SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Heatpipes up towards the EPS/8 pin CPU power

In relation to your last question about power that riser needs auxilliary power as the m.2 slot will only deliver 7W of power, whereas PCI-Express devices are designed for 25W, with GPUs able to draw up to 75W.

As you concluded you'll need SATA spliiters and a SATA to MOLEX converter

Thanks a lot, I have to start over anyway with the cooler since my camera wasn't running very well during my first install attempt.

For the Sata dilemma I figured it out indeed and ordered sleeved 20cm Sata splitters for the hard-drives, a sata extension to MOLEX 4pin for the PCIE and modded the HDplex 4pin/4x sata cable a bit so they are bundled nicely and out of the way.

Thanks again!

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Hi guys,

I've done tons of searching and only found some small mentions of attaching the Skyreach 4 mini to a monitor vesa arm. I've seen Josh's video with the weighted monitor stand, but I'm looking for pictures to see how it would look on a standard vesa arm. Does anyone here have theirs set-up this way? I plan to build a skyreach this year, but am worried about it getting knocked over (toddler).

Thanks!

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Also, does anyone know if a Gigabyte RTX 2060 6 Gb mini will fit (length is fine but what about thickness?) and work with the standard 330w dell power brick and hdplex dc-dc?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aoq1

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Does anyone know where I can find ssd brackets or a similar product? I need to stack 2x2 ssd/hhd's, I have enough room above my GPU and skyreach HDD bracket but no decent way so far to stack the drives. I tested the Velcro trick yesterday but I didn't like it.

http://www.sliger.com/includes/products/ki/ssdkit.jpg Ordering at this company is out of the question as the shipping cost is double of the brackets itself.

Thanks!!

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
PSA: nfc skyreach has change to march to may 2019 availability. on the sfflab site.

though not entirely sure how reliable the source is, still have to ask josh directly is if that is in the works. have to wonder if there are any changes slight modifications on the case.

TheDrifter363

Efficiency Noob
Sep 26, 2018
Hey guys,

Thought I'd post here. I have a MSI RX 580 8G V1, and while it's a good performer, the stock fan can get pretty loud. I was trying to do that mod, where you would remove the fan and shroud and put the slim 92mm fans on the bottom. Problem is, the the stock fan appears to be recessed into the MSI heatsink. This resulted in no space for mounting the skybracket duo on the underside of the case. The skybracket duo would not fit, it was pretty upsetting. I don't think I've ever encountered a GPU heatsink like this before, where the heatsink is bigger than it first appears, since the fan is recessed into it. Any suggestions? Also, do other GPUs suffer similar issues with this modification, removing the fan and shroud and using the skybracket duo with slim 92mm fans? Thanks for the help!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is there anyone here doing a dual psu build?

I know someone who is working on a load balancing circuit, so that one can use two separate psu. Guaging interest to possibly create a small kit.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
Is there anyone here doing a dual psu build?

I cannot remember where I saw it, but someone is working on putting a 160 ac-dc->pico/dynamo and a 300w ac-dc->HDplex dc-atx into an S4M.
Something about 160w for cpu/mobo etc, dedicated 300w line for GPU(Vega Nano iirc).

I think I saw it on sffpc on reddit.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
did a web search, found $1799 entire system, & another case for $99 - local pickup only.

$99 case is for 400W power, HDPLEX AC-DC & DC-DC brickless build.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Sorry for not keeping up here--remember if you need to get ahold of me I'm just an email away. :)

PSA: nfc skyreach has change to march to may 2019 availability. on the sfflab site.

though not entirely sure how reliable the source is, still have to ask josh directly is if that is in the works. have to wonder if there are any changes slight modifications on the case.

There are slight modifications. Adding support for aftermarket panel attachment so you can lasercut your own panels and not have to drill and tap the frame. Also per customer request widening the c8 cutout to support c5 jacks. The big change is fixing the skyslot pattern to be VESA compatible again. There was an error with the die setup and it made all of us really sad. Could have been a really expensive fix, but it needed to be right.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post here. I have a MSI RX 580 8G V1, and while it's a good performer, the stock fan can get pretty loud. I was trying to do that mod, where you would remove the fan and shroud and put the slim 92mm fans on the bottom. Problem is, the the stock fan appears to be recessed into the MSI heatsink. This resulted in no space for mounting the skybracket duo on the underside of the case. The skybracket duo would not fit, it was pretty upsetting. I don't think I've ever encountered a GPU heatsink like this before, where the heatsink is bigger than it first appears, since the fan is recessed into it. Any suggestions? Also, do other GPUs suffer similar issues with this modification, removing the fan and shroud and using the skybracket duo with slim 92mm fans? Thanks for the help!

I think what you are describing is that the heatsink actually goes up to the shroud, so you can't install noctua slim fans over it. Many GPUs are like this, all the single fan GPUS I can think of right now off the top of my head actually.

The SkyBracket Duo was made per customer request...sorta. With the S4M-C users like @Reldey removed the shroud and fans from their Zotac cards and used zipties to attach them which in theory would apply more pressure to the heatsink than a single slim 120 fan as I proposed before. It was a good idea, so I incorporated it--however it is NOT a universally supported feature or anything. It's just a drive bracket that can allow you to use these fans in certain configurations. For YOUR gpu, the fins are parallel with the length of the GPU, not transverse, so you actually wouldn't want to use the Skybracket Duo for mounting two fans even if you could because they would fight each other for pressure.

So I would stick with your original fan, or if you really want to replace it with something else, remove it and cutout a fan from it's frame and attach it that way. Sorta like Untero from my Discord did with his GB card:

BTW a link to my discord:

https://discord.gg/Mz7CfD

Hi guys,

I've done tons of searching and only found some small mentions of attaching the Skyreach 4 mini to a monitor vesa arm. I've seen Josh's video with the weighted monitor stand, but I'm looking for pictures to see how it would look on a standard vesa arm. Does anyone here have theirs set-up this way? I plan to build a skyreach this year, but am worried about it getting knocked over (toddler).

Thanks!

The new revision of the S4M (going on sale soon) supports this. I don't have pictures except for something like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.21.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.21.09 PM.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sorry for not keeping up here--remember if you need to get ahold of me I'm just an email away. :)

There are slight modifications. Adding support for aftermarket panel attachment so you can lasercut your own panels and not have to drill and tap the frame. Also per customer request widening the c8 cutout to support c5 jacks. The big change is fixing the skyslot pattern to be VESA compatible again. There was an error with the die setup and it made all of us really sad. Could have been a really expensive fix, but it needed to be right.

I think what you are describing is that the heatsink actually goes up to the shroud, so you can't install noctua slim fans over it. Many GPUs are like this, all the single fan GPUS I can think of right now off the top of my head actually.

The SkyBracket Duo was made per customer request...sorta. With the S4M-C users like @Reldey removed the shroud and fans from their Zotac cards and used zipties to attach them which in theory would apply more pressure to the heatsink than a single slim 120 fan as I proposed before. It was a good idea, so I incorporated it--however it is NOT a universally supported feature or anything. It's just a drive bracket that can allow you to use these fans in certain configurations. For YOUR gpu, the fins are parallel with the length of the GPU, not transverse, so you actually wouldn't want to use the Skybracket Duo for mounting two fans even if you could because they would fight each other for pressure.

So I would stick with your original fan, or if you really want to replace it with something else, remove it and cutout a fan from it's frame and attach it that way. Sorta like Untero from my Discord did with his GB card:

BTW a link to my discord:

https://discord.gg/Mz7CfD

The new revision of the S4M (going on sale soon) supports this. I don't have pictures except for something like this:

Josh,

Can you provide the exact specifications for mounting the hdplex 400 ac-dc?

I need it for... Purposes.

TheDrifter363

Efficiency Noob
Sep 26, 2018

Thanks Josh for replying! I'm actually subscribed to your discord, I've watched a few of your videos on youtube. That makes sense, for what you said. I noticed kind of late that the heatsink on the rx 580 v1 goes up to the shroud so there wasn't enough room. I didn't know about the difference between transverse and parallel fins though, that's interesting. So if if you have parallel fins, stick with what the manufacturer has. Got it. I guess I could cut out a noctua fan out of its plastic frame, bit nervous about doing that. Maybe one day, as a project. Wish the fans were screwed into the frame, so it wouldn't be as difficult. If I do plan to remove the fan out of its frame, any suggestions for cutting tools? Dremel? I have no experience with a CNC or any cutting tool. I can so soldering.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh,

Can you provide the exact specifications for mounting the hdplex 400 ac-dc?

I need it for... Purposes.
Thanks Josh for replying! I'm actually subscribed to your discord, I've watched a few of your videos on youtube. That makes sense, for what you said. I noticed kind of late that the heatsink on the rx 580 v1 goes up to the shroud so there wasn't enough room. I didn't know about the difference between transverse and parallel fins though, that's interesting. So if if you have parallel fins, stick with what the manufacturer has. Got it. I guess I could cut out a noctua fan out of its plastic frame, bit nervous about doing that. Maybe one day, as a project. Wish the fans were screwed into the frame, so it wouldn't be as difficult. If I do plan to remove the fan out of its frame, any suggestions for cutting tools? Dremel? I have no experience with a CNC or any cutting tool. I can so soldering.

Files and a pair of side snips my man. The best tool for the job is usually the simplest and least expensive. :)

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
@Josh | NFC i have a set of black panels from the last run of the s4m. will they fit with the new batch? will the new run have black panels as an option? thanks for the constant community engagement!

t_sale

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2018
Anyone looking for a brick less build? I have a Skyreach and an Inno3d 2070 to sell. All tested and work on test bench. Work and masters has led me down the laptop route unfortunately.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019

Just wanted to drop in and say: When Josh says he is an email away he really is.
I was back and forth with him over a week or so and he was extremely quick and helpful with responses.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC i have a set of black panels from the last run of the s4m. will they fit with the new batch? will the new run have black panels as an option? thanks for the constant community engagement!

Not counting my chickens before they are hatched, so knock on wood, IF I get the MINI ordered up and made, then yes, the plan is for it to have the same dimensions. So you can use your old side panels on it. The SkySlots will be different, but other than it should be identical.

Black panels are very tricky to offer stock. There is a list of reasons why I am afraid of black panels, but I am going to try for it. Like I said, it isn't real until I write the check for them, but black is in the plan and I am ordering samples and working out some of the bugs.

Peace

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Not counting my chickens before they are hatched, so knock on wood, IF I get the MINI ordered up and made, then yes, the plan is for it to have the same dimensions. So you can use your old side panels on it. The SkySlots will be different, but other than it should be identical.

Black panels are very tricky to offer stock. There is a list of reasons why I am afraid of black panels, but I am going to try for it. Like I said, it isn't real until I write the check for them, but black is in the plan and I am ordering samples and working out some of the bugs.

Peace

Where can I find more information on differences between current gen case and this new case you're talking about? :)
Thanks!