arboreal

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Currently storing:

• Chieftec Dragon DX01-SLD, in blue. This is the oldest and also biggest computer case I have right now, and I got it in 2002 for my first ever custom PC build, using some hand-me-down parts from a friend.
  • Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF. This case is just sitting inside the Dragon :D I once tried to do a build in it, modded it to fit a regular ITX mobo (just cutting out the proprietary I/O area in the back) and fit a SFX power supply.

Other than that I don't have much in the way of OEM cases.

I'm more into custom made cases anyway. Other than my two current test subject 3D printed cases of my custom design. I moved from a black case printed from MarkForged Onyx to a white plastic ABS case.

The other 3D printed parts are failed experiments, just a random assortment that may be able to lead up to something with clever DIY add-ons but are for now just pieces of plastic that need a lot of work to actually mount stuff inside of them.

And random sheets of acrylic and metal for unused cases that never got made or sold. lol I have more in the way of custom case projects.

Reactions: TheHig and Phuncz

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Perhaps I am of the minority here as I really do not have an addiction of hoarding cases. For my 30+ years of PC computing, I have never bought a case just for the sake of having it without actually using it for a build, except one instance. That exception is, after building a system with a Streacom BC1 bench table, I fell in love with it and bought another one for my next build. But then, I was bitten by a SFF bug and so I bought a BC1 Mini bench table (which is used in my main rig now) instead of using the BC1.
So far, there is only this brand new BC1 bench table in the storage.

Reactions: Phuncz

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Happy to provide some inspiration :p

I don't have quite the collection that some of y'all have, but I can slightly expland on those cases listed in my For Sale thread... In my possession (with some about to be sold):

Define Nano S
Project mATX #003
Ncase v5
Ghost S1 w/ tophats and grills
JP-Artisan Advent
Lone L3
Inwin Choppin
Minibox m350

Once I've sold off a few of these and my 1080ti, I'm planning on buying a Lone L5 to use as my daily, moving my system over, and then finally selling the rest :)

I am sure Dr Arboreal will tell you that this kind of planning is absolutely part of the symptom :D we have all been there...

Loving this thread all. :cool:
Like many here I very much enjoy trying different enclosures and with so much great work being done by creators here on the forum its easy to go down the rabbit hole.

Currently in use:

Cerberus X (2 of these) My daily driver and oldest Son's new rig
Riotoro CR280- Family PC ( my 6yo calls it his and really at this point it is. Minecraft is his game of choice)
Xigmatek Eris- Daughters PC

On the shelf:
Custom Mod Mini OG 3.2L - really like this case and with the pico 192w brick and 160xt makes a nice pc with a 1050ti and even soon 1650. However, I also learned that I really do not like external power supples.-- Ordered a 200w kit from @Thehack and may use it in the gpu side for an APU build.

Inwin BQ656- possible APU box if I decide to use a slim Blu-ray for the HTPC and use the JHack Psu kit here instead of the Custom Mod.

EVGA Hadron Air- just so fun to cram a sfx psu in there. Works great with Founders 9 and 10 series Nvidia Gpus this way if a bit loud under load. Built like a tank. Sadly collecting dust.

S4M (sold-- bittersweet but it was too nice to sit around and had to fund that WC loop right?!)

Wishlist:
Sliger SM550 to house the family PC or Daughters build? Was going to get this for my Son's but he chose the CerbX and frankly it turned out great -- Thanks @loader963 !

CCD MI6 because I really like it.-- If anyone is selling theirs PM me. :thumb:

Your cure seems to be coming along nicely. You have identified an overstock and are sorting out disposals.
I do like 'expland' by the way; explain and expand upon all at the same time!

Not much left on the shelf I'm pleased to see...

Hadron, should be fun to have in stock to tinker with, wanting a Sliger SM550 is quite understandable, as is the desire for the super small CCD MI6 to cram some kit into.

I will check in on you in 3 months to see how you are progressing.

I too, have sinned.

In use:
  • Kimera Cerberus X (main PC)
  • Lazer3D LZ7 (second PC)
  • Apple PowerMac G5 case (NAS)
  • Akasa Tesla H (light server)
  • In-Win Chopin (rarely used)
Collecting dust:
  • Xigmatek Nebula C
  • Thermaltake G3
And recently I bought a Silverstone CS01-HS to replace the Apple PowerMac G5 and Akasa Tesla H as my new NAS/server.

Not a lot to see here, good to see the (albeit lovely), G5 case being retired for something smaller
Thermaltake G3? Nice try at ATX SFF, but not quite
I won't need to see you for 3 months either

Currently storing:

• Chieftec Dragon DX01-SLD, in blue. This is the oldest and also biggest computer case I have right now, and I got it in 2002 for my first ever custom PC build, using some hand-me-down parts from a friend.
  • Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF. This case is just sitting inside the Dragon :D I once tried to do a build in it, modded it to fit a regular ITX mobo (just cutting out the proprietary I/O area in the back) and fit a SFX power supply.

Other than that I don't have much in the way of OEM cases.

I'm more into custom made cases anyway. Other than my two current test subject 3D printed cases of my custom design. I moved from a black case printed from MarkForged Onyx to a white plastic ABS case.

The other 3D printed parts are failed experiments, just a random assortment that may be able to lead up to something with clever DIY add-ons but are for now just pieces of plastic that need a lot of work to actually mount stuff inside of them.

And random sheets of acrylic and metal for unused cases that never got made or sold. lol I have more in the way of custom case projects.

Not much squirreled away in cases form, but I'll allow that metal & acrylic so long as it doesn't get out of control. Keep the fine work with the custom 3D printed goodness. I saw my first SLA printer and output last week - it's amazing compared to the PLA prints that the same team did.

I has zero case, open air thin itx, 4x standoffs to keep the mobo above the shelf and momentary switch to turn it on XD.

Problem solved lol

Can we talk about arduinos and pen(cil)s .... Because my sin sure is strong there

M. Guille...you may need a different doctor, as your problems are not in my domain.
Zero case you say? That is taking things too far!

Dr A. PhD and Bar

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
Hi. My name is HZCH and my family pretends I'm a case hoarder. I know it's nothing compared to, say, xcrco, but I've been told by my therapist I had to get aboard this group.

So here I am. I've restarted to build my own PC in a Node 304 in 2011, and it was good. Then I decided I wanted something else :
- Fractal Design Node 304, still running my NAS
- Phantek Evolv mITX (gave it back to my brother, too large, too hot, still in the attic)
- Thermaltake Core V1 (too large, too flimsy, in the attic)
- Jonsbo W1 (like an overgrown Ncase M1, nice, in the attic)
- A random HP beige case from the WinME era (fairly compact mATX case, never could fit my Strix 980, so it went in the attic)
- Silverstone Raven RVZ01 (first version, too damaged after 20 rebuilds to fit my 1080ti in it, too hot, back in the attic)
- Fractal Design Define Mini C.
I've been broke for a long time, so this hobby really put me on the edge of bankruptcy at some point (hello, sexy second-hand GTX980 while I was looking for a job). Now is a good time, but I'm still feeling guilty to look for an upgrade.

Did I mention I've just bought a second-hand black Ncase M1 ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thermaltake G3? Nice try at ATX SFF, but not quite
It was my temp case when AMD Ryzen launched (no mITX board in sight) and Cerberus X wasn't done yet :)
It actually is an interesting case as it is a few mods away from being a 240-360mm radiator supporting case and with two "vertical" GPU mounts it would have been able to power some serious hardware.

Reactions: Nanook

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018

I'd never put them all together before until I was showing off my new SM560 to a friend of mine. From right to left,

- Asrock Deskmini A300 w/ Athlon 200GE
- InWin BQ656T currently empty waiting for the 3000 series soldered APUs
- Sliger SM560 w/ 2400G overclocked to 4.0 and passively cooled with a Big Shruiken 3 & Powercolor Red Devil 580
- Ncase M1 currently empty, the build in the SM560 will be transplanted into this when Ryzen 3000 CPUs and Navi come out.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Arise my comatose thread, 'Dr' A has returned for an annual update....

One of the unexpected side effects has been an incursion to the hoarding. SWMBO has been on the cleaning and rationalising things warpath this last month.

Case hoarding update:

* Evolv ITX taken by hand to London last year and donated to a Bit-Tech member. I certainly got some odd looks on the underground carrying a black 40L (ish) box in a bin bag!

* SG13 has been repurposed into a school work PC for my daughter. I swapped a thin ITX H110 board for an H170i DDR3(!) board to get that up and running.

* The custom Parvum Systems ITX case (front vent was Star Wars Empire logo) sold last week on the 'bay

* 'Too good to dump' Fujitsu mATX tower case now contains my new work PC [ i5 2400 to i5 4690 ]

All I have left in the attic are a Shuttle PC alu frame, which isn't really that useful TBH, and an HP mATX business PC case which should go to the tip when they are not madly busy. (Locally, the tip/dump, sorry 'Household Recycling Centre' re opened 4 days ago and they are packed with people getting rid of stuff they've tidied out).

Only one empty case remains, which is an old P-B Imedia mATX case that was 22L and has had the top section removed that held the PSU. It is now 17L and still in need of surgery to finish making a (very) poor man's approximation of a Cerberus.
The project, (such as it is), was in fact started before the (Nova) Cerberus came into existence - that's a lot of procrastination and lack of modding talent going on!

Two other items have to be declared, and those are a pair of HP 'pizza box' flat PCs that i bough locally last year on Gumtree for a good price.
One is i3 3rd gen (Ivy B) and the other is newer i3 4th gen (Haswell), both are annoyingly proprietary in their design, so will need to be sold on after some TLC.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Brothers and Sisters, the Doctor is seeking for he has slipped from the path of clearance and order. Please forgive me
It was all going so well...
The Ivy i3 sold on Gumtree as did the selection of motherboards, and then this happened.

I seem to have purchased 8 more mATX PCs for £20 / 22€ / $25 ?

Lockdown seems to have had an adverse effect in addition to the tidying instinct!

The good news is that 7 cases have gone to the tip, as they were dirty or dented.

This now leaves the following:
1x 11L slim C2D PC that has been refurbed with a better CPU, more RAM and Win 10
2x s775 motherboards with E5500 and 3GB RAM
2x s1156 motherboards with G6950, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD

Yesterday I sold the AM3 motherboard with Athlon X2 250, 3GB RAM and 320GB HDD. I have now covered my costs and I should make a profit saving these from

Reactions: rfarmer

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Humm... how did I miss this thread in the past?

My affliction is hoarding computing devices. My first real computer was a Xerox CPM machine in the early eighties. Over time many systems have come into my possession and some where in the past, I learned to dispose of the older tech, keeping only a few. This few is the foundation of my collection.

I have been hooked on Apple OS X for years and all of my current systems run macOS. I loan out and give away systems and sell off a few now and then.

I currently have twenty plus systems. Most are SFF and some are more interesting than others. An example is this system; https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...bs-prototype-mini-itx-case.10495/#post-140388

I am trying to cut back and build fewer systems. However I keep seeing something that needs to be done...

Neil

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Well, I can some report progress having sold the 11L slim PC over the weekend.

Wait, it looks like we have 2 new patients, let me see...

Humm... how did I miss this thread in the past?

My affliction is hoarding computing devices. My first real computer was a Xerox CPM machine in the early eighties. Over time many systems have come into my possession and some where in the past, I learned to dispose of the older tech, keeping only a few. This few is the foundation of my collection.

I have been hooked on Apple OS X for years and all of my current systems run macOS. I loan out and give away systems and sell off a few now and then.

I currently have twenty plus systems. Most are SFF and some are more interesting than others. An example is this system; https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/phase-1-neilhart’s-i9-9900k-air-cooled-abs-prototype-mini-itx-case.10495/#post-140388

I am trying to cut back and build fewer systems. However I keep seeing something that needs to be done...

Neil

Mr Hart, I'm honoured that you've graced these pages with your presence.

I very much admire your construction and design skills, and always like to see what you are creating. Not only are you creating fine and useful SFF systems, you are imbuing them with the power of Hackintosh; a very special and arcane skill that not may of us possess.

Your loaning and giving out policy is very philanthropic, and to be admired.

Amassing a collection is no bad thing, so long as it has some context and doesn't get (too) out of control.

I have been quietly collecting Nikon's Nikonos underwater cameras for the last 35 years, since my mid teens. I know have six of the little gems, and am looking for a couple more. Those have to meet specific criteria to fit with what I have and fill some gaps. That makes it increasingly hard to do, as the opportunities are reducing, as the earliest models are coming up 60 years old.

Please keep building and inspiring; I am still juggling a ~12L mATX idea in my head but not making any progress into the metal.

It may be time to just buy some sheet and get stuck in with my limited skills for taking from what's in my head to real items.

Thank you for passing by, and carry on

I don't even have a computer right now.

This is quite unexpected dear sir, I fear you have arrived at quite the wrong group.

I don't think I can help you in this instance, you have clearly taken the disposal of hoarded cases so far that you have been left without a single PC.

That is, a different and IMVHO rather more serious affliction which needs attending to quickly.

Do try two doors down on the left at the 'Bereft of PCs clinic'

Good Day and good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo