Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Hello there! *
I had my hands on ruffly 15 NUCs now and today I did another 15 for a school :D
This time I used the new ones with this specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-8109U (2 Cores / 4 Threads, 3,00 - 3,60 Ghz) -- 28W TDP
RAM: 2x DDR4 SO-DIMM (not included)
Storage: 1x 2,5" + 1x M.2 PCIe x4 (not included)
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 -- HDMI 2.0a; USB-C (DP1.2)
Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0, W-LAN, GBit-LAN
2x front and 3x rear USB 3.1 Gen2; 2x USB 2.0 via internal headers
1x Thunderbolt 3

(W x H x D) 11,70 cm x 5,10 cm x 11,20 cm -- 0.66 litre

Such an awesome Mini-PC! I really love NUCs and I cannot lie :D
Seeing Thunderbolt 3 added to this new NUC generation is great!

Front 10Gbps USB, Headphone Combo Jack, Infrared Receiver

Kensington Lock and SD Card Reader

Powerjack for the 65W PSU, HDMI 2.0a, Gigabit-LAN, another pair of USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3!

Ventilation

Just 4 screws need to be removed

Look at this tiny UCFF (4x4" or ~10x10cm) mainboard :D

Sadly its not easy to access the CPU cooler without ripping some thing apart. The CPU is soldered anyway.

Thats it, have a nice day :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BaK and owliwar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Most of your images (all except the last and third-to-last one) are showing up as "access denied" signs. I think you need to make them public in Google Photos or some such?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Nice to get a close look at these :)

Do you know if they are capable of receiving power through the TB3 port? 'Cause those power bricks are massive, especially for being a paltry 65W.

Crossfire Machines

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Nice to get a close look at these :)

Do you know if they are capable of receiving power through the TB3 port? 'Cause those power bricks are massive, especially for being a paltry 65W.

Oh and I just noticed the PSUs are 90W
See here: 12,5cm x 4,5cm in size

I think Intel uses the same PSUs for all their NUCs of this generation, so they have to support an Intel i7 NUC too

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Oh and I just noticed the PSUs are 90W
See here: 12,5cm x 4,5cm in size

I think Intel uses the same PSUs for all their NUCs of this generation, so they have to support an Intel i7 NUC too
That makes sense (economics of scale and so on), even if the size of that makes me a bit queasy when I compare it to my 60W Innergie laptop adapter :p Looks comparable to the old 90W ThinkPad adapters I have lying around, and size has a certain correlation to cooling ability, so I guess it's sensible for something meant for permanent installation. It's just a shame I really can't stand power bricks :p

Reactions: BikingViking11

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Sadly I dont have an TB3 GPU dock
Have you tried Thunderbolt networking? It's pretty awesome. Completely plug-and-play, transfer speeds are amazing (your SATA SSDs will definitely be the bottleneck!), and needs no special cabling. Should work with any 10Gbps-rated USB-C cable, at least at 1m length or below - at least it worked fine with the cable that came with my Lacie external HDD :) Could be useful if you need to transfer a bunch of data between these.